Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum

Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum Snowcat Repairs, Parts Inquiries, Sources, Problems & Advice

Old 08-10-2017, 10:01 AM
Bronze Member

IMP is on a distinguished road
Default J5 transmission troubles

I was looking over my J5 last night getting it ready for moose hunting and gave the drive axle a shake to test the U joints and notice way too much side to side movement in the output shaft of the transmission. Anyone know what kind of 4 speed transmission this is for sure and part availability? Its bolted up to a 251 flathead Chrysler. I read somewhere J5's typically come with New Process 435 transmissions but I wanted to confirm that with anyone who's been there and done that if possible. Thanks. This is an ASAP job no time for error
Old 08-10-2017, 01:09 PM

Denver is on a distinguished road
Default Re: J5 transmission troubles

Imp, i have a 1974 J5 with a 300 ford engine and the transmission is a NP435. the following link may be usefull to you; http://www.fordification.com/tech/transID-man.htm.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:11 PM
Bronze Member

Thank You for that info Denver! This morning I talked to Brad at Minnesota Outdoors and he confirmed that it is a NP435 4 speed transmission I'm looking for. Parts are easily available and it's a common rebuild. All good news to me. I wwill try to pull it tonight and get it to a local shop for rebuild ASAP. Thanks to Brad for the quick call back and Denver for the new 435 rebuild manual.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:48 PM
member formerly known as dds

Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road

the 435 is a common chevy and dodge transmission you should be able to find one in a wrecking yard
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
Old 08-11-2017, 03:07 AM
Bronze Member

Transmission removal went smooth. It will be on the repair shop floor tommorow and hopefully hauling a load of moose off the mountain in a month.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2017, 11:18 PM
Bronze Member

i just found out this transmission deal is way worse than paying someone to replace bearings. I need to find an input shaft that is unique to J5's. This existing one was cobbled together at some point years ago when rebuilt and now iit has a damaged input shaft. My transmission guy said we wouldn't have gotten far moose hunting with this J5 as is. So I guess this is a good thing it is, where it is, instead of 10 miles out off in a swamp! So What I desperately need right now is a J5 4 speed, NP435 transmission input shaft and pilot bearing. My transmission guy said it will pull right out the front, no need to disassemble the transmission to get at it. But if anybody happens have one they can sell I sure could use it now with no time to waste. 907- 347-4927. Todd
I've already left a message for Brad at Minnesota Outdoors so I hope to be talking to him soon
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2017, 02:16 AM
Bronze Member

I was wrong about this transmission having Bombardier specific parts. The confusion for me was I thought I had a NP435 transmission when I really had a NP420. That's why some components inside the tranny looked wrong. I knew
the input shaft was going to be tough to find on short notice so I a had a machinist make a bronze Bushing so I could use the old input shaft to temporarily get me through this moose hunting trip. Turns out, at the last minute I did locate a new old stock input shaft for my NP420 in Ohio at Northwest Transmission. Great people to work with, You can tell how old this part is by looking at the MOPAR box. The tranny is all rebuilt with new bearings and seals, J5 is locked n loaded ready for another 2 week moose camp adventure leaving Friday. Hopefully the major mechanical problems are over for awhile.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2017, 06:43 PM

night-owl is on a distinguished road

Nice set-up 👍 Good Luck !