• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What's your technique for drying Sunflowers?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Had to pull some today. Not quite ready but being top-heavy, the storms laid them out, never to stand again. Backs of head were yellow instead of brown but that's as close as they're going to get.

Last year, I recall them taking a long time to dry before I got impatient and ended up putting them in the dehumidifier.

So, anyone have any good techniques for drying them in a reasonable amount of time (outside of a dehumidifier)?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I take a 3/8 drill bit and drill a hole right through the center and string them on rope. Hang them up in the basement. If you don't have too many critters around you can lay them out on a piece of tin or plywood.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you get a mildew type film drying them like that in the basement?

Seed side up or down?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Seed side vertical. Not if the humidity level is low enough. BUT this is usually done in early October. Last year the birds had already gotten on them so I just threw what was left in the chicken pen.Mom used to dry them on the tin porch roof.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Hang them in a well ventilated attic.

Use straight wire so critter cannot climb down the string.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Might have to try the basement. House has cathedral ceilings so I have no attic to speak of.

Kane

It may sound presumptuous, but can laying them in the SUN for a while help dry 'em out? I know if you laid anything on my driveway in FL it'd be bone dry by noon.

Muleman's
Mom used to dry them on the tin porch roof.

BRGTold

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Have dryed apples ..pears..tomatoes and such on screen wire in the sun..

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is an old pic of a few hanging in my basement. I have an old roll of baler twine i string them up with. We have several drying racks with rabbit wire in a wooden frame we dry things with also.

Attachments

• sunflowers.jpg
    sunflowers.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 14

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bill - Your pics show show what appears to be black shit growing. I really don't that...

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Had a reply all typed and lost power for about 10 minutes. The big ones always turn black on the back side. The seeds are still fine and the birds love them. So do the bears!:hammer: