• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Exhaust questions

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
How how does and exhauset on a Garden tractor get?
I was thinking that painting the muffler would sure top off the look, I got some barbie paint thats good up to 600C (1100F), will that be enough?
Will the paint peel and look crap atall? Its a 12HP Kohler if that matters
Thanks, it either that or make a SS sheild which might be hard

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Paint is cheap.... paint it and if it burns off, you will have the answer, or you can purchase a inferred thermometer and check the engine while it is running.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Mith said:
How how does and exhauset on a Garden tractor get?
I was thinking that painting the muffler would sure top off the look, I got some barbie paint thats good up to 600C (1100F), will that be enough?
Will the paint peel and look crap atall? Its a 12HP Kohler if that matters
Thanks, it either that or make a SS sheild which might be hard

Exhaust paint

£5.50 Including VAT at 17.5%

I think that is about $10US? Not bad to jsut try it and see.

OkeeDon

Do you have someone who does JetHot or other ceramic exhaust coating? That's the ticket; it isn't exactly cheap, but it works absolutely great. I had a set of exhaust headers coated for a Toyota we were racing; they looked fabulous for years and worked better. I found one place in California that does mufflers up to 8" for $29 and up to 12" for $54; you can click on the menu at the top of the page and learn more about the process. That's a lot of money, but it works.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks
It doesnt really matter, I just had this paint and thought it might be a good way to use it, junk is right, nothing to lose
What do you think about cleaning it up, flap disk in grinder? or would that remove too much metal?
Cheers

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Wire wheel might get into the pits [an assumption I know] without removing as much metal as a flap wheel.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If the paint can't take the heat, it might smell really bad as it's burning off. :fart2:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Geeky, it aint that bad yet, the wire wheel doesnt seem aggressive enough, I am gunna give it a go tonight so I will post how it goes

Doc, good thought, I guess I can always sand it off

Junk, Ursla dont smell that bad! :mad:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
I got it all done now, I got the flap disk on it and that did a good job, for the sake of testing i put the wire wheel on and that did an adequate job though it seemed to expose the pits in the metal more and not smooth the actual metal off.
A quick few coats of paint and its ready to refit
I guess now all to see is if the paint remains?

Attachments

• DSCF0620.JPG
    DSCF0620.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 52

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Its good. Paint hasnt burned off, and its real tough paint too. It doesnt seem to scratch atall.
Looks great, glad I did it, and seeming as I have more paint left I might do the other mowers too.