• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Foam tire removal from wheel

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
Give me a brake !:yum: What is the trick to getting that tire off whitout damaging the wheel ?
I cut a 45 pie shape down to the bead . The tire isnt wanting to come off . Tomorrow I plan to try cutting down the center of the tire all the way around then try and get a crow bar in there to wedge it off :sad:
Any great ideas out there on removing a foam time with no intertube ?

:whistling:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Acetone should dissolve the foam and allow you to move the bead away from the rim and cut it. Then get a good wire wheel for a grinder to clean up the rim.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
It was my understanding on Bobcat tires filled w/ foam that when the tread wore out you get it recapped. Since you've already cut the tire I guess that's not possible.
Mike

the old trucker

Here in NL., Canada they put a new tube inside a new tire on the rim & perma fil the tube. Last forever...If you did it with an old cracked tire they swell outta shape. (knobby)

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
if you have the rubber type compound you are going to have to cut it off i had to do this with a couple of forklift tires took a chain saw to them 180 degrees apart than had to torch the bead cables good luck i never want to do that again

brianf

I cut a big u shape piece out of tire with saws all then get a large chizel and put it between rim and tire, then cut the steel cords in tire around bead, tire wil just roll off rim

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
You got a lot of cutting to do. Don't burn it off, it will change the temper of the rim and be worthless and dangerous to reuse. After cutting to the rim you will need to cut the steel wiring in the bead to get them lose since you can't break the bead in a normal fashion.

Much easier to buy a new rim if possible!

Normally, I make a straight cut down one side of the tire making a pass as close to the rim as possible!

Most foam filled tires are done with a tube inside, if not they bond to the rim and make it even harder. If they have a tube, when you make the cut I discribed, you can take a razor and cut above the bead on both sides and easily remove the tire casing, then cut down into the foam with the knife and remove the tube part. Then just the bead remains to deal with.

Good luck!

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys ! that was going to be a pain .
Cutting a foam filled tire off the wheel with a sawsall metal blade and a good sized vice . I took one cut straight down to the wheel with out blemishing the wheel. Then I cut a u shape cut out . The two pieces came right out . Sliding a wedge screwdriver between the bead and wheel ( carefully woithout blemishing the wheel ) my help cut the bead of the tire with a small bolt cutter . Taking a crowbar I sllowly wedged the tire off the wheel to the side . You will need to open the vice and turn the tire ~ pealing the rest of the tire off . I had no intertube . The Foam tire had a sort of cured jell on the wheel between the foam and tire. I was amazed at how easy the tire came off the wheel with just a few shop tools . I didnt weigh the tire and wheel but I bet its 45 pounds .
I did some grouser work while apart . Tracks are in really good condition ,.,