• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

IMP track tension

hansoni

I did several tests where I pulled my machine with the winch off my 4 wheeler about 60 feet at a time loosening the tracks and tightening...to the point where they would bind and not spin, and then backed them off where it seemed I could pull along without too much effort and what you see is where I ended up. The grouser is just touching the 2nd grouser from the sprocket and not touching the first at all. Does this appear to be close? This is after replacing all the leaf springs, wheels/tires/bearings, 20 new grousers and 70 new wear loops.

Thanks!

Attachments

• track drivers side.jpg
    track drivers side.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 342
  • tracks.jpg
    tracks.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 337

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
:wow:That is one set of aggressive tracks you have. With the tall cleats it is hard to determine proper track tension.

My concerns are how hard will it be to turn on a hard snow surface and still keep the tracks on the cat? A little slippage is good and you may not have any. To me it looks like you could easily stress the drive components with the tall track grousers. The Imp was not designed to have that tall of a track cleat so you will need to experiment to get what you are looking for on track tension. :myopinion:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the bands may not hold for steering at all also a grouser that deep is going to suck up a whole lot of power in softer snow. I hope it works out well for you

hansoni

This is the way the machine came to me I have not changed anything just replacing broken wear hoops. We did test it and it has been run this way for years. Is it too much weight?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
its just speculation on my part it looks like you just had square d- dent grousers using heavy plate every grouser looks heavy and my experience is that its going to suck up limited hp that way I have to believe even though it wont be fast that thing will preform well in deep powder.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is the way the machine came to me I have not changed anything just replacing broken wear hoops. We did test it and it has been run this way for years. Is it too much weight?

hansoni,

Any tracked machine skids or slides both sides as it turns. With those deep grousers it may not turn well, and will definitely "till" up the snow you do turn on..

Wear on the brake bands will be higher the higher the grousers on the track are. I am certainly no expert on Imps, but I have seen quite a few and yours has the most aggressive or tall grousers I have ever seen..

It may work well, or not depending on how you use it and the snow conditions. If not you could re grouser the belts with a d dent type grouser.

At this point it just bench racing. You will know lots more when you use it for the first time...

Regards, Kirk