• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Adopting a dog in the UK

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Ok i thought i would post how you go about adopting a dog in the UK from an animal shelter.....curious on the in's and out's from our fellow nations.

1.when arriving at an animal shelter you fill in a questionnaire about your family wants in a new pet.....type of breed your family size where you live and how many other pets ect.

2.you look around the dogs on offer and choose whats favorable to your family and pick out one.

3.You get introduced to the dog and get first contact to see if there is a possible bond.

4.You take the dog in question for a walk on their grounds and spend some time alone to work out if this in your mind is the dog for you.

5.All members of your family has to visit the dog at the center so they can assess that everyone is compatible.

6.A minimum of 6 visits have to be made to the center spending time with the dog before they accept you as an adoptive family.

7.now a home visit has to be made to check all is in place for the dogs best interests.....secure fencing large enough home ect for the dogs needs.

8.You must sit through a intro into dog ownership and dog welfare policies.

9.sign a contract to the agreement that the dog stays with you and if you have a change then the dog returns back to them.

10.Hand over a minimum $200 donation to the shelter for their costs involved.

11.Take home dog.

Now these are the rules from where we are adopting our pooch from(the rescue centers vary in the UK)....now this can take a few weeks to get sorted is it the same for you guys???

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Most of that, yes - especially if you're going thorugh a breed specific rescue/adoption agency. The run of the mill shelters here do not require home visits or even the multiple trips in to make sure you and the pet are compatible. $200 sounds a bit high, though - except for the breed specific rescue agencies - our last puppy cost us $125, but that included all of his shots and getting him neutered before we took him home, which we felt was a great deal, since our regular vet charges $150 to spay/neuter large breeds.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And if you tell them it's going to be an "outside" dog, you're automatically disqualified.

Galvatron

And if you tell them it's going to be an "outside" dog, you're automatically disqualified.

now that was never bought up here......but so you know ours is gonna be a indoor part of the family.....i may vacate to the garden:mrgreen:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
We went to the City Dog Shelter. The adoption fee was $20 and really there were little or no questions asked. Luckily, they were having a 2-fer sale and we got 2 dogs for the $20. The third one we picked up 2 years later for nothing.

Strangely enough, I was looking at some other rescue and adoption agencies in the area on the web today and they seem to charge anything from $50 to $200+ depending on whether they are already spayed or neutered and chipped. As a general rule, I don't think the adoption procedures are nearly as stringent as they seem to be in the UK although some do require a contract and a home inspection.

cowgirl

Silver Member
Site Supporter
here in colorado anyone can adopt a animal. Here is our process:

1. show up at the shelter

2. walk down the adpotion kennels and pick a dog out

3. if you desire you can ask to see and touch the dog or spend some time with it.

4. step 3 is optional, after step 2 or 3 you proceed to the adpotion counter and pay the adpotion fee.

5. The animal is already fixed unless it is too young. if the animal is too young then you pay a higher fee. this fee is refunded once you show proof the animal has been fixed. the paperwork is one page long. You proved a I.D., answer a few questions, and pay the fee and you get the animal.

6. there is no contract. you are allowed to return the animal after 7 days if you no longer want the animal. you will get a full refund if the animal is returned before 7 days. after 7 days you will pay 50.00 to release the dog to the shelter.

7. the crazy part is if your dog gets impounded by animal control the fees can be very high. I have seen people who wait 7 days for there dog to go up for adoption and then they adpot there own dog. the adoption fee is usually way cheaper than the impound and ticket.

gee I wish we had tougher laws like the uk, I'm guessing we would have more responsible pet owner and not see the same dog impounded or returned over and over again.

Galvatron

Thanks for sharing your experiences guys....i guess it all depends on the pound you go to.

Galvatron

I thought i would give an update on pooch....German shepherd/Rottweiler.

We have had her home now for 1 week and to be honest im so shocked....her behavior is remarkable.....she is not 2 years old until November yet she knows all her commands and is very calm....no chewing and barks very little....she gets on great with the kids and does all her poops ect out on walks(yes we do pick up the mess).

I'm so surprised her last owner gave her up as she is adorable and to be honest full credit to them for giving her a great start in life.....my son and her are inseparable and when im home alone she is great company for me also.

Now i just need to get myself house trained:mrgreen::whistling:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought i would give an update on pooch....German shepherd/Rottweiler.

We have had her home now for 1 week and to be honest im so shocked....her behavior is remarkable.....she is not 2 years old until November yet she knows all her commands and is very calm....no chewing and barks very little....she gets on great with the kids and does all her poops ect out on walks(yes we do pick up the mess).

I'm so surprised her last owner gave her up as she is adorable and to be honest full credit to them for giving her a great start in life.....my son and her are inseparable and when im home alone she is great company for me also.

Now i just need to get myself house trained:mrgreen::whistling:
She's thankful that her new Daddy brought her home. :)
Did the shelter say why she was given up by the previous owner(s)?

Galvatron

Attachments

• SDC10009.jpg
    SDC10009.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 63
  • SDC10010.jpg
    SDC10010.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 63
  • SDC10011.jpg
    SDC10011.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 65