• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker plant, Medford Or. our trip

mattfidaho

Well I was going through more of my pictures and I thought I would post from our trip last year to medford to pick up our last tucker.

On the way there after about 11 hours driving (Or has SLOWER speed limits then about anywhere) we come around a corner and see a sign wreck ahead slow down.... so I am thinking thats kind of odd.

well we pull up to this....
7-1-08089.jpg

So later that night I get online and find out it was a fire spotter plane that had an issue and he had to try and land in the road... I guess no one was hurt , that is always good.

Well the next day we got the tour:
here is some cabs waiting for the frames.

7-1-08005.jpg

I guess they put them all together in the bays.

7-1-08007.jpg

7-1-08008.jpg

they also had customers cats in for summer repairs
7-1-08001.jpg
7-1-08003.jpg
7-1-08011.jpg

7-1-08012.jpg
7-1-08014.jpg
7-1-08017.jpg

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How much that thing weight? Looks like the Chevy is squatting ... :smile:

mattfidaho

How much that thing weight? Looks like the Chevy is squatting ... :smile:

base weight is 7600. and final weight depending on what else gets loaded is around 9900 ish.

once the equalizer bars were set right it helped, but we also had air bags installed on the truck also.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Cool pics! Thanks for posting them! :thumb:

Take care of your beast in 20 years some collector is going to have fun with it! ;)

srexecmark

After looking at those pictures I had to wipe the drewl off my keyboard. How does the rear engine configuration do on steep hills in deep snow?

mattfidaho

After looking at those pictures I had to wipe the drewl off my keyboard. How does the rear engine configuration do on steep hills in deep snow?

very very well.... the idea is the weight is more balanced in the middle.

It does better in 1st and almost idling up the hill then the natural urge to floor it and try and power up... after trying both ways when the cat is spinning the tracks it is also digging down and making a "hill" for you to try and get over along with moving forward... I have been shocked how well it will really climb just going up slow on top of the snow. :)

srexecmark

I know the feeling. Mine will crawl up hills that I chicken out on. You think those all rubber tracks work on the ice ok versus the steel browsers? The mid engine makes sense. Is it a Cummins?

mattfidaho

I think the steal work better on ice and in some of the other places...
but the rubber makes it soooo much easier in rock and mud and gravel... so the little bit of traction loss on ice is ok

the biggest change for me from the 1984 we had is having the blade and being able to cut side hills.

srexecmark

The blade is really slick on that one. I am jealous. My blade is only a 4-way and will do some side hill work. but it is limited. My hills are so steep, that I think it would be scary in the ice without the steel cleats.

mattfidaho

yeah I hear ya, so far this year I had to side hill at a 30 deg on VERY hard drift, basicly ice and trying to cut the side hill while going up hill wasnt working... the back kept slipping out while trying to cut.. but she did very well. and the guy with me got out and walked LOL

so far I have been impressed with the terra tracks... but then again I havent had a chance to have some one with steal run next to me to compair in the same conditions...

mtn cat

Thanks for the great tour pictures of the promised land for Tucker fans. Had an interesting experience the other day while driving a 2000D in about 7ft of powder with a pretty heavy crust on top. Kept having one front track take a dive to the bottom while the other track rode up on top thus piling snow up to the windshield .We just kept backing up and trying a different approach angle. (we didn't have the blade on) We turned arround and had no problem in reverse,probely because the additional weight of the engine (now over the lead tracks) squashed both down to the base and didn't let one track ride up. I believe that if I had the blade on it wouldn' hav been a problem. Later the same day wile running on a groomed trail my friend managed to get over to far to the right and we ended up with the two right tracks in the powder and the two left on the packed.After about 45minutes of shoveling and packing snow under the right tracks we were able to back out. Air lockers are being installed next week!! That was just too easy to be stuck.