• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snowtrac transport

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Come on you clever guys who know all about snowtracs, is there any reason why I couldn't winch the beast up into the Norsebox? To my mind it would be a lot safer and more under control as it could be done slowly and not having to drive flat out to get up the steep ramp would be a lot less wear and tear on my nerves (and the whisky bottle). In neutral, with or without the engine running, are there likely to be any problems that I have not thought about? HELP! And Jim, why Sheila? Am I missing something, but it doesn't sound a very snowtrac name?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I see no reason why you can't just put it in neutral and winch it in. It should be no problem at all.

To get mine out of an ISO cargo box we put it in neutral and just pushed it out. As long as the steering is aimed straight, they roll fairly easily. Turning and pushing is a problem, but just pushing/pulling is not a big deal. A good heavy winch would work. Realize you are winching uphill to get it in there so make sure the winch is large enough to deal with the load.

I also used a forklift to drag mine on the freight dock after we pushed it out of the ISO container. Again that is not much different than than using a winch, it pulled fine. I really don't see any trouble as long as he winch is stout.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Ice,
Sheila, why not, just popped into my head :D

Or how about Ursla after Ursla the sheep, John will like you for that :yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How about SHERPA? You know the guys who haul gear up the mountiansides in the Hymalayian mountains.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Thank you for the info., Bob, will contact the man doing the thingys in the Norsebox floor for tying the snowtrac down, see what he thinks about putting a winch in. I rather fancy an electric one, could also haul up the door too, which is heavy. Sherpa is a good name, still not sure about the Sheila one, but what can you expect of a man who photographs his own toes?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ice Queen said:
still not sure about the Sheila one, but what can you expect of a man who photographs his own toes?

You can expect a suggestion like "Sheila" from him :yum:

But hey, at least we learned he doesn't have sheep feet, because that was a rumor a while back. I think JohnDay started that rumor :whistle:

The only concern that I have with a winch to pull the Snow Trac up the ramps is to make sure you get a big one. The Snow Trac is pretty light at about 2600 pounds, but pulling it up a ramp is going to require a winch that is capable of much greater capacity. I'm sure there is a mathmatical formula to help determine the capacity needed to haul an object up a given elevation at a given slope, but I sure don't know what it is!!! If it was me, I'd be looking at a winch that was rated for TRIPLE the weight of the Snow Trac, perhaps a bit more.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob, theyre hooves not feet!

Dang, knew I shoulda cropped that photo before I posted it :eek: :yum:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Am looking into the winch idea. I would ideally like an electric one, but a friend has offered me a manual one which is very heavy duty. I have asked him to take it to John who has the Norsebox at present to fix the 'thingys' he is a commercial vehicle repairer and will know if the winch is heavy enough. (I hope) . Jim, try to keep your hoof out of the picture next time and hopefully there won't be any come back!!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Any good electric 6,000 lbs winch will be more than plenty. Hell even a ATV winch would work fine. The resistance of the ramp is almost nill with a free rolling Snow Trac. I would suggest a 6,000 lbs Warn but I believe the standard winch on your island is a Super Winch. You mentioned that the Snow Trac was hoping around. Sounds like the ramp is a semi smooth surface and you are getting little traction. I would suggest some type of rubber mating be screwed to the deck / ramp (if possible) to give you the needed traction. That would prevent the hoping around. I would then attach a rope on the ramp where it meets the ground (the very corner) and run it up about 3/4 of the opening hieght. This will some what put the rope at about eye level at the critical part when yopu are driving up the ramp. You can play around with the hieght of the rope until it is right. If you have proper traction and the rope guide then I dont think you will have any problems loading and will have no need of a winch. Then you can buy all the whiskey you want!

Snow Trac Name: HMS WHITE KNUCKLES

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey, I like the name HMS White Knuckles, that might stick. Re the ramp on the norsebox, it was a horsebox and does not have a smooth ramp, otherwise the horses would slide down. It has strips of hard wood at regular intervals across the ramp, perhaps this is why snowtrac jumps?! I still think a winch would take all the worry out of loading, who needs more worry?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I would remove the stripes of wood and have the ramp lined with any of the good "Spary on Bed liners" Rhino lining seems to be more rubber in texture and would provide alot of grip. A winch believe it or not can be alot of work over the long haul. I just spent the last three hours winching my Thiokol swamp spryte onto my Thiokol trailer. What a pain in the arse! Well that includes winching off the transport trailer. Still it would get old every time! Besides good looking gals should be driving :17875: their Swedish Snow Porsche rather than winching it. Winching is for Kristi owners. :D

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anita, I agree with Mike about removing the horizontal wood cleats that are on the ramp. But as he suggests you do need something to provide a reasonable gripping surface. I don't know that I would go through the trouble of using a spray on bed liner of 2 part epoxy (but I really do like using that stuff). You could probably screw down some rubber mats and it would be easier and just as effective.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Anita,
How is the HMS White Knuckles transport vehicle fairing? Any new mods yet? Can we get some pictures of the inside? Thanks.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Rubber diamond plate matting is available. I just use old track belting. Works great.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I collected the Norsebox yesterday from the chap who put the 'thingys' in the floor to tie down the snowtrac or the jeep. I have ordered the winch and that should arrive in about five or six days time. Today I must measure the walls in the living area and go to see about ordering some carpet to put on them - to cover up the plywood and also to add to the insullation. I now know that the Norsebox is 13' 6" high, so I have to plan routes so that I don't find any suprise low bridges, it is 30' long and is a bit of a sod to get round tight corners without taking pavements with me! I will get some photos of the inside as soon as I can and post them for you. As soon as the carpeted walls are done I am going to have to work hard to get the living area fitted out in time as the first rally with it is at the end of this month! Any offers of help?!

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Will try to take pictures, not going to do much today outside, by the look of the weather - very low flying cloud, damp and horrible!