• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dual alternator setup on a Snow Trac

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Well today when I was surfing the net I found this picture on a foreign Snow Trac site. Hey I can look around! Anyway I found this set up on what looks like a military (ex) Snow Trac. It would seem to have a stock Bosch generator plus an additional Military 24 Volt alternator. At least it looks like a 24 volter. That this is massive! This is what I plan on doing to my vehicle except with a high output 12 volt alternator.

I need to resize the photo.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
dual charging systems require dual batteries and a cross over switch. My guess is that one is for 110 volt and the other is for vehicle voltage.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Snowcat Operation: said:
This is what I plan on doing to my vehicle except with a high output 12 volt alternator.

Mike ,
Can you use one of the "high amperage output" alternators like they use on Patrol cars ?? Seems like you would only need one of those .
Someone has already replaced the generator on my KT7 with a alternator so that is at least one less worry .

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl,
The Bosch generators are pretty damn good. I am unaware of any reliability issues with them. I would use a Bosch 50 Amp generator for the ignition and anything else turned on with the key. Then use a high output Alternator for the auxilary systems like Winch, off road lights ect ect. I need to email Doc with the picture and see if he can drop it in this section. Bob will be exhausted afer his trip last night. He may still be there!

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
BigAl,
Bob will be exhausted afer his trip last night. He may still be there!

Been kinda quite here the past several days. It will probably change when he gets home. I wonder if he is caught in all this winter weather we have brewing here in the west???? Maybe stuck in Denver!!!!:whistle: :whistle:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is the pic Mike sent me:

Attachments

• SnowTracDuaAlternator.jpg
    SnowTracDuaAlternator.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 314

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl said:
Mike ,
Can you use one of the "high amperage output" alternators like they use on Patrol cars ?? Seems like you would only need one of those .
Someone has already replaced the generator on my KT7 with a alternator so that is at least one less worry .

Might take away some horespower on that VW trying to turn the larger alternator. Better be careful or the "KKK" will be able to out perform you with the added extra battery weight and horsepower drain of the larger alternator. :yum: :yum:

Wouldn't that also require another pulley setup on the engine to drive the larger alternator? :confused:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I finally woke up, lets just say the flight was not the best I've had!

I have a 95amp alternator for my Snow Trac. I think the standard VW alternator is something like a 45amp? Maybe less? Honestly I don't recall, and I'm still groggy so I'm not going to look it up. But the dune buggy guys who play with VW engines routinely upgraded the lighting systems and 75amp alternators have been very common. Over the past year or so, 95amp alternators have come out and are now easily found.

Just an alternative.

Arlow

Hey Bob! Where did you find a 95 amp alternator? I have a 55 amp Bosch alternator, but I don't think it will be big enough once I put on the rest of the lights and stereo, etc.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Arlow said:
Hey Bob! Where did you find a 95 amp alternator?

I don't recall the exact place I got it from but both 75 and 95 amp alternators are becomming common. Go to the local (large) bookseller (like Borders or Barns & Noble) and pick up a couple of VW magazines that feature "dune buggies" or high performance/modified Beetles. In those magazines are dozens of parts sources for engine parts, I bought my alternator from one of those advertisers in one of those magazines.