• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Chilton and Motor Manuals

Kwiens

I spent the entire Labor Day weekend cleaning up my departed parent's stuff. My Dad, along with his dad and uncle, had an auto repair shop in our small hometown that closed after my dad had a stroke. We sold the building, tools and parts inventory several years ago but I still have about 100 shop manuals ranging in date from the 1950's to the early 1990's. Don't worry, I've kept the 1957 Chevrolet manuals as well as the manuals from the 1930's & 1940's (most are manufacturer's manuals)! My question is this: are they worth anything, and how would one go about selling these manuals? It seems to me that shipping costs would be rather high as they are heavy. I've thought about Ebay and Craigslist any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Kevin,

I am thinking Ebay would be your best to get the best price. Some guy if you can find him may want the whole thing and then you wouldn't have to deal with each individual item.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I think they're worth something! I have a late '60s F/L/M car and an early 60s Ford truck Chilton. I won't loan out either one. Go for eBay. Someone who wants one won't let the shipping bother them too much...if the bidding doesn't get too high.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I think Amazon might be better than Ebay if you want to sell the books individually.

Craigslist is ideal for selling locally, but in this case you want to reach a national audience.

Kwiens

Thanks guys!!

I'll inventory the manuals this weekend and then determine how to list them on Ebay. I've never sold anything on Ebay so I'll research the costs.

Oh, and I'm keeping the 1935 Ford manual, it's so cool........it has my Grandpa's smudges from his greasy fingers!

Thanks again,

Kevin

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Kevin......Definitely go the ebay or amazon route.........

The USPS has a cheaper "book' rate for shipping items such as these: Media Mail.

Just add in the rate to the auction listing so people know up front what shipping will be.
I think you will be amazed what some will pay for old service books such as these.

Good luck

Tom

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
What ya got for '94 GM CK series pickups and '95 Blazer?

crush1.JPG