• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

74' Thiokol Spryte 1200B - New Life.

OrangeSnowYeti

Earlier in the yr. we picked up a 74' Thiokol 1200B that was bought new by the corp of engineers for the Wynochee Dam project in Washington state. There it lived for the rest of its days in a shed, being used some winters, some not to shuttle workers depending on snowfall. We were very happy to find her and have the chance to bring her home to Oregon. My dad has been meticulously going thru it late summer and fall. She is now tight as a drum and about all the gremlins are worked out and some functional additions have been made. There has been a long list, but man these cats are cool! Who else on here has one? Cheers ?

Attachments

• IMG_2179.jpg
    IMG_2179.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_2273.jpg
    IMG_2273.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_2181.jpg
    IMG_2181.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_2131.jpg
    IMG_2131.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_1988.jpg
    IMG_1988.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_1987.jpg
    IMG_1987.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 316

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
That model is a great machine. It was my 1st cat,if it had come with a blade,would still have it. Thanks for the pictures,looks brand new!

PJL

Nice machine. Mine came from the Navy. It was used to access a large mountain antenna array. 1988 LMC1200 with less than 300 hours on the clock. Once I cleaned out the mouse nests and bird droppings it looks pretty sharp.

OrangeSnowYeti

Thanks for the positive responses.. Looking forward to attending a few cat meet ups this winter and meeting a few in the PNW snowcat community. We have been snowmobiling 30+ years and just recently stepped into the cat world for the first time. We have been wanting one for a long time and just never fouond the right one or right deal until this 1200B came along.

So far.. Head pulled and rebuilt/machined, winch bumper built, Warn winch added, new exhaust and exhaust manifold built and installed, heater core previouse improper install pulled apart and corrected, new thermostat, remanned the radiator, new starter, dual batteries relocated to box on bed, in cab factory 15gal fuel tank removed and replaced with 22gal fuel cell in box on the deck, new passenger seat mounting fabricated and installed making the passenger seat same height and cab location as drivers, new front seats, recovered factory rear seat, New headlights, new wooden deck bed installed along with additional bed frame bracing, new rubber horse stall mats made to fit on the bed on top of the wood, new amber dual overhead rotating beacon (gotta be official ya know), factory grousers straightened, aligned, welded and braced, Stereo and LED lighting on its way in the big brown bus.. Luckily the OC-12 rear diff and turning brakes were serviced with all new parts by the maint division state of WA just before our purchase.. story has it there was a failure of some kind that required them to pull the cat for a distance backwards which damaged the turning brake system and required teardown.. The NP435 4Speed trans is a bit of a howler so that is on the list, If we cannot find a suitable and reasonable means of adding an overdrive gear to an NP435 in 4th or a 5 speed bolt in alternate.. that will get rebuilt likely next year. This thing is a bit too low geared for our usage Looking forward to lots of snowcat adventures to come. :brows:

The glorious day we picked her up in WA >>>>>>>>:coolshade

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1276.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1276.jpeg
    342.7 KB · Views: 289

PJL

The big northwest cat gathering is in McCall Idaho next year. http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=74282

It's amazing how much work these "running" cats need. Mine had ATF in the brake system requiring a rebuild of the steering system. Lots of cleaning and minor tasks to do. First time out it kept stalling and flooding the carb. Spilling gasoline onto a sizzling hot exhaust manifold. I really thought it was going to burn to the ground. Got that fixed after a carb overhaul, new filters and tank pulled and cleaned. A 45 gallon tank by the way. Had the automatic trans and diff fluids changed this spring. First time out this season it broke a timing gear. Waiting on that fix right now.

OrangeSnowYeti

The big northwest cat gathering is in McCall Idaho next year. http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=74282

It's amazing how much work these "running" cats need. Mine had ATF in the brake system requiring a rebuild of the steering system. Lots of cleaning and minor tasks to do. First time out it kept stalling and flooding the carb. Spilling gasoline onto a sizzling hot exhaust manifold. I really thought it was going to burn to the ground. Got that fixed after a carb overhaul, new filters and tank pulled and cleaned. A 45 gallon tank by the way. Had the automatic trans and diff fluids changed this spring. First time out this season it broke a timing gear. Waiting on that fix right now.

would agree and we are likely going to be in Mccall with it in February.. For over two months now we have been coming and going from the shop daily in it working out and discovering new gremlins. This thing sat for a long time so we went straight for the motor this summer and got the big stuff tackled, radiator, hoses, top end/head and exhaust.. when we picked it up it was a smoking beltching runner but barely. Luckily the diff and steering brakes were fresh as was the new carb.

So now we are getting to use it and it gets more reliable daily.