• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

st-4 and aircraft crash recovery

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I will get the pics up tonight or tomorrow, I'm going back out to get the snow trac before the road blows in. I got a call last night to go out on the ice 10 miles out of town to pull a crashed Cessna 170 off the ice we had to be plenty creative as there isn't much snow yet.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not enough Ice for the big boy? could have just pushed the fuselage along in front?

Hope the crashees faired ok.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
a couple of my pics from the aircraft recovery this weekend. it would have been cool to get more, but with the wind kicking up to 30 it was all hands on deck trying to hold this bird down.

Attachments

• IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 422

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
From the looks of the plane I woud say some one was very lucky indeed. Of the landing gear had held up, very little damage to the plane. Now wonder you were asked to trailer it back to Nome.

So you chained it to the trailer and pulled it home? How did you get it on the trailer??

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
From the looks of the plane I woud say some one was very lucky indeed. Of the landing gear had held up, very little damage to the plane. Now wonder you were asked to trailer it back to Nome.

So you chained it to the trailer and pulled it home? How did you get it on the trailer??

Regards, Kirk
yes I was now imagine the fun of towing it with wings on on a 2 lane road in the dark we got it home with no damage to street signs or the plane.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Still wondering how they managed to trailer the plane out there on the ice. No fork lift or crane that I can see anyway....

Doesn't even look like the prop hit the ice either. Maybe a dead engine duh....

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
eight big burley guys 1 mouthy 16 year old and one middle aged woman. we lifted the bad side and tail rolled it up to the trailer and with some rocking stacked a few pallets under it .

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I forgot about this pic as the plane was tied down and ready to move off the ice.

Attachments

• IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 399

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
as heavy as the trailer was it would have probably ripped the wings off. but holding the tail down in the wind was work I had my turn at it

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I had anothe4r out of town job to do I was trying to get it done this weekend but it didn't happen the road is blocked with 5 foot drifts now so I will have to pull a Nixon next weekend and camp out in -20 weather. I will take the camera along to photograph it should be an adventure.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Usually we haul the Snow Cat on the dual axel car trailer, instead of the trailer being pulled by the snow cat. Nice job!

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Lyndon that same combo would also work well to get Big Al's kristi out on to the snow

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had anothe4r out of town job to do I was trying to get it done this weekend but it didn't happen the road is blocked with 5 foot drifts now so I will have to pull a Nixon next weekend and camp out in -20 weather. I will take the camera along to photograph it should be an adventure.

We need to get you a Mobiba tent than...

Quick setup & wood stove in it makes it all better..., I love my setup...

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is what I use...

I just ordered 2 more from them, sometime before February should arrive.

Manufacturer even put my "Nikson's Overland Adventures" logo on them...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwy7681lfq4"]Mobiba MB-104 - YouTube[/ame]