Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Adventure & Usage Forum

Snowcat Adventure & Usage Forum Snow Trac, Kristi, Thickol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier stories & discussions

Old 04-05-2017, 12:50 AM
Bronze Member

PJL is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Welcome Snow Trac Owners

Which army had 599? Ours? (US).
Old 04-13-2017, 12:49 AM

OldShopTeacher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
Which army had 599? Ours? (US).
Yes, United States army. They didn't change the color from the Snow Trac red and kept the Snow Trac graphics, they just added the Army lettering and some minor changes such as the tail lights from what I can see.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:21 AM
Bronze Member

JimVT is on a distinguished road

one easy way to id a military snow trac is by the lifting hook that is next to the window at the rear of the hood.
#185 snow trac
2004 pistenbully canyon
Old 04-14-2017, 12:24 AM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,018 Times in 567 Posts
300 H and H will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVT View Post
one easy way to id a military snow trac is by the lifting hook that is next to the window at the rear of the hood.
True of the European Military models. But my feeling is that the Snow Trac was never intended in our military as a standard issue motor pool machine. More of a stop gap type of machine for emergency use only. That was what those Snow Trac's were designated for at D.E.W radar sites for instance, emergency use only... No parts or service in the field. Nor do I believe any military historian would list a Snow Trac as a military tracked machine. So few of them in our services..

The lift hooks appeared after the acquisition of the rights and manufacturing were sold to Ackiv, and were only on the three band big wheel versions from what I have been able to find out. Those machines also feature a square plate on the nose with a short length of pipe welded on to it. This was the receiver for a ridged hitch that pinned into the pipe for towing a dead machine.. This version I don't think were purchased by our military. All I have come to know about in our military are two band earlier machines.. Execpt for one in Alaska, Don found in a town North of Nome. A Navy machine, three band tracks and the tall cab to boot... It has no lift hooks either, as I recall from Don's pictures..

In Michigan there were trials on a military base of all terrain type vehicals in the early 60's.. I don't know of the base name, but remember reading about this trial here on this forum some were... Could it be these machines could have been part of that trial? IF only they could talk...

Regards, Kirk
Snow trac ST4 #267
Old 04-14-2017, 12:52 AM
Bronze Member

Cidertom is on a distinguished road

One must also remember that the US military could, and does buy equipment COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf). The off the shelf stuff wasn't intended for warfare use. Base support operations, and special projects were the usual culprits of COTS. They would get a military number and sometimes paint. As an example Keesler AFB had both military ambulances and COTS (southern ) The military was green ,hardened. The Southern was a POS done on least bid.

So you could get both the nato/military version and the COTS version with military ID.

And then there was the nearly military crap. The CUCV stuff comes to mind. Just enough military that it wasn't normal, but not enough that it stood up well.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:22 PM

danoneal is on a distinguished road

Is there anyone out there who knows where I might find both large ST34 chain drive sprockets as both mine have broken teeth? I have found a local machine shop who can make them for me but $$$. I'm not sure if I am posting to the right place or how to but let's give it a shot. Any help would be great. Dan
1965 Snow Trac #708
Old 06-23-2017, 09:30 PM
Bronze Member

Cidertom is on a distinguished road

Probably get better results in the repairs, parts and problems forum http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/forumdisplay.php?f=66

Good luck. At least one member used the hubs on the small drive gear and welded new gears on.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:55 PM

danoneal is on a distinguished road

Thanks I'll try there
1965 Snow Trac #708