Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum

Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum Snowcat Repairs, Parts Inquiries, Sources, Problems & Advice

Old 04-18-2017, 11:28 PM

Alaska Jay is on a distinguished road
Default Snow-Trac Transmssion Support Rods

Does anyone have an opinion on a procedure for tightening (or HOW MUCH to tighten) the all-thread supports for the Snow-Trac transmission?

I believe that their only purpose is to counteract the strain exerted onto the axle housings from the drive chains. I intend to make the nuts just snug plus a quarter to half a turn. It seems like much more would be excessive but I don't know if there's a torque spec, or someone has solid info on the subject.

A the moment, the drive chains are not installed. Just the transmission is in place and I'm working towards installing the engine, etc. The front drive sprockets can't be installed until after the engine is. Maybe the rod tension should be adjusted after the chains are in, but I tend to think not. In my head, the rods should be snugged prior to the chains, and then the chain tension adjusted accordingly.

I'm open to hear ideas.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:27 AM
Bronze Member

nwerring is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Snow-Trac Transmssion Support Rods

In a Swedish manual I have, it say as you rightly thought, that these bolts shouød just be tight enough to take up any movment from the drive chains. A bit more than finger tight and then lock them with a lock nut.
The Following User Says Thank You to nwerring For This Useful Post:
Alaska Jay (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:47 AM
Bronze Member

JimVT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Snow-Trac Transmssion Support Rods

one was loose when I got it and I snugged them.
#185 snow trac
2004 pistenbully canyon