• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

BIGGEST SNOW MACHINE EVER BUILT!

Mtn-Track

Thanks Weatherby. It doesn't look like it worked so good without tracks though.:unsure:

If I remember right Tucker holds the patent on the 4-track, wagon-steer design that pre-dates the one in the photo's. Maybe they had to abandon them and go with the standard skid-stear design because of it. Looks COLD!

tonus

there was a machine built and used in Alaska in the 1950s or 60s. it had a plane on top and it was used to keep an eye on Russia during the cold war. it had running gear that could be retracted so it could slide on its belly over crevasses. the people just left it there and I think it is STILL there. does anyone know the name of that machine or any info on it?? at the time it had the biggest tires that Firestone had made. and it was not part of the snow train.

tonus

never mind,,,I found out my info was not correct. it is the snow cruiser I was told about,,,,I guess I got my wires crossed about the tire manufaturers. sucks to get old and forget all the particulars.:ermm:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
It was in Antarctica and got stuck very shortly after being unloaded from the ship. It was used a a camp for a bit but was then abandoned and forgotten. She would now be at the bottom of the sea since it would have migrated with the ice shelf and would have eventually brocken off and floated out to sea to only have the ice melt. She would have plunged to a dark abyss never to be seen from again. Sad ending.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Thank you gentelmen. I recieved a notice to this posting and thought I would share the little knowledge I had on this particular "Snow ???? Ship?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Mikey Poo? Like Im some old lost friend? Hold on. Theres something sticking out of my back!

I see you deleted you post Pirate Girl.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Just get on with the snowcat stuff Mike.
Sush isn't here.
You still apparently are holding a grudge over moderation and things of the past.
Just like some others are.
This is a broad forum.
Sorry I even posted.

Have a nice night. As far as holding a grudge with the Mods. Not at all. In fact ive just been pretty slammed at work. Not sure what Sushi has to do with this either? Do I detect a hint of guilt there? Oh well its good to be back.

Last edited:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Have a nice night. As far as holding a grudge with the Mods. Not at all. In fact ive just been pretty slammed at work. Not sure what Sushi has to do with this either? Do I detect a hint of guilt there? Oh well its good to be back.

Does anyone remember the name of this machine. I cant remeber it for the life of me!

sledhaus

When the Snow Cruiser was abandoned I believe it was well into the interior where it had been used for a forward base. A later expedition in the 50s I believe located it by an antenna protruding from the ice and dug down to it. One of the members of this team was also part of the original trial run of the machine. He grabbed a stack of "covers" (expedition mail envelopes) for a sovenior. He is deceased now but a few years ago his son was selling the covers on ebay. I bought one and communicated with him. He sent me scanned photos his father had taken of the original expedition but I don't believe he had any of the second one. I have the photos on a disc so I would have to find it and check. Likely it is still there but under 50 feet of ice. Or it could have headed to sea. With all this Global Warming maybe it will turn up again.:brows: