• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Public School BANS home-made lunches from home

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I guess the Chicago public schools know better than parents on what to feed their children? "Mom" no longer knows what is good for her child.

School's food is the only option for some kids - chicagotribune.com
At his public school, Little Village Academy on Chicago's West Side, students are not allowed to pack lunches from home.
. . .
Any school that bans homemade lunches also puts more money in the pockets of the district's food provider, Chartwells-Thompson. The federal government pays the district for each free or reduced-price lunch taken, and the caterer receives a set fee from the district per lunch.

At Little Village, most students must take the meals served in the cafeteria or go hungry or both. During a recent visit to the school, dozens of students took the lunch but threw most of it in the garbage uneaten. Though CPS has improved the nutritional quality of its meals this year, it also has seen a drop-off in meal participation among students, many of whom say the food tastes bad.
. . .
For many CPS parents, the idea of forbidding home-packed lunches would be unthinkable. If their children do not qualify for free or reduced-price meals, such a policy would require them to pay $2.25 a day for food they don't necessarily like.

"We don't spend anywhere close to that on my son's daily intake of a sandwich (lovingly cut into the shape of a Star Wars ship), Goldfish crackers and milk," education policy professor Diane Whitmore Schanzenbach wrote in an email.

Here is an example of our government's thinking as to one size fits all and they know better than the parents. I thought this was interesting. Way overstepping, and obviously some parents really are idiots who don't care for their kids properly but to ban ALL home-made lunches?

Why not set guidelines like "no energy drinks" instead of simply banning everything?

And I'm curious about the money. The school contracts out lunches to a 3rd party vendor. Since this is in Chicago is it unreasonable to ask about kickbacks :ermm:

Strikes me that this is simply WRONG.

It's a shame some parents don't have more common sense when it comes to nutrition for their child. However, the school district has no say it what a child can or cannot eat. I agree that maybe they can make suggestions and even ban energy drinks (who would give that to their kid?!!). My son does not like the school cafeteria food. He's a ham and cheese or PB&J guy and I'll give him some pretzels or goldfish or grapes and a juice. If the school is insisting that they eat the food they provide, then it should be quality food and also free.

loboloco

If the school bans home lunches, then the school should pay for all lunches by reducing the salaries of the administrators until the bill is covered.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If the school bans home lunches, then the school should pay for all lunches by reducing the salaries of the administrators until the bill is covered.

I'm still betting that some administrator may be getting a kickback from the company that is contracted to make those lunches!

SShepherd

http://chicagolampoon.blogspot.com/

Elsa Carmona, the $128,000 a year Principal of the Little Village Academy on Chicago's Southwest side pusillanimously hung up on WLS radio talker Cisco Cotto this morning when asked to explain her new dictate against parents packing lunches for their own kids.

administratively top-heavy Little Village Academy needs as much cash as it can get its grubby paws on to pay the fat salaries that lavishes upon its army of administrators.

In addition to the $128k in tax dollars that Carmona pulls down it shells out another $600k+ for fatcat administrators.

Here are the Little Village Academy's grammar school administrators salaries as gleaned from the Better Government Association salaries database:

Elsa Carmona - Principal - $127,946
Evangelina Covarrubias - Asst. Principal - $98,188
Ingrid Murillo-Torres - Counselor - $58,269
Melinda Dahl - Literacy Coach - $95,407
Christine Hernandez - Bi-lingual co-ordinator - $71,512
Manuel Juarez - Tech co-ordinator - $71,713
Ned Perisic - Business Mgr. - $69,158
Lilia Gutierrez - Children's Welfare attendant - $31,430
Susan Salinas - Social Worker - $76,389

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
When i went to school i had to make my own lunch for school (sandwiches)or i went hungry.i was taught young and having to do things on my own,guess things are different now and some one else can raise your kids and learn how to depend on others:sad:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
My Daughters school as banned things like soft drinks and chocolate bars from home made lunches and has a list of things that they encourage the parents to add to them lunches that help form part of a healthy diet.

We would never allow the kids to eat the school meals as they are known to be cheaply made and high in sugar/salt levels......and what they call meat content is very doubtable indeed.

The parent should know whats best but sadly in many cases this is not the case.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
my son's school doesn't provide the lunches, but they do regulate it fairly heavily on what goes into those lunches. They used to have microwaves available to heat up lunches. They got rid of those so it's strictly sandwiches. No PB, eggs or anything else that kids might be allergic to. Their snacks have to be healthy and nutritious. No candies. cookies, or basically anything with sugar in it. Things like cellery sticks, apples, oranges are ok.

I had one of my son's teachers actually write a note home telling me that she threw out half his lunch because she was upset with him over something simple and would rather take it out on his lunch then on him. I went into the school and tore her a new arsehole. She soon got demoted from being a kindergarten teacher to being a music teacher going around from class to class and lunchroom monitor. I was not impressed.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How about the government bans the purchase of junk foods being bought on any government subsidized plan first? So, we can't give our kids a cooking in their lunch, but we pay through taxes for food stamps and other subsidies and they can go buy whatever crap they want (but we can't give to our kids).

SShepherd

How about the government bans the purchase of junk foods being bought on any government subsidized plan first? So, we can't give our kids a cooking in their lunch, but we pay through taxes for food stamps and other subsidies and they can go buy whatever crap they want (but we can't give to our kids).

:clap::clap: