• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Greenhouse Growing

alaska120

Mayor McCheese
SUPER Site Supporter
I built a greenhouse this year and we planted lots of stuff. It was kind of a necessity as the critters here, mostly rabbits and moose, eat EVERYTHING I plant so I figured they couldn't get into a greenhouse...
Anyhow, I heard that I might need to 'assist' my squash in the pollination process. Something about 'male' parts and 'female' parts.
1) How can you tell one from the other? (no jokes here!)
2) How do you know when to do it?
3) How do you do it?
I know, its a risky question for this group...

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I also built a greenhouse this year. Can't begin to help on sexing squash. A few bees would be a plus but I don't know where you would get them up north. Glad I don't have to worry about that yet.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
With tomatoes you can hold an electric toothbrush against the blossom for a second or two to get the job done in a greenhouse.

The ones that are wearing skirts are the female, the ones wearing pants may be either in this day and age,:biggrin: however to clarify the situation follow the link below.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/gourds/msg0611545713356.html

The male flowers have a stamen. The female flowers do not.

loboloco

Many greenhouse suppliers sell pollen for different plants. Spray and keep going. Check with a good greenhouse supply company.

alaska120

Mayor McCheese
SUPER Site Supporter
Hah! Nearest one is about 300 miles away. Thanks for the suggestion though. I didn't know you could buy pollen.
I'll try the method suggested in the web link.
Suppose I need to do this with all the plants?!?!?

loboloco

Hah! Nearest one is about 300 miles away. Thanks for the suggestion though. I didn't know you could buy pollen.
I'll try the method suggested in the web link.
Suppose I need to do this with all the plants?!?!?
Hope you really like playing sex organ for plants:yum::yum:.
It gets boring, but it will work.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I will have to show this thread to the wife. Might put her in the mood!:whistling:

loboloco

Here is a blossom set.

spacer01.gif
(0 items $0.00)

tomato+&+vegetable+blossom+set+spray+%3Cbr%3E8+oz..do
search_all.gif
search_products.gif
search_articles.gif
spacer01.gif
spacer01.gif