• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Education , are we keeping up with the world ?

Eclipse21

A recent National Geographic poll showed that almost 40% of Americans can not locate the continent on which they live on a world map . About the same percentage could not locate the pacific ocean as well . When Miss teen South Carolina was asked why she thought polls show that one in five Americans can't locate the U.S on a world map she gave this encouraging response .

" I personally believe that us Americans are unable to do so because , uh ,some , uh , some , uh , people out there in our nation don't have maps and , uhmmm , I believe that our , uh , education like such as , ah South Africa and uh , the Iraq , everywhere like such as , and , I believe that they should , uh , our education over here in the U.S. , uh , or uh , should help the Iraq and the Asian countries , so we will be able to build up our future , for us . "

It would be kind of funny if it were not so scary huh ? Is it teacher salaries , teacher quality , society , media , parents , computers lol -- I'm curious to get every one's opinion on this one . Thanks , Eclipse

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
  1. Government - Doing something it was never intended to do (Education!); it's not in the constitution, is it?
  2. Teachers - The NEA's promotion, retention and protection of mediocrity; what other line of work can you get tenure?!
  3. Parents - Who just don't give a damn.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
A recent National Geographic poll showed that almost 40% of Americans can not locate the continent on which they live on a world map . About the same percentage could not locate the pacific ocean as well .

:bsflag2:

I don't believe it. Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm with Dave. I doubt the validity of that percentage.

American Woman

Site Supporter
I'm with Dave too. You can NEVER base your proof of intelligence in America on a cute blond cheerleader type...Give me a break. If she was asked to show her boobs and not her brains she would have won it .:glare:

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm with Dave too. You can NEVER base your proof of intelligence in America on a cute blond cheerleader type...Give me a break. If she was asked to show her boobs and not her brains she would have won it .:glare:

well DUH.:rolf2::rolf2:

Eclipse21

That was a good one PBinWA -- Depends on who the Documentary features I guess . You gave me an idea for a new thread though -thanks for contributing lol . And I really hate to say it but I do believe these numbers . Thanks , Eclipse