• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hello from Bastimentos Panama !

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl. just a curiosity question. What breed of chickens are you using?
Good Question ??? Would I look really dumb if I said Brown and Black ones ?? Genaro tells me the white chickens have bones that are too brittle and they get hurt to easily ???? I have no idea what breed they are . I'll ask him .I know we got one little gay rooster running around here and if I catch him ,I'll ring his neck . He starts crowing at 2:30 each morning . All the other chickens hate him. So do I !!:wink:I call him "Gay Gordy" just to piss him off .:yum:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Because I just feel its what I need to do .Haiti needs the help and I have the ability to just maybe help them .Besides ,all this heat down here and in Haiti will do my waist line good !:wink:

Well you have a good heart, stay safe and keep off the ant hills...!

loboloco

Just wondering. Cornish giants are the 'meat' chicken of choice here.
Just for shits and giggles you might want to get some Auracanas or Americanas. They are good tough 'game' chickens, so could keep the yard bugs down. Also, they lay colored eggs.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Just wondering. Cornish giants are the 'meat' chicken of choice here.
Just for shits and giggles you might want to get some Auracanas or Americanas. They are good tough 'game' chickens, so could keep the yard bugs down. Also, they lay colored eggs.

Well ,I do know they are not Cornish game hens . They are much bigger and lay brown eggs . Whatever the ones that my caretaker has now are doing a pretty good job of getting after the bugs .

Today I have decided to take a new wife ! As a Honorary "Bugle" Chief ,I was laying in my official "Bugle" Hammock making important decisions and checking my eyes for leaks when I was bitten by a No-See-Em . I asked very nicely of the wife if she would stop doing whatever it was she was doing and come scratch my itch . You would have thought that she would realize how important my relaxation was while I was meditating. She actually told me to itch it myself ...

I have put the word out on the coconut telegraph and expect my new bride at any time now .
Some women just never learn how good they got it !!!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Spent the whole day downstairs in the shop building the coop for the laying hens . I should be done tomorrow . I even have water inside my shoes I was sweating so much !!!I bet I lost 10 pounds in water today !!

Going to try and bring in 200 chicks next week !!!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Change of Plans today which is pretty much the normal around here .

The artist decided to show up today so I spent the day making frames for the new murals he will be doing for us .
I learned a lot watching him . We had purchased the canvas for him and I built the frames base on the sizes of canvas ......WRONG!!!!. The artist painted each piece of canvas with a white glue and paint mix and when it dried ,it shrunk up 4 " in the length ! I ended of recutting every frame !After stapling each piece in place he painted it again with the same mixture and the canvas is stretched beyond belief !Its like a banjo string now .

He will start the underwater coral reef scene tomorrow . It is 10' long and 4'6" wide .

#2 will be Dolphins jumping out of the water and it will be 8' long and 4'6" wide.

#3 will be a jungle scene and end up at 5' square .

I've seen this guys work and it is pretty incredible so if it turns out as good as I believe it will we will then have him start doing paintings in each room .
I'm taking pictures of each step as he goes and will start posting pictures tomorrow .

We decided to have a big party this coming Saturday night and invite the local families for Hamburgers and hotdogs . Never had we bought local hotdogs down here but the wife wanted to do a trail run before Saturday night so I was the Guinea Pig last night . She cooked up the hot dogs on the grill and they turned Black :unsure:????? Turns out the hotdogs down here are in a clear plastic casing that must be cut off first !!! Live and learn . The dogs did not seem to mine the plastic taste at all .
Just another day in Panama !!:yum::w00t2:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
When I had them even my neighbors used to freak over blue and green eggs.

I think I better just stay with Brown eggs . I am not sure how the locals would handle seeing green eggs . I am hoping to bring in the first 200 chicks this next week .

Serious time .... I was talking with Genaro today and he was talking to me about the way the locals pollute their own beautiful water and beaches down here . Its a constant battle and each morning I have the men rake the beach area of plastic bags , flip flops. Plastic coke bottles and so forth . Genaro is a amazing man and knows his own people are the cause of their own problems when the tourist do not come because of trash .The local boat comes by twice a week to haul away the trash to the dump from my place .
I can't tell you how many septic systems I have designed so the sewer is not dumped in the seas .
I'm trying to save the coral reef out front of the property but it may be too late . Only time will tell .
You would think an area that depends on tourist dollars to survive would realize that they are causing there own problems .

Its almost funny because locals stop by and tell me how beautiful my place is because it is so clean ...... They could easily do the same thing ..Go figure .:mellow:

loboloco

Same thing in Belize, Honduras, Guatemala, etc... They don't have the thinking as yet of the damage they are doing.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
It drives me crazy ! Thank God I am removed from most of it . The Indians who are working for me want to be here and learn . I enjoy their company and can see that they suck up knowledge like a sponge . The Blacks and the Whites down here had better get their head out of their ass , as the Indians are learning more everyday .They are good hearted hard working people .The Whites and blacks walk around like the world owes them something . Now I am not racist but it does not take a brain scientist to figure it out .

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like they need a recycling incentive program. The local Amish kids pick up bottles all the time to get the nickle refund and I encourage them and give them mine to add a little incentive. I used to do it as a kid all the time. 2 cents for a pop bottle and 5 cents for quarts. Made good spending money doing it. Litter is one of my pet peeves and the Amish know I will stop my vehicle and make them pick it up if they toss anything while riding with me.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I think I better just stay with Brown eggs . I am not sure how the locals would handle seeing green eggs . I am hoping to bring in the first 200 chicks this next week .

Serious time .... I was talking with Genaro today and he was talking to me about the way the locals pollute their own beautiful water and beaches down here . Its a constant battle and each morning I have the men rake the beach area of plastic bags , flip flops. Plastic coke bottles and so forth . Genaro is a amazing man and knows his own people are the cause of their own problems when the tourist do not come because of trash .The local boat comes by twice a week to haul away the trash to the dump from my place .
I can't tell you how many septic systems I have designed so the sewer is not dumped in the seas .
I'm trying to save the coral reef out front of the property but it may be too late . Only time will tell .
You would think an area that depends on tourist dollars to survive would realize that they are causing there own problems .

Its almost funny because locals stop by and tell me how beautiful my place is because it is so clean ...... They could easily do the same thing ..Go figure .:mellow:

Just don't be known as the rich "Gringo", you may set yourself up to be robbed... Not a neat thing to think about, but there are those that don't think rationally to start with.

Stay safe!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Just don't be known as the rich "Gringo", you may set yourself up to be robbed... Not a neat thing to think about, but there are those that don't think rationally to start with.

Stay safe!

You are exactly right ! I see Gringos throw money around down here than piss and moan when they get taken . One guy ( A local gringo for 15 years) was pissed because he got mugged on the other island at 3 AM in the park coming from a local bar . He had been flashing around $300 bucks ! What a knucklekead

I carry very little cash and have My secretary handle all the bills . Most days I work side by side with my workers to show them I also am use to working .We talk often about how expensive items are . They all know my past and how I worked my way up in life . I never act or think I am better than they are.They visit and we share food in my home and we are friends .I have spent 10 years building this level of trust and friendship with them .
I seen other vacant homes robbed in the area but never has my home been touched .

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good thing your wife wanted to do the trial run on the hot dogs. I'm sure the locals would have gotten a good laugh had you served up the 'black' dogs Saturday night but it's better you won't make that silly gringo impression on your first cookout for the neighbors. :yum:

Sounds like you are indeed doing it right ...working with them and not putting yourself on a pedestal above them. I'm sure they all appreciate that. No one likes to be talked down to or looked down on.

I've told some friends of your place and what all you are doing down there. Everyone agrees you are surely doing it right and we are all a wee bit jealous, or a whole lot jealous :D

How about some pics of the cookout Saturday. We are living vicariously through you! :D :beer: (What kind of beer do you have down there? Much of a variety to choose from?)

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
You are exactly right ! I see Gringos throw money around down here than piss and moan when they get taken . One guy ( A local gringo for 15 years) was pissed because he got mugged on the other island at 3 AM in the park coming from a local bar . He had been flashing around $300 bucks ! What a knucklekead

I carry very little cash and have My secretary handle all the bills . Most days I work side by side with my workers to show them I also am use to working .We talk often about how expensive items are . They all know my past and how I worked my way up in life . I never act or think I am better than they are.They visit and we share food in my home and we are friends .I have spent 10 years building this level of trust and friendship with them .
I seen other vacant homes robbed in the area but never has my home been touched .

Sounds like you have a very good working relationship with the locals, that is great. I would be more concerned with those that aren't, but you know the lay of the land better than I do and know what to watch out for. It is the drug related crimes that bother me, they have no real reason other than a junkie want another fix and they do a crime without any thought of the results or damage other than the current fix.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Good thing your wife wanted to do the trial run on the hot dogs. I'm sure the locals would have gotten a good laugh had you served up the 'black' dogs Saturday night but it's better you won't make that silly gringo impression on your first cookout for the neighbors. :yum:

Sounds like you are indeed doing it right ...working with them and not putting yourself on a pedestal above them. I'm sure they all appreciate that. No one likes to be talked down to or looked down on.

I've told some friends of your place and what all you are doing down there. Everyone agrees you are surely doing it right and we are all a wee bit jealous, or a whole lot jealous :D

How about some pics of the cookout Saturday. We are living vicariously through you! :D :beer: (What kind of beer do you have down there? Much of a variety to choose from?)

Well dang Doc ! The damn door is open for cryin out loud ! Come on Down !I'll grab a bunch of pictures tomorrow night too

Sounds like you have a very good working relationship with the locals, that is great. I would be more concerned with those that aren't, but you know the lay of the land better than I do and know what to watch out for. It is the drug related crimes that bother me, they have no real reason other than a junkie want another fix and they do a crime without any thought of the results or damage other than the current fix.

Believe it or not we really don't have much problem with local drug crime here . Its the damn surfer bums from other countries that are always stoned .The local police are "Hell on Wheels" if they catch a local on drugs . The druggies are off too the prison island before they know what happened and that is a place no one wants to be at !!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Holy Cow ! This Artist is amazing! He makes it look so easy . We have decided to have him start drawing on the walls in every room .Karen plans to have him paint flying parrots in every bedroom . Bananas and coconuts in the kitchen and flowers and hummingbirds in the bathrooms Guys that can do this are so interesting to watch !! We have waited a year to get him here to do these paintings for us . He thinks he may have the big reef scene completed tomorrow .

Attachments

• paintings 011.jpg
    paintings 011.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 103
  • paintings 013.jpg
    paintings 013.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 107
  • paintings 014.jpg
    paintings 014.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 106
  • paintings 017.jpg
    paintings 017.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 106

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
As far as beer we have Coors, Bud . Heiniken,Balboa, Atlas ,Corona and a whole bunch of other ones. This country runs on beer !

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Carlos sits on a damn 5 gallon paint bucket and makes it look so simple !!Talk about a God given talent! I can only wish I could draw like that !!

Attachments

• paintings 006.jpg
    paintings 006.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 111
  • paintings 015.jpg
    paintings 015.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 103

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well ,it poured here last night ! My rain water tanks were down to about 1300 -1500 gallons and this morning I had 2600 gals in them . Completly full and overflowing . Wife is catching up on washing today . Looks like we are in for more tonight. Its black clouds looking East !!!Company arrives next week so we will be all ready to do some serious enteraining .
Chickens should start arriving next Thursday . 200 on the first order !!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Loving the art work Al. Is he going to paint the birds in the pics as well? Hope you are enjoying your time in the sun and warmth.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Loving the art work Al. Is he going to paint the birds in the pics as well? Hope you are enjoying your time in the sun and warmth.

Yes he is . He uses a pencil to draw everything out first , He told us tonight he was not happy with the reef scene and plans to add more marine life tommorrow .

Its raining here tonight . About 85 degrees or so . We just finished dinner out on the covered deck . I love the rain as it cools everything down .The jungle is pretty quiet tonight . I guess all the critters went to bed early .
I think may follow their lead !

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I used to collect bottles and take them back to the store for refund too.

We never threw stuff out the window; still do not and teach my son the same. When I was growing up and we went camping or out 4-wheelin in the Jeep, we always, always carried out more than we carried in. This was long before "Leave No Trace" and similar programs.

Sounds like they need a recycling incentive program. I will stop my vehicle and make them pick it up if they toss anything while riding with me.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Its quiet here today . The caretakers family has gone to church and I am hanging out in the hammock . Have not got out of my PJ's and don't intend too . Its just a lazy day .

The Bar-b-que went well last night . Wow ! Can they eat some food . I got a good laugh as they took napkins and made little bags to carry anything that was not eaten home . We had a great time and even though it was half Spanish and have English we still laughed and enjoyed the night .I'll try to get some pictures up of the event later.Everybody said they were full ,but just kept eating until I had cooked everything we had LOL!

The artist is doing amazing work . His attention to detail is amazing . He only took 3 months of lessons to learn to paint but I honestly believe he has a God given talent to be able to piant like that . I'll try to load some pictures .The wife is now having him paint murals in every room ,after seeing his work .I told him there is only one critter he is NOT ALLOWED to piant in any murals,,,, Snakes! I hate them .The guys think that is funny as hell considering my size . They keep saying they will bring down a big Boa from the top of the property so the artist can use him as a model to piant one for me ! I told them everyone would be FIRED if they did. LOL

Attachments

• painting and barbque 021.jpg
    painting and barbque 021.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 165
  • painting and barbque 023.jpg
    painting and barbque 023.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 172
  • painting and barbque 019.jpg
    painting and barbque 019.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 165
  • painting and barbque 025.JPG
    painting and barbque 025.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 166

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Al...remember your KT-47 (or whatever) thread that was like 842 pages long and got deleted six times?

You might want to break up your Panama threads in the future just to be sure you don't lose another long thread. :yum:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
After 3 days of cloudy weather and rain mixed in all the water tanks are now full . We were down to 80% on the solar batterys ,after all the washing and drying the wife has been doing the last 3 days . Today broke with clear skys and the Solar panels went to work pouring the solar power into the system . We are now back to full batterys and the system is on float . I love this solar system and it just seems like the Solar techology is getting better every year . Its the best thing I did down here .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Al...remember your KT-47 (or whatever) thread that was like 842 pages long and got deleted six times?

You might want to break up your Panama threads in the future just to be sure you don't lose another long thread. :yum:

Smart Ass !

It was only 799 pages and got lost 5 times LOL:biggrin:

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Al I got up to our cabin and looked at the frig vacuumed out the flue lit it up it cold up in about 6 hrs about normal.
I took a look later and the burner is still running full tilt cranked the thermostat back to get it to go to pilot and full tilt on burner.
Do you know were to get the servel style controls? I drew a blank on the web.

tom