• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cheese that aint cheese.....

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
.... and crab that isnt crab...

SOURCE: http://www.cracked.com/article/113_6-fake-foods-you-will-wish-you-didnt-have-in-your-kitchen/

2642.jpg
Most of you have likely never made your own cheese, at least not on purpose. But you probably have a general idea of how it's made. Something to do with milk, right? And they let it age or whatever? One way or another, a cow is involved, isn't it?
2667.jpg
And sure enough if you look at people who sell actual cheese you find on their ingredients all sorts of words like "milk" and "milkfat" and "cheese cultures."
But sitting right in the same aisle with the actual cheese you'll see a package like this:
2662.jpg
Note the careful omission of the word "cheese" from the package of "American slices" up there. These "pasteurized processed sandwich slices" are to cheese what a hobo is to, you know, someone with a home. The way the supplier's website puts it, the product "...resembles a Processed American Cheese in certain food applications."
2657.jpg

You know, in the right light, post-it notes kind of look like cheese too!
"Resembles" in "certain food applications"? Holy shit! They actually said that! By the way, we're pretty sure "certain food applications" means "sitting on the shelf next to actual cheese to fool poor people." Take a look at the ingredients, and after the first one you'll pretty much be lost:
"Water, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Food Starch, Casein and/or Caseinate, Whey, Modified Food Starch, Salt, Natural Flavor..."
Since the "natural flavor" ingredient is missing from the real cheese, that apparently means "chemical that makes it taste like cheese."
2645.jpg

Incredibly, this means that there is something less like cheese than Easy Cheese.
By the way, this isn't just an American thing. Dutch news reports found out that up to 40 percent of the "cheese" on their shelves is actually this cheese-like mixture of oil, starch and milk protein.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Maybe that is the 'Cheese that won't melt' distributed to school lunchrooms under some farm aid bill a while back.

The cafeteria ladies said the stuff was unusable in their recipes and wondered what it might have been made from.

Your Tax Dollars At Work.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Maybe that is the 'Cheese that won't melt' distributed to school lunchrooms under some farm aid bill a while back.

The cafeteria ladies said the stuff was unusable in their recipes and wondered what it might have been made from.

Your Tax Dollars At Work.

It was just another one of them government programs that did not work. Still am waiting for one to work.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The only thing those slices of crap are good for is on a quick grilled cheese sannie.
Otherwise, it's smoked cheddar sliced thin for me.. or baby swiss.

Or.. my newest love from the world of cheese.
This stuff is THE bomb!!:biggrin:

Gjetost_Product.jpg

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
PG - you got that right.
very tasty goat milk cheese you have pictured there.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Ski Queen CHEESE????? Interesting name. Is it dry? Crumbly?
It's smooth and creamy. The colour is brownish-orange.
First time I sampled it was at a store called The Andersons in their imports section. They had a tray sitting out with shaved curls of it next to some melon and white grapes. OMG!
You MUST find some!
Don't know where I am going to find it now that The Andersons has closed business. :neutral:
Dur, you were right, they WERE closing as well as a lot of the places in the mall when you visited Lima.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
It's smooth and creamy. The colour is brownish-orange.
First time I sampled it was at a store called The Andersons in their imports section. They had a tray sitting out with shaved curls of it next to some melon and white grapes. OMG!
You MUST find some!
Don't know where I am going to find it now that The Andersons has closed business. :neutral:
Dur, you were right, they WERE closing as well as a lot of the places in the mall when you visited Lima.

YOU are in LUCK!!!!!!!! I kid you not when I say I have a business card in front of my monitor just laying there and it is for CHEESE!!!!!
They are cheese distributors called Wiscon Co. and they happen to have a outlet 10 minutes away from me!!!! :brows:
I got the card so I could tell everyone on NCT but I just never have time to get over there. Anyhew, they have over 10,000 cheeses!!!! :w00t2:
On their card it says they are a Cheese Management Corporation.
The website is www.wisconcorp.com
Speak to Hala at 708.450.0469

Youre Welcome! :tiphat:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gourmet-Gjetost-Original-Goat-Cheese/dp/B0029XKUQ0"]Amazon.com: Gjetost Original Goat Cheese, (1 lb): Gourmet Food[/ame]

It looks like Fels-Naphtha soap, it cuts like aged Velveeta, it tastes like sweetened billy goat milk (yes, yes, I know your objection...), and I love it. I used to find it in markets in the Castro District of San Francisco, when that neighborhood was the true setting for "I Remember Mama", but the Scandinavian delis and the Norwegian Seamen's Mission have been replaced by leather bars, and gjetost (which simply means 'goat cheese' in Norse) has become hard to find outside Minnesota.
You scrape it with the cheese-cutter, as shown on the label of the Ski Queen brand. You serve it in Kavli or some other crispbread. You either love it or hate it, but don't expect to remain friends with a Scandinavian if you speak ill of it.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We are blessed to have 2 local cheese factories that make some of the best I have found. One is about 6 miles from my place and has the best 7 year aged sharp cheddar you would love. The Cuba cheese co. is another good one. they are 50 miles west of me. Both have lots of specialty cheese and have been around for a long time.