• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

England's Guy Fawkes

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Guy Fawkes is sort of a legend in York, we saw plaques on walls proclaiming the spot of where he was born as well as taverns named in his honor. He was hanged in Westminster. Near as I can tell, Guy Fawkes was planning his very own revolt against the king of England in much the same way that we had a Boston Tea Party. . . only Mr Fawkes planted some powder kegs under the government offices and intended to blow up the King and his cronies.

There is also a Guy Fawkes Day that is celebrated annually in England. Apparently it does no good! They seem to remember Guy Fawkes as a cooky folk hero, but they seemingly have forgotten the message he was trying to send. Sad really.

They have fireworks on Guy Fawkes day, much like we do on our 4th of July. We are celebrating our freedom and the overthrow of the oppressive monarchy, they are seemingly celebrating their lost freedom and the continuation of an oppressive monarchy! :hide:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
in a bit of irony - if it weren't for the fact this is a leap year, Guy Fawkes day would have fallen on the first Tuesday in November - instead, it's the day after when they'll still be counting "hanging chads"....

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Guy Fawkes is sort of a legend in York, we saw plaques on walls proclaiming the spot of where he was born as well as taverns named in his honor. He was hanged in Westminster. Near as I can tell, Guy Fawkes was planning his very own revolt against the king of England in much the same way that we had a Boston Tea Party. . . only Mr Fawkes planted some powder kegs under the government offices and intended to blow up the King and his cronies.

There is also a Guy Fawkes Day that is celebrated annually in England. Apparently it does no good! They seem to remember Guy Fawkes as a cooky folk hero, but they seemingly have forgotten the message he was trying to send. Sad really.

They have fireworks on Guy Fawkes day, much like we do on our 4th of July. We are celebrating our freedom and the overthrow of the oppressive monarchy, they are seemingly celebrating their lost freedom and the continuation of an oppressive monarchy! :hide:

I used to look forward to bonfire night (as we also called it) and making parkin and treacle toffee.
:smile:
We'd go down to a local pub and watch them set ablaze an effigy in the car park, then stand around and drink pints (yes I drank PINTS lol) the arguement was that I was 1/2 yank and "the ladies only drink half's" didn't apply to me.:tongue:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
We did have a bonfire last year as my grandchildren were with me, normally I don't. It is only an excuse to have a bit of fun and not a celebration of not getting rid a oppresive government. Pity Guy Fawkes is not around today to do a better job!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
. . . It is only an excuse to have a bit of fun and not a celebration of not getting rid a oppresive government. Pity Guy Fawkes is not around today to do a better job!

Anita, I actually heard grumblings about the government and overtaxation many times on my trip. I'm not sure if people are actually upset about it or if it is just part of the culture to complain about the government.

Many here in the US also complain about government interference but then turn around and ask for more 'free services' from that very same government. While it seemed like I was over there for a long time, the reality is that being in a foreign nation for only a month is not long enough to get any real sense of what people there actually think about things. . . at least not any sense beyond some casual conversations and whatever the BBC provides. I did tend to wake up early and read some of the newspapers, most seemed to do 2 things very well . . . they tended to complain about the government and then ask it to do more.

One big thing I noticed, from the presentation of what I got from your media sources, was a high degree of acceptance of more government intrusion.