• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bumper stickers reveal link to road rage

How many Bumper Stickers do you have?

Votes: 22 91.7%

Votes: 2 8.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-5

• More than 5 :eek:

• Total voters

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
OK everyone, fess up - how many bumper stickers do you have on your car?

http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080613/full/news.2008.889.html

Bumper stickers reveal link to road rage
Car adornments betray a territorial mindset.
Matt Kaplan
rr4.jpg
A blitz of bumper stickers could mean an assault for more than just your eyes.Visions of America, LLC / Alamy

Bumper stickers such as “Make Love, Not War” and “More Trees, Less Bush” speak volumes about a vehicle's driver — but maybe not in the way they might hope. People who customize their cars with stickers and other adornments are more prone to road rage than other people, according to researchers in Colorado.

The number of road rage incidents — bouts of aggressive driving such as speeding or tailgating, or confrontations with other motorists — has risen dramatically in recent years. In 1995 the American Automobile Association found 12,000 injuries and 200 deaths were linked to US road rage. In 2008, the numbers are estimated to exceed 25,000 injuries and 370 deaths, and many more road rage incidents, especially those that do not lead to injury, go unrecorded.

Psychologist William Szlemko and his colleagues at Colorado State University in Fort Collins wondered whether increasingly crowded roads might be contributing to rising tempers. The volume of vehicles on US roads has gone up by 35% since 1987, whereas the road network has swelled by only 1%.

In humans, as in many other species, overcrowding leads to increased territorial aggression, and the team suspected that this was what was happening on the roads.
What are you driving at?

Szlemko and his colleagues quizzed hundreds of volunteers about their cars and driving habits. Participants were asked to describe the value and condition of their cars, as well as whether they had personalized them in any way.

The researchers recorded whether people had added seat covers, bumper stickers, special paint jobs, stereos and even plastic dashboard toys. They also asked questions about how the participants responded to specific driving situations.

To keep the participants from realizing that the team was collecting information about aggressive driving, questions such as “If someone is driving slow in the fast lane, how angry does this make you?” were interspersed with decoy questions such as “What kind of music do you listen to in the car?”. Szlemko's team used a pre-existing scale called “Use of vehicle to express anger” to diagnose the presence of road rage in their participants.

People who had a larger number of personalized items on or in their car were 16% more likely to engage in road rage, the researchers report in the journal Applied Social Psychology1.
Territorial disputes

“The number of territory markers predicted road rage better than vehicle value, condition or any of the things that we normally associate with aggressive driving,” say Szlemko. What's more, only the number of bumper stickers, and not their content, predicted road rage — so "Jesus saves" may be just as worrying to fellow drivers as "Don't mess with Texas".
Szlemko admits that he is not entirely surprised by the results. “We have to remember that humans are animals too," he says. "It's unrealistic to believe that we should not be territorial.”

Precious little research has previously attempted to explore drivers' territorial feelings about their cars, says psychologist Graham Fraine at Queensland University's Transport Policy Office in Australia. “This work clearly demonstrates that people will actively defend a space or territory that they feel attached to and have personalized with markers,” Fraine says.

Szlemko suggests that this territoriality may encourage road rage because drivers are simultaneously in a private space (their car) and a public one (the road). “We think they are forgetting that the public road is not theirs, and are exhibiting territorial behaviour that normally would only be acceptable in personal space,” he says.

Although the finding will probably help psychologists to identify and potentially prevent road rage, the discovery may apply to other situations besides motoring. "I am curious to see if there is a correlation between marking other types of territories and other forms of aggressive behaviour," says psychologist William Wozniak of the University of Nebraska at Kearney.

Indeed, a brief glance around your office may reveal the most territorial individuals by the number of personalizing objects present on their desks.
  • References
    1. Szlemko W., et al. J. Appl. Soc. Psychol. 38, 1664-1688 (2008). | Article |

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I generally don't use bumper stickers. Two exceptions: About 35 years ago someone was selling "Don't Californicate Arizona" bumper stickers at the state fair. The other time was when Ted Kennedy was running for the Demoncratic nomination for president. I bought enough stick-on letters to spell "Remember Chappaquiddick."

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
None. Unless you count the NRA window sticker. Does that count?

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Generally I hate bumper stickers. I have two stickers on the windows of my my pickup. One is a Rotella sticker. That is more to remind the stations that service it that I only run Rotella in it. The other is a static sticker that says Eat Beef. There are no stickers on my car. Only personalization is related to my Alma Mater. A front License plate and a rear plate frame.

jwstewar

I typically don't run bumper stickers. Though I do have a static '8' on the back window of the truck (note to self, remove the '8' from the back of the truck since it isn't Jr. anymore). Heck I won't buy a vehicle if it has the name of the dealership on it. I make them remove it before I drive off the lot. I figure they don't pay me to advertise for them.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
:17875: None, you put a bumper sticker on my vehicle and I get the shot gun out :4_11_9: I may not know what to do with the shot gun but I assure you I will get it out. :rolf2:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Generally I hate bumper stickers. I have two stickers on the windows of my my pickup. One is a Rotella sticker. That is more to remind the stations that service it that I only run Rotella in it. The other is a static sticker that says Eat Beef. There are no stickers on my car. Only personalization is related to my Alma Mater. A front License plate and a rear plate frame.

The Eat Beef sticker counts!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Im not a fan of bumper stickers. I feel the same about tattoos. I dont see much of a difference except one is permanent. I dont see the logic. Ok... someone is going to be mad so.... Im not going to look into this thread again. :chicken:

Cityboy

Banned
I have two stickers on the windows of my my pickup. One is a Rotella sticker. That is more to remind the stations that service it that I only run Rotella in it. The other is a static sticker that says Eat Beef. There are no stickers on my car. Only personalization is related to my Alma Mater. A front License plate and a rear plate frame.

Redneck. :poke:

Two stickers & two plate frames. Yup. Texan's, Kansan's & Okies gotta have their stickers & tags.

Me, I got none. I'm transplanted from Georgia & wouldn't be caught dead with one of those silly Dawg stickers on my truck.

I did once have a magnetic softball & soccer ball with my kids names on it when they went to their local playoffs though....

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
No bumper stickers. I even refuse to take delivery of a new car until the dealer removes their advertising stickers. One dealer refused, and I told him he could pay a $100 per month advertisement fee for my mobile billboard with their name on it. They removed the sticker.

Hutchman

Site Supporter
I have a "Proud Parent of a U. S. Marine" window sticker. When he gets out, then I guess I won't have any. Wait a minute-If "Once a Marine, Always a Marine." is true then is it "Once a proud Marine parent, always a proud Marine parent?" Then I can leave it on there. I don't wear T-shirts with messages or products on them. I don't use bumper stickers either, but I was tickled to death to be able to put that Marine parent decal on. Hutch

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
OK. So we are getting into semantics now. The poll asks for BUMPER stickers. A STATIC sticker will not stick to a BUMPER. My back window is so dark you can't really see it anyway. License plate frames are not BUMPER stickers. To be honest... I read the poll itself. Answered the poll based on what the poll asked. THEN read the post and replied as such.:thumb:

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a "Proud Parent of a U. S. Marine" window sticker. When he gets out, then I guess I won't have any. Wait a minute-If "Once a Marine, Always a Marine." is true then is it "Once a proud Marine parent, always a proud Marine parent?" Then I can leave it on there. I don't wear T-shirts with messages or products on them. I don't use bumper stickers either, but I was tickled to death to be able to put that Marine parent decal on. Hutch

that is one to wear proudly

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
none on mine or the wife's sets of wheels.
the only way I'd have a truck with bumper sticker is if it came with one -- and that's why i have a bottle of "goo gone".

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
None. The only one I might put on some day is one of those oval country-of-origin stickers. Mine would say

YNP

Yosemite National Park. The center of the universe at least around here.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
None. The only one I might put on some day is one of those oval country-of-origin stickers. Mine would say

YNP
Yosemite National Park. The center of the universe at least around here.

If I'd had more time here - I'd have made it there, but the 4 hour drive each way wouldn't have left me enough time to do the park justice.

RedRocker

TDR sticker on the Dodge, small Red Rock 4WD club sticker on side window and a LEAA sticker on back window. Law Enforcement Alliance of America. I only put one down on the poll, didn't know window sticker counted.