• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I have a question about antenna...

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
About 30 miles east of me is a farm with quite an antenna array. There are vertical towers arranged in pattern, and they have spikes coming out in 4 directions. I also think there are some horizontal ellements, maybe between the towers. Some time I want to just go up to the door and ask about what he has going on here.

Any idea's so if some time I did go to the his/her door I wouldn't just be another jerk with dumb questions. I am sure all they have on their acerage is a sizable investment.. Some one is serious about radio transmissions and reception I would have to say.

Maybe you can tell me something about what I am seeing....

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
When I was into CB's I had a moonraker antenae. Sounds a lot like whjat you described. Two racks of 110" verticals with a boom about 15 feet apart. All on a 40 foot tower. Damn thing appeared to be almost the size of my house.

could ground onside and use it to reflect my signal off the other. Sometimes I was able to reflect the AM signal all the way to Germany.

It actually crossed my neighbor's roof and likely messed with everyone's TV in the subdivision. Especialy when I keyed the mike thru the amplifier.

Not exactly ham and not exactly legal. I'm not sure many do it anymore but back in the 70's CB was popular and fun.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Without some pics it's hard to determine what he's doing. Lots of hams have what are referred to as "antenna farms" that rival military installations. If I had more money I would have a lot more antennas than I have now.

Here is an antenna farm on a vehicle.

new.jpg

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Without some pics it's hard to determine what he's doing. Lots of hams have what are referred to as "antenna farms" that rival military installations. If I had more money I would have a lot more antennas than I have now.

Here is an antenna farm on a vehicle.

new.jpg

Jev,

An Antenna farm for sure this thing must take up 10 acers of ground with towers 60' or more in height. Next time I am down by there I will get on the road next to it and take a closer look..

franc I still have a 100 AM amp from back in the day. I think I cooked it as I fed it 4 watts and it can only have 3 safely. I was a teen back when CB was big, with very little $$ for such stuff. I was shooting up my earnings then, buying bricks of 22 ammo for the weekends.:smile:

Regards, Kirk

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
When I was into CB's I had a moonraker antenae. Sounds a lot like whjat you described. Two racks of 110" verticals with a boom about 15 feet apart. All on a 40 foot tower. Damn thing appeared to be almost the size of my house.

could ground onside and use it to reflect my signal off the other. Sometimes I was able to reflect the AM signal all the way to Germany.

It actually crossed my neighbor's roof and likely messed with everyone's TV in the subdivision. Especialy when I keyed the mike thru the amplifier.

Not exactly ham and not exactly legal. I'm not sure many do it anymore but back in the 70's CB was popular and fun.
LOL, me too. Had a Yaesu FT 101b with a moonraker 4. Also had a starduster. My neighbors hated me. I'm supprised they didn't tear the thing off my roof and burn my house.

Key the mike and it shut down the TV's in my house. And the TV's next door turned into loud speakers for whatever I was broadcasting. I kept it tuned down to avoid complaints but when "skip" was running I would turn it up and make contacts all over the world.

Was a member of a couple of clubs, one was the High Frequency club which operated on the higher end of the 11 meter band. We had a blast until the FCC gave the higher channels to AM.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
LOL, me too. Had a Yaesu FT 101b with a moonraker 4. Also had a starduster. My neighbors hated me. I'm supprised they didn't tear the thing off my roof and burn my house.

Key the mike and it shut down the TV's in my house. And the TV's next door turned into loud speakers for whatever I was broadcasting. I kept it tuned down to avoid complaints but when "skip" was running I would turn it up and make contacts all over the world.

Was a member of a couple of clubs, one was the High Frequency club which operated on the higher end of the 11 meter band. We had a blast until the FCC gave the higher channels to AM.

Some body in my small little hamlet was doing what you two were. Not only the TV's in town, but the PA system in the high school Gym became his loud speakers!! Right during ball games in the evening! This went on for years and no one I remember seemed to know who the tansmitter was...Nor do I ever think that anyone ever discovered.

Regards, Kirk

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
I had a phase rotated 80 meter beam set up at the edge of town....made the elements out of emt. and had 45ft poles set to support them...and right in the center was an old higain hightower that I used as the main driver....by fliping some switches I had a three element full size beam.....I could be talking to the guys/galls on the south poll station.....drop the amp,flip some switches and pick up the amp and hit the north pole.......the east and west coast was no problem....the loabs were quite wide out that far so it worked right well.........worked a lot of phone patches for guys.......I tried working 40 and 20 off it but didnt have much luck......I could ground the back element and float the frount and drive the hightower on 20 and do somecoast work but not like the 80 meter set up....would like to see some pics of what you are looking at to see what it might be....dadgum it I thought I had healed up all the old Hambug bites!!!!!!! but they are starting to itch agaih!!!!!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
sounds like one rich ham on the other hand the ground could be leased out for a comercial or government operation as faa and usaf still use hf comunications for long range control.

Leni

My ham radio husband (K6TK) says that it sounds like you are seeing a ham radio contest station. The hams that I know are quite proud of their stations. Sounds like some of those antennas could be Yaggi antennas. Those would be the horizontal ones. See if you can see his cars license plates. They probably have his call letters on them. Then you can go to QRZ.com and look up his name, etc.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
WO$$N is his call letters Leni,

He has, count them 21 seperate anttenna towers with cable supports....Some are I am betting 150+ ft high or more!

I went by his place and did the count. Turns our I know some one who knows him, or knew him, as he was thinking the fellow had passed away..This fellow I know used to be his heating propane truck driver. Said he has an alarm system on the drive way too.

Many of the larger towers have what would make the letter H laying flat on the tops of them. His has a rather large metal building the radio's must be in. All cables seem to lead there. My friend says you cann't believe how much radio eqiptment he has in this building...

If there were a contest, this "staton" would be a contender IMHO, but I know nothing...

And yes they call letters were on his licence plate on his car the O in W$$N had a slash diagonally through it, as I remember it.

Will have to check it out, Thanks!

Regards, Kirk

PS I blocked out his call sig, as I don't have his permission to post it on the internet....

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the o should have been a 0 ,your call will have 1 or 2 letters ,a number, followed by up to 3 letters. mine is kl2zf the l denotes an alaska station.you need to get studding kirk than you just have to bring up an irlp node ,dial up reflector 9070 and we can talk daily.