• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

First Car

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BZ's thread on the sports sedan prompted this thread. Thought on a first car for your children? I have no girls but this wouldn't change my opinion. This was my rule with 2 boys .............

First cars/truck should be limited to no more than 2 passengers and a standard shift. No 8 cylinders and today's 6 & 4 need a real evaluation.

Reasons ...........

* Learn to drive a standard as an everydayer. The ability has been diminished with the advent of AT but you never know when you may have to drive one in an emergency. It also keeps the the focus on controlling and driving. It's a lot easier to get complacent with AT
* Nothing powerful, I don't think this needs explained
* Limiting passengers restricts the lure of joy riding and taking off the focus of driving, nor the ability to act as a Uber for friends.

That said ..... my son's both started with a 2WD regular cab, S-10, 2.8L 6 cylinder, 5 speed. To this day, no accidents ......... ages 36 & 30

I think if it had to be a car I'd go with a manual Subaru/Honda

jwstewar

Now I'm just the opposite on the transmission. They should start on an automatic. There are enough other items they need to be paying attention to vs worrying about clutching and what gear they are in. I started out in Dad's 78 Chevy 4x4 truck with AT. When I purchased my own first vehicle, I purchased a '91 S10 2.5 4 cyl w/ 5 speed. Drove that truck for about years when I traded it in for a new 93 S10 4.3 V6 W/ AT & 4x4. Didn't own a stick again for several years until Nov. 2017. I bought a Hyundai Elantra as a commuter mobile with a 6 speed manual. My son has driven it a few times. He doesn't drive it often enough to get it down pat, but he does OK considering he has driven less than 150 miles in it. Now my wife and daughter refuse to learn how to drive it.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
My Dad would not let me take the state driver's test until I passed HIS driver's test. Thing is, it did not involve driving. He wanted me to pass the following:

1. Change a tire.
2 Change the oil.
3. Check all fluids.
4. Check tire pressure.
5. Check air filter. No cabin filter in those days. :yum:

Try that today and Child Protective Services would have you arrested for abuse. Think I'm kidding?

BTW, I learned on a standard. He said any man who could not drive a standard is already most of the way there to being a full fledged pussy.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with ya Dawg and I did similar to what you did when my two girls and son were ready to drive. I bought a 4 cyl honda civic standard shift and that is what my two daughters learned to drive on. When they start out that way it becomes 2nd nature, something you never forget, much like riding a bicycle. My son learned in my S10 standard. Daughter number two inherited the Honda, had an accident in the snow and totaled it. Had another car with standard shift for a few years. Then when she was getting a new car she was very concerned. Dad she said, I'm not sure I can drive this car, it's not standard. LOL She had never driven an automatic. Too funny, at least to me. She got used to the automatic real fast.

Funny part is I did it partially for money. At the time you could find good deals on standard shift cars and I didn't want to have to pass on a deal because they could not drive a stick. Sadly now few cars are standard.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No standard tranny on our vehicles anymore.
Our kids get "hand me down" vehicles from my wife. Something relatively nice, safe, reliable and not very peppy.
Our daughter got her Honda Accord and our son will get her Toyota Avalon.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
All 3 of ours learned to drive my Dodge P/U with 4 spd. The first thing I taught was how to use the clutch without burning it up. Today i see/hear youngsters driving a small car with stick and it almost sounds like an AT with all the slipping on takeoff and changing gears and I don't think those small clutches are as forgiving as the ones that used to be in cars and PU's.
Mike