• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Paul Manafort is being prosecuted because of who he knows. I hope he walks.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Paul Manafort is being prosecuted because of who he knows. I hope he walks.
Posted by William A. Jacobson Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 9:00pm

https://legalinsurrection.com/2018/...-of-who-he-knows-i-hope-he-walks/#more-257669

The jury has the power to stop this abuse. And so does Donald Trump

The jury ended its first day of deliberations in the prosecution of Paul Manafort in the Eastern District of Virginia. When this trial is over, Manafort faces a second trial on other charges in federal court in D.C.

The jury asked the judge for help understanding “reasonable doubt.” As is usual in these situations, the judge didn’t give much help, explaining that reasonable doubt was “doubt based on reason” but did not require “guilt beyond all possible doubt.”

That the jury would ask such a question probably heartened Manafort’s team, but I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Paul Manafort is a shady character. He may even be a criminal character.

But he undoubtedly is someone who is being prosecuted because of who he knew. That would be one Donald Trump.

Had Manafort not made the decision to join the Trump campaign, tasked with managing the delegate floor fight at the Republican National Convention, Manafort would be leading his prior life of flim flam and influence peddling.

Had Manafort not been associated with the Trump campaign, he would not have been prosecuted. The feds had looked him over and then looked away years earlier.

Manafort’s team made that argument in closing argument coming close to if not exceeding the judge’s prior order barring a defense of selective prosecution:

It was “not until the special counsel showed up and started asking questions” that anyone seemed concerned about Manafort’s dealings with banks, Westling said, noting that none of the banks involved reported the alleged frauds to the authorities.

As a legal defense, selective prosecution may not hold much water. But in reality, this case is all about selective prosecution, and then some.

The prosecution of Manafort is one cog in a big wheel seeking to nullify the 2016 election.

The case against Manafort was resurrected by Special Counsel Robert Muller and his team to put pressure on Manafort, in the words of presiding Judge Ellis earlier in the case, to sing or to compose against Trump.

“You don’t really care about Mr. Manafort’s bank fraud,” Judge T.S. Ellis III said during a morning hearing. “You really care about getting information Mr. Manafort can give you that would reflect on Mr. Trump and lead to his prosecution or impeachment.”

Even though the investigation was really done by the Justice Department, handed to you, and then you’re now using it, as I indicated before, as a means of persuading Mr. Manafort to provide information.

It’s vernacular by the way. I’ve been here a long time. The vernacular is to sing. That’s what prosecutors use, but what you’ve got to be careful of is they may not just sing. They may also compose. I can see a few veteran defense counsel here, and they have spent a good deal of time in this courtroom trying to persuade a jury that there wasn’t singing, there was composing going on.

Manafort hasn’t sung. Maybe he doesn’t have anything to sing about when it comes to Trump. Or maybe he figures he’ll be pardoned.

I hope he walks. I hope he walks and then dances on the courthouse steps.

And if, as is likely, he gets convicted of something, I hope Trump pardons him.

The prosecution of Manafort is everything that is wrong with the Mueller investigation and team. They found a man, and then they set out to find the crime, in order to get to another man they found and as to whom they are seeking a crime.

That’s not how it’s supposed to happen in a civil society.

The jury has the power to stop this abuse. And so does Donald Trump.

Attachments

• 105A73CB-3C3C-4AEB-986A-CC46BFEC6B31.png
    105A73CB-3C3C-4AEB-986A-CC46BFEC6B31.png
    285.9 KB · Views: 46

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
If he doesn't walk I feel reasonably certain Trump will pardon him for no other reason than to throw it in Mueller's, DOJ's and FBI's face.
Mike

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Manafort is a US citizen who's arrest and incarceration was treated worse than a Terrorist resident of GITMO.

If found not guilty, I hope he sues over malicious prosecution.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I think Trump is upping his game with the deep state by removing brennan's security clearance. I hope he follows through with the other 9 just to show them he can.
Mike

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I think Trump is upping his game with the deep state by removing brennan's security clearance. I hope he follows through with the other 9 just to show them he can.
Mike

The Deep State is playing checkers. Trump plays chess.

I believe once the midterms are behind us, he will put the screws to those "9" if not more. Say Ms Clinton and those with whom she colluded.

Keep in mind his primary job is not, and should not be, to keep his position. But to run the nation's business. Of that, he seems to be doing quite well. Misinformation, accusations of scandals, racism, aren't working with the mainstream voters.,,,; The mid terms should prove his popularity exceeds what the left, the media and the deep state believe is their edge with the population.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Deep State is playing checkers. Trump plays chess.

I believe once the midterms are behind us, he will put the screws to those "9" if not more. Say Ms Clinton and those with whom she colluded.

Keep in mind his primary job is not, and should not be, to keep his position. But to run the nation's business. Of that, he seems to be doing quite well. Misinformation, accusations of scandals, racism, aren't working with the mainstream voters.,,,; The mid terms should prove his popularity exceeds what the left, the media and the deep state believe is their edge with the population.
I hope you are right Franc!!!! :thumb:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope you are right Franc!!!! :thumb:

And I hope the democrats come to the realization that the American people elected Trump. Just as they elected Bush 43 twice and no court in the land could be used to change it.

No court ever should be.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
AGREED

Jury Nullification should come into play.

This guy may be guilty of some tax issues, but he'd never have been caught had it not been for his association with the President. This is abuse by the prosecutor who went fishing for crimes and found some. We are supposed to live in a society of being presumed innocent.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
AGREED

Jury Nullification should come into play.

This guy may be guilty of some tax issues, but he'd never have been caught had it not been for his association with the President. This is abuse by the prosecutor who went fishing for crimes and found some. We are supposed to live in a society of being presumed innocent.

The IRS has special powers given it which precludes the presumption of innocence. Not one American is insulated by our constitution from being accused, harassed, even arrested, their assets seized without cause, simply because someone at the IRS thinks, presumes or decides, there may be a crime involved.

Been there.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The IRS has special powers given it which precludes the presumption of innocence. Not one American is insulated by our constitution from being accused, harassed, even arrested, their assets seized without cause, simply because someone at the IRS thinks, presumes or decides, there may be a crime involved.

Been there.

TRUE but he was not investigated by the IRS :hammer:

He was investigated by a special prosecutor because of his relationship to Trump.

BIG DIFFERENCE