• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hello from Bastimentos Panama !

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well .... We finally made it to Bastimentos Island Panama . What a overland trip that was from David to Almerranti , the seaport town on the Caribbean side . The road must have had 25 huge mud slides and many times I was looking down at a 1000 foot cliff where the road use to be .Many now huge waterfalls .We climbed through the rain forest and it was beautiful .At times we could not see 100 feet through the mist and rain .

Arrived 5 hours later to the Island to find the men surprized to see us . They did not expect to see us for a few more days ,Seems like they had never got the message we were coming in today . The house was perfect and I was very happy to find it cleaned and ready after being away 10 months . Flipped the switch and the solar system came on !
Within a hour I had the gas refridgerators, hot water heater, and rain water system on line and ready to use . I was amazed to find
a bottle of Rum and a case of beer waiting for me in the kitchen !

It rained most the next day ,but yesterday the sun woke us up and it has been clear and hot ever since . We have a new group of night creatures called Manpaches (sp). A kind of raccoon looking animal that are all love sick . I made the mistake of mimicking their night call and they been talking all night ever since !
We have a new pair a blue headed parrots that move into the tree by the bedroom . Good God , they make a lot of noise.

The jungle comes alive at night with new sounds . What a experience!

I am working on the new chicken houses for Genaro and the Indian population and construction material is starting to come in . Should have the first one built next week .Chickens should arrive in about two weeks .

Hired 3 more men to help wash and repaint the house . So far I have $25 dollars invested in labor and the house will be done being washed with a bleach solution tomorrow .Turns out the house did not need painting just a good washing .

Internet antenna was installed today so now I can sit on the deck and type this instead of traveling to the main island . Thats fine with me as I am mostly a home body once I arrive .
Heres a picture I took today .

Attachments

• Panama 007.JPG
    Panama 007.JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 431

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Buddy, glad you got there OK and things are going well. Hope the chicken operation works out good for you and the locals. They are probably as excited as you to see it coming together so they have another food source. Glad that internet setup is working so we can get regular reports. Take care and take it easy!! This is supposed to be a vacation property. Bill:flowers:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad you made it there safely. Many of us will live vicariously through you in Panama. Please share pictures whenever you can.

How was the rum and the beer?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Ecuador late this year or early next year for me, at least a visit with a check book.

Enjoy the weather whilst we suffer 40 degree rainy foggy miserable days/

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Glad you made it there safely. Many of us will live vicariously through you in Panama. Please share pictures whenever you can.

How was the rum and the beer?

The Rum and beer were great ! I picked up 4 more big bottles of Rum in David as it is much cheaper and had it shipped over along with a new ping pong table and Bar-B-Que . Trouble is the table showed up in two pieces with no hardware to put it together . Maybe by Friday I will have it .

Buenas Noche

Attachments

• birds.jpg
    birds.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 399

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Your pictures are fuzzy, are you having problems holding the camera steady :beer:

You should look inside my head if you think the pictures look fussy .LOL:yum:

Actually thats the wifes new camera and I have no idea what I am doing

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Haleconias

Attachments

• panama2010 033.jpg
    panama2010 033.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 355

bill w

we have -20 below and 15 mph winds here.........it would be great to be bigal.....we are soooooo envious...more pics..Bill w

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Front walk to Dock and Rancho (swim platform). For some reason pictures are loading really slow :sad::unsure:

Attachments

• panama2010 029.jpg
    panama2010 029.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 279

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Your pictures are much easier to view already this morning. Did you set the camera to Macro or have you not started the rum yet?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
The old hand carved boat . This was made from one tree and is 31 feet long ! I retired it last year .

Going to try and do some swimming in the lagoon this evening . Water is about 85 degrees . very warm ...

The workmen started planting the wifes garden and flowers today . She has about 30 types of veg seeds .

Waiting for more material for the chicken coops so today was a short work day .

Attachments

• panama2010 034.jpg
    panama2010 034.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 267

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Your pictures are much easier to view already this morning. Did you set the camera to Macro or have you not started the rum yet?
I sobered up and turned over all camera work to the wife .:clap:

Also had smoked tuna sandwiches for lunch :biggrin:. Why can't I find this stuff in the states ? They have all kinds of mixed Tuna here .The jalapeno tuna is fanastic ! Has a little bite to it .

Ok I got to go break up a humming bird fight .... Why is it the littlest hummingbird wants to be the boss of the feeder.:unsure:We have 4 feeders out and this little guy is killing himself trying to save all 4 for himself .LOL .He will now let me get about 12 inches from him . I'll have him sitting on my finger soon.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I had one once as I was filling the feeder come up and feed, I just stood still while he feed. Beautiful creature.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Taking a walk in the jungle today . You pay close attention to where you step and also to your surroundings . The jungle never sleeps and is always alive with new sounds and strange sights . Elephant Ear plants are everywhere . This picture was taken up behind the house .

Attachments

• panama2010 010.jpg
    panama2010 010.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 159

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Traveling the raised path into the jungle .It took the 10 guys a week to build this small section of trail over the swamp, when we first bought the property . . The trees are Mangrove trees .The root system is crazy on these trees .The animals love to live in them .

Buenas Noche !

Attachments

• panama2010 007.jpg
    panama2010 007.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 164

loboloco

BigAl, just remember, to most critters there you are just large slow lunch. Be careful with the fauna. You probably already know this, but a reminder never hurts.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl, just remember, to most critters there you are just large slow lunch. Be careful with the fauna. You probably already know this, but a reminder never hurts.

Yes I know . But today I slipped off by myself.Usually the dog goes with me . I was one with nature today.

I also been told I probably taste like chicken !LOL:sad: Nothing is wasted in the jungle . It returns to the earth and mother nature very quickly .

Also ,when I am scare I can run really well !:unsure::yum: I been observed out running the times of most fast world class runners .:clap::yum:

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Al just curious what type of set up do you have for the solar?

I have solar set up at my cabin

4 mitsi 150 panels out back charge controller out back inverter and 8 Trojan L16's
grundfos sq flex pump in 450 foot well to 1250 gallon cistern
antique servel frig gas lights range and water heater.

tom

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Al just curious what type of set up do you have for the solar?

I have solar set up at my cabin

4 mitsi 150 panels out back charge controller out back inverter and 8 Trojan L16's
grundfos sq flex pump in 450 foot well to 1250 gallon cistern
antique servel frig gas lights range and water heater.

tom

We have a 2500 watt 24 volt system with a Air Marine wind generator with a 3500 watt generator back up .We never use the generator even when doing the washing or drying of cloths . Rain Water system is 2600 gallons with a Shur Flow 24V pump . Refrig's are 2 side by side gas units with freezers on top and lastly we have a on demand hot water gas heater for are bathing needs . The system works extremely well .We have fans in every room and lots of lights . We use the low wattage / hi output bulbs in every light fixture .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Big Blue headed parrots in lots of trees this morning as we woke up. The most I have ever seen here on the place . Boy ! Can they make a racket ! No way anyone will sleep in today !Wifes running around with a camera trying to get some decent pictures .

Off to the other island to buy supplies .
Later Dudes :biggrin:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Evening Folks !

It was a Red letter day here in Panama . Beautiful weather !

The lumber for the chicken coops was delivered to the wrong dock and some SOB Gringo told the boys it was his ! I'm still looking for the SOB, to kick his ass ! . I can't believe someone would lie like that . It gives every gringo a bad name . Fortunately they got my lumber back and it came in this evening .
I told the men to show up late tommorow since they worked over waiting for the lumber tonight.

Its turned really hot ! I'll leave the fan on tonight to cool down the bedroom tonight . I sweated my ass off last night .
Its easy to lose weight here and I am down another 2 inches in my waist .

The sunset tonight was to die for and I have seen very few that can compare .

Tomorrow I will dive into the construction of the new chicken coops .

Buenas Noche ,

Big Al

Attachments

• Sunsets 007.jpg
    Sunsets 007.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 132

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Al your pictuers are great!!!
What fridges do you have the servel I have is a propane hog and I was looking to up grade next year? I was considering sunfrost electric but the propane is my preference at this point.

tom