• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Rolling vs grass seed

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I need to do a few things to the yard.

Kill the crabgrass (a different thread).

I also need to roll and overseed.

For a roller, I'm bringing in a 3-ton ride on paving roller (with tamper).

Should I overseed then roll or roll then seed later?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Why don't you core aerate and de-thatch first, then seed, then roll. Then you will have lots of dirt exposed for the grass seed.

Grass will look beat up at first but will recover when it gets warmer out.

This is my plan but I'm just going to use a smallish tow behind roller as anything too big will probably cause more damage on steep hills.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I only have a spike aerator. :( I was thinking of using that after everything was rolled (like pull it behind the mower every time I mow).

The lawn is relatively new (thus the need to overseed) so there's no thatch to pull out.

What's the issue with the steep hills and a larger roller? (I too have some hills... am I not thinking of something?)

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
What's the issue with the steep hills and a larger roller? (I too have some hills... am I not thinking of something?)

Traction. If it's too heavy then you're going to spin out taking it up the big hills. It may also cut in or pull if you do it sideways. I only know this from trying to pull trailers and stuff up some of my lawn.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What's the minimum temperature required to get grass to grow?
If it's in the 50's during the day but hovers around freezing at night, is that too cold?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Brian,

Once your seed starts to germinate it can not freeze. I would wait some if you are experiencing freezing temperatures.

murph

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Murph.

I'll hold off.

I was just thinking that it's so darn wet out there that it'll have plenty of water coupled with the fact that nobody walks/drives on it since it is so muddy.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I would just over seed and not roll the lawn at all. Rolling is for when you have ruts or high spots that need to be smoothed out. If you roll, you run the risk of over compacting the soil and that is what will kill your lawn. I almost never roll unless I need to get some ruts out of the lawn. Also, before you cut the grass for the first time this spring, walk the lawn and carry a spray bottle of florescent red marking paint. Spot any rocks that you will need to dig out when the ground starts to firm up. The frost will pull the rocks up from below and they can kill the mower blades quickly if you hit them. I raise rocks the size of potatoes and there is a bumper crop ever spring... :mad:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Junk,

Ruts and high spots is exactly what I have.
My plan was to roll but then pull the spike aerator behind the mower for the first several mowings to get some air back in.