• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wife Bought a boat.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife and I have had a boat since before we were married.

I had a runabout from the fifties back in 1968. We rated up for a 15 foot ski boat in 1970 which we still have in "project mode" as it needs a new transom.
Our 27 foot sailboat came into our lives back in 1984 and we sold it last year after it sat 10 years on the marina parking lot.
With the Ozark ranch, kids in Connecticut and a business to run, I had pretty much given up on boating to the point I didn't really missit.

This morning I got a call from CT where she is visiting the grandkids Somehow, over the evening coffee and again this morning, she bought a boat.

not just a little ski boat,,,,A BOAT!.

26 foot Maxum flybridge. Yowza!
$_57.JPG

javascript:; javascript:;

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats, Franc!! We have two, A 12' Livingston w/ 61 yr old 15HP 'Rude that still runs like a clock trolling all day and the Livingston is the most stable 12' boat I've ever sat in, and a 24' pontoon we call the floating back yard. And we enjoy them both a lot.
Mike

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats, Franc!! We have two, A 12' Livingston w/ 61 yr old 15HP 'Rude that still runs like a clock trolling all day and the Livingston is the most stable 12' boat I've ever sat in, and a 24' pontoon we call the floating back yard. And we enjoy them both a lot.
Mike

Pontoons are fun boats. Especially if you have kids. Never had one but I do love them.

Always been a river rat of one sort or another. Small craft 14 ft with an ancient Evinrude,,, 15 ft. Ski and fish with a Chrysler. The Big 27 sloop was also enjoyable and I liked the concept of sailing under wind power more than pushing a throttle to go fast.

We always had the 15' ski boat with a 55 Chrysler for fun and beer runs. 45years old it needs a new transom.

I always thought as I got older, I would just get a little dinghy. This craft is a bit larger than I imagined. However, at 68 years old I did get a little dog eared and dinghy.:whistling:

So it is win win.:smile:

And now I don't have to work the rigging so hard to get the boat to move thru the water.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats Franc. Looks nice. Maxum's have a good rep. Guessing it's a Mercruiser outdirve, but what engine is in it? How much HP?
We just got home from FL now the wife wants to go boating tomorrow. LOL It's as hot here as it was in FL and the water is clear ...so once I get the lawn mowed we might be on the water. :D

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, owning that many you're well familiar w/ the definition of a boat: "A hole in the water you just keep throwing money into", LOL!!
Mike

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, owning that many you're well familiar w/ the definition of a boat: "A hole in the water you just keep throwing money into", LOL!!
Mike
While many do have that exact experience Mike, many also have the best quality family time ever. Don't spread that around though the waters might get to crowded :yum:

I just noticed your new boat is from Ohio. Where bouts in Ohio? What year is the boat? It looks new.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats Franc. Looks nice. Maxum's have a good rep. Guessing it's a Mercruiser outdirve, but what engine is in it? How much HP?
We just got home from FL now the wife wants to go boating tomorrow. LOL It's as hot here as it was in FL and the water is clear ...so once I get the lawn mowed we might be on the water. :D

Thanks DOC.

The Motor is a merc 350 v/8 with an alpha drive.

I think that is a 225 HP but actually, I didn't make the choice, Wife handled this whole deal.

Yep, I'm keeping her. And the Wife is a keeper also.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
While many do have that exact experience Mike, many also have the best quality family time ever. Don't spread that around though the waters might get to crowded :yum:

I just noticed your new boat is from Ohio. Where bouts in Ohio? What year is the boat? It looks new.

It is actually a 1990. But Maxums are ahead of their time.

My son had a 1990 Maxim 23 ft Bow rider with the Mercruiser 3.8 V/6. An excellent water craft. Hence his preference to the brand.

The reason it looks so good is the previous owner spent $16 K refurbishing, refitting and re powering (brand new 350) the boat to factory new condition. Then his kids moved away and they decided they wouldn't use it.
I have not seen the boat but the wife says it looks brand new. Even the trailer looks brand new.

As for the hole in the water, I've owned one of those most of my life. It takes a real toll on the lawn and keeping the house up.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
That's a nice boat, Francis!

I tried clicking on the smaller pics you attached, but can't view them.

Have fun with it, it's a beauty! :smile:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

Sorry DOC I missed some questions in your second post.

The boat is in Dayton Ohio.
It's a 1990 model
Owner restored it to factory from stem to stern last year.
Trailer was sandblasted and repainted with new rubber added as well.
All fixtures and upholstery are new.
The whole rig looks as crisp as a newly minted dollar.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Doc, I should have said I meant it w/ tongue in cheek. Even my old 'Rude hasn't required a lot of $ to keep it going.
Mike

Kane

As far as I'm concerned, a boat is a must in life. A boat literally doubles your choices of places to go, things to see, on any given Sunday. Wind and waves be damned.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I just found out this morning we will be harboring the boat on the Connecticut River near Hartford. Our summer vacation this year will be a river tour as far upstream as we can manage.

Grandma will spend a good bit of time flying there to take care of the boat and treat the grandkids to life on the water.
The boat name will change slightly from Gretchen's Getaway to Grandma's Getaway.

Hey, I'm just the deck hand,,, okay:whistling:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Cool boat Franc, and just in time for Summer too. Better go check the garage, she may have traded the crossfire. :eek:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Cool boat Franc, and just in time for Summer too. Better go check the garage, she may have traded the crossfire. :eek:
Thanks. She didn't sell the Crossie as I drove it to work this morning. Mine was also still there in the driveway.

So far, so good.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Update on the BOAT.

Looks like it will harbor in Hartford CT about an hours run up the river from the Long Island Sound. I only have to tow it once from Dayton OH.

Grandma Cathy can fly to Hartford and take a taxi to the boat. The kids are like 30-40 minutes away.
Seaboard Marina has made a hole in the water in which, for us, to pour money. Shouldn't reduce my Crossfire fun time too much as I will stay home to run the business.

This is for her and the grandkids anyways. I still prefer sail.

But, it is one more step to retirement in Connecticut. Or some New England state surrounded by liberals. I honestly had other plans. Like the OZARKS. But hopefully, love does conquer all. And my soul will survive the tests of purgatory.

Kane

But, it is one more step to retirement in Connecticut. Or some New England state surrounded by liberals. I honestly had other plans. Like the OZARKS. But hopefully, love does conquer all. And my soul will survive the tests of purgatory.
Sounds like I missed the change of plans to retire in the NE (with all them liberals). What an ironic twist of fate. My heart goes out.

So. What happens to all of your hard work developing Hillbilly Heaven in the Ozarks? Sounded like utter bliss. What becomes of God's Gift -- the land -- now?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Franc,

Any chance you water ski? If so, maybe some pics sometime of that!:clap:

I haven't water skied in years. Used to be pretty good on one myself..

Enjoy the boat and your kids and grandchildren. I hope you have many days of fun and memories. You have earned them..:smile:

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like I missed the change of plans to retire in the NE (with all them liberals). What an ironic twist of fate. My heart goes out.

So. What happens to all of your hard work developing Hillbilly Heaven in the Ozarks? Sounded like utter bliss. What becomes of God's Gift -- the land -- now?

Divorce, maybe

OZARKS: Move there and everyone is friendly. Pick up a fishing pole and within three months you are a native.
NE: Move there and everyone considers you a foreigner. You are considered a redneck interloper. You will never be from there. Nor will your children, or their children.

God's Gift? Well he has worker bees and other creatures who presently are re-taking the land, 24/7. I will brush hog the area around the "plantation" main house so we can find it. Hopefully a tornado doesn't push it off it's cinder blocks.

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have up and down the Ct river many times. It is quite a ride from Hartford to Long Island sound (buy a chart!) It's very scenic ride. Follow the bouys. Red Right Returning. Be careful there are some very shallow spots. Weekdays are best, there are a few crazys out there on weekends! You can dock at the Goodspeed Opera House near the Goodspeed Bridge or have a nice lunch at the Black Seal in Essex and continue on.The sound can get fairly rough but you will find out when you get to the mouth of the river in Old Saybrook even a 26' boat. The Dock and Dine restaurant is near the lighthouse in Old Saybrook. The police may be out there if you go to fast through "no wake zones" and don't have all your safety equipment on board! Happy boating!!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I have up and down the Ct river many times. It is quite a ride from Hartford to Long Island sound (buy a chart!) It's very scenic ride. Follow the bouys. Red Right Returning. Be careful there are some very shallow spots. Weekdays are best, there are a few crazys out there on weekends! You can dock at the Goodspeed Opera House near the Goodspeed Bridge or have a nice lunch at the Black Seal in Essex and continue on.The sound can get fairly rough but you will find out when you get to the mouth of the river in Old Saybrook even a 26' boat. The Dock and Dine restaurant is near the lighthouse in Old Saybrook. The police may be out there if you go to fast through "no wake zones" and don't have all your safety equipment on board! Happy boating!!

Thanks for the input on the CT river. I already have charts and have been studying them. As for river navigation, I live on the Mississippi and have traversed it since I was a teen. I am used to such challenges. Seldom had to put tide flows into my calculations before. That will be new. But the "shallow " areas ought to float the Maxim safely when high.

Going upstream from Glastonbury may be a different challenge. I think we are good until Windsor locks. The rapids there look impassible for my craft.

The restaurant references will be helpful on our first voyage which will likely be to Saybrook and then over to New London. My son is an ex Submariner so this will be special to him. He has lived in Norwich since 2004 and the Thames is familiar to him. So is the Sound as his father-in-law took him fishing for many of those years.

This boat is actually for his use and that of his children. He will be the "skipper." I do hope he makes the most of it.
Me, I prefer sail.

Last edited:

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't know of anyone who has gone north of Hartford. There maybe a sand bar up there. I destroyed a lower unit somewhere around Deep River. The rocks were just under the surface of the water. I shouldn't have been where I was anyway. I mis-read the bouys in that area.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Franc,

Any chance you water ski? If so, maybe some pics sometime of that!:clap:

I haven't water skied in years. Used to be pretty good on one myself..

Enjoy the boat and your kids and grandchildren. I hope you have many days of fun and memories. You have earned them..:smile:

Regards, Kirk

When I had a boat years ago, when I was much younger I tried my hand at water skiing. I figured I was good on the snow, how hard could it be on water? But, for some reason the skis wouldn't cooperate and I kept losing the ski poles. :yum:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
When I had a boat years ago, when I was much younger I tried my hand at water skiing. I figured I was good on the snow, how hard could it be on water? But, for some reason the skis wouldn't cooperate and I kept losing the ski poles. :yum:

Dummy,,,, Next time, wait until the water freezes.
:whistling:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you have your route selected yet?

There's a few of us along the different potential routes if you have time for a cup of coffee along the way.
I missed this somehow.

Route will be from Dayton Ohio I-70 to Harrisburg PA. Then I- 81to Scranton then I 84 to CT via New York state.
And alternate might be north at Cincinnati I-79, and then I-80 to I-81 near Scranton.
Or I-71 out of Columbus to Akron via I-76, then I-80.

All three routes are easy but the Penn Turnpike is expensive with a trailer.

Dates and times are still up for grabs but likely the week prior to July Fourth.
I'd love a meet and greet.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And alternate might be north at Cincinnati I-79, and then I-80 to I-81 near Scranton.

All three routes are easy but the Penn Turnpike is expensive with a trailer.

If you take the northern route I-79/80, you're relatively close to me. I-70 is too far away for me to drive.

I haven't traveled the PA Turnpike (I-76) in a few years but compared to other interstates, that road sucks. It was started/built even before the interstate program was instituted in the 50's. There's quite a bit of road with minimal shoulders and no median except for a Jersey Barrier between you and oncoming traffic.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Your wife has damn good taste on toy's Franc,i feel a little envious so give it full throttle from me some time to make me feel a little better please..:thumb:

Lucky SOB:wink:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
If you take the northern route I-79/80, you're relatively close to me. I-70 is too far away for me to drive.

I haven't traveled the PA Turnpike (I-76) in a few years but compared to other interstates, that road sucks. It was started/built even before the interstate program was instituted in the 50's. There's quite a bit of road with minimal shoulders and no median except for a Jersey Barrier between you and oncoming traffic.
I have traveled the PA turnpike for years. The last four has seen dramatic improvements. Not only with the highway, but the rest stops as well.

Having said that, I-80 is very good road but, The route thru Scranton Wilkes-Barre is a b!tch.

A meet and greet would be awesome. I'll keep you posted on our plans.