• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

cat purchase

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
We are considering the purchase of a pinroth trooper,and would appreciate any input from the forum regarding this machine. Ease of maintence,reliability,factory support,price of parts,etc.,; primary use being remote access with occasional grooming. :unsure: ALL COMMENTS WELCOME !

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I had talked with Garry Olsen AK moose federation they just bought a prinnoth he loves it compared to the bombardier they also have. the prinnoth has a 2 speed drive system where the bomber only has a single speed drive and they can get on site so much faster with the prinnoth.

I've been doing a lot of research into cats lately and I'd say the Prinoth would accomplish what you want pretty well.

I'm assuming if you're doing remote access and you chose the Trooper over the Husky it's because you're trying to bring more than two people along. That pretty much withdraws Pisten Bully completely besides their Scout model but I'm not sure how well a Scout would do grooming since it's only got 99hp.

The other option I see you having is a Tucker.

http://www.sno-cat.com/2000-173HP-Sno-Cat.html

That's the model that comes to my mind as being comparable. There's others available, for example they make a version of that cat with 300HP vs. 173HP if you required a bit more power.

They also make the 1644 (http://www.sno-cat.com/1644-Sno-Cat.html) which can hold six people and has a cargo deck on the back like the prinoth. The Tuckers will probably be cheaper to maintain though.

Last edited:

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you snowcatnome and backcountrycrew. I personally am a HUGE tucker fan(great machine and good factory support); however I am not the only decision maker on what cat to purchase. We may end up going with tucker,but would really appreciate more input on the pinroth TROOPER. ALL OPINIONS WELCOME !:unsure:

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi Northcoast,

We bought our first Sno-Cat in 1960 and have had several more since then. The support from the people at Tucker has always been more than what we ever expected. I owned and operated an over snow transportation and cross country trail grooming business for about thirty years. Many of the trips were to the top of a mountain to service antennas for communication companies. Six feet of new snow was not uncommon for these trips and for the grooming. I only used Tucker Sno-Cats for this. I have had my Tucker on the same snow on the same day with other machines and in deep snow, have never had another machine able to go the same places. The four track system allows full traction in a corner which a two track will not have. The ride comfort is also smoother for passengers and operator due to the two axles ability to conform to non level surfaces and the ability of the tracks to pivot on the axle housings. Good luck with your search.