• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wide Track

Grooming Snow

:blahblah: :blahblah: So what do you think?? Think it will float on snow?
peat%202.gif

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
It may float but it sure will not fit through the gate or between the trees and up the drive. The conclusion I have come to is: If it will not fit anywhere why worry if it will float? :yum:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dale, just curious, but is that photo from Canada? It looks like it is set up for bog work. Lots of agricultural tractors are set up with tracks as the farmers are getting more knowelgable about soil compaction. And while that has pretty extreme tracks, I suspect that is a farm tractor not a snow tractor. I ask about Canada because of the peat bogs they have up there. Bog tractors are pretty specialized. That one has a raised air intake, that is not necessary on a snow tractor but might be necessary on a tractor working in conditions where it could sink.

Grooming Snow

:applause: Your right ((B_Skurka)) it's for a peat moss farm in Canada Mostly for running a ditcher to drain of the water. The soil / peat moss is so soft they sink right out of site. The tracks fold up making it 12 feet long and then they haul it down the road, side ways on a trailer. I think it like 16' wide 18' long

And on the air intake that a after market precleaner that spins as the air is taken in, works great for dust that come's from dirt or snow dust. I think it called a Turbo clean , alot of combines run them because of the grain dust.

And on not making it through the gates :pat: right on that part. But if it was :D use in snow, The snow would be in feet ,were you may not even be able to see the gates , kinda like the big snow cat that sit 12' wide

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Grooming Snow said:
And on not making it through the gates :pat: right on that part. But if it was :D use in snow, The snow would be in feet ,were you may not even be able to see the gates , kinda like the big snow cat that sit 12' wide

I use to operate a Pisten Bully trail groomer that was cut down to about 10 foot wide pulling a long snow mobile drag ten foot wide. One of my regular trails to groom was too steep of a grade to go up on the back side of a downhill ski area. The only way to groom it was downhill and once committed you could not back out. I will swear that trial was only 9 foot wide as I bounced off the sides of trees and ricocheted around all of the corners, just like a carnival ride. When I had any passengers riding along, this section of trail would shut them up make them grab both cheeks on the way down. It just beat the grooming equipment to hell, but that is what the state wanted groomed. Worked out quite well since all of the trees were beat to death, the forest service finally allowed the state to widen the trail. All the trees looked like a porcupine had been chewing at the bases. If the gates were too narrow on the forest service trail system we just used the front blade to widen them. Of course in the spring they put them back to the narrower width and we would have to widen them again the next winter. Stupid government!!!!!:confused:

Grooming Snow

Fafard%2013.JPG

This what they do with the beast , this is a 4-tracks unit but had to back up all the way to go deeper and make a second pass, can't cross the dicth but with the two track they can make it across