• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker track rollers

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I know this has been talked about before but it seems I never have heard of anybody making a reasonably priced roller? If anybody is please let me know.
Otherwise we about to consider making sealed bearing units and heat treating the covers. If it comes to that what's the group willing to bear for a fair cost?
The bearings are very reasonable it's the machining and special center bolt along with heat treating that will drive the cost we have CNC turning with a bar feeder so making thousands at a time is not a problem. Could be offered assembled or just parts? Outer shell heat treated with snap ring grove to retain bearing
The wider versions could have two bearings. Thoughts ?

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I thought about it a bit, I think stamping the outside,with the flange in a heavy industrial press, make the bearing and stud a press fit. Ideas dont cost much money ,following thru does !!!!!:biggrin::biggrin: I can dream up all kinds of stuff,but paying for it comes a bit dry !!!!! My grandfather used to say "TALKS CHEAP ,RUM COSTS MONEY" !!!:biggrin::biggrin:he must have been talking about me. I sure hope someone comes up with a solution.MNoutdoors you sound like your on the right track,but when it comes to people shelling out cash, no clue !!!

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well where to point we could use about 1000 ourselves and I'm sure others must have a need also that's why I put this out there. The last good factory new ones were running about 40-45ea. And I have a hard time wanting to spend 45,000
On rollers and to be honest they are not the best design from a water infiltration stand point and I have donated a lot of grease to the environment I'm sure,and that's the only way the factory rollers will hold up. IMO

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
The spare track parts availability appears to be drying up and Id be interested in rollers, track bars,pins and backing plates. I have some but my goal is at least one complete set of tracks for spares and build my inventory from there.

Greg364

SUPER Site Supporter
I would be in for a 100 or so, if you look online at rollers that are similar for conveyors and other equipment, the cost is over $40.00 from what I've found. I have one of mine apart and know a local CNC guy that I am going to show it to. I was thinking CNC outer with a snap ring groove, maybe a bit of a press fit (heat roller before pressing?) Possibly getting them hardened. Not sure of the best process. Dammit I'm a painter, not an engineer Jim. Sorry, bad Star Trek reference, I will let you know what I find.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 'paper weight' on my desk from Frost (#5334900) that they sent me to sample, but it is slightly oversize, not greasable and the stud to roller is incredibly sloppy. It would never last on a cat and I can't even imagine them lasting long on a conveyor. :unsure: I think the cost at that time was $8.25ea.
http://www.frostinc.com/Push-Back-Rack-Wheels.php

Grey Hub (http://www.greyhub.com/) has similar flat tread wheel (although the Tucker roller is very slightly tapered), but the tread surface is 3/16" narrower and the diameter is 2.5 inches instead of 2 inches. The extra .25" offset from center wouldn't matter too much in the grand scheme of things (it would actually tighten up some peoples tracks). The problem is where it rolls over the top of the pontoon and the track engages the drive cogs. There would be excessive wear at the top of the teeth. The only solution would be to somehow lower the upper track guides by a quarter inch so the sprocket makes full engagement. Five(?) years ago these were priced at $35.75 ea. or $32.25 for 300 or more.

While backtracking info on these two this morning I came across Brauer Wheels (http://www.brauerclampsusa.com/php/wheelgroup.php?group=SSFF) which I didn't see five years ago. There wheel #SSFF55/25 looks to be VERY close to what is needed. Several choices of bearings & sealed/greasable options, but haven't researched prices at all.

Who knows where the 'break point' price is. Like Loggah said, talk is cheap. But over the years they have all tended to be around $40-45. But only the maker knew how much was jammed in there to make a little profit. In my opinion (which is almost useless!:biggrin:), if a big enough batch could be made so they could be put out for $20-25 each, I believe a lot of people would end up stepping to the plate for them (way more than are on this forum). It's that initial jump to make 10 thousand to get the price down and hoping they move, which I believe they would.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We are looking at several options, steel covers and sealed bearings, sealed bearings and uhmw poly covers with steel flange (this one really looks interesting and the most cost effective ) we are waiting on the original roller drawings to make the prototype the same dimensions as new or very close. :wink:so not to infringe.

None of the off the shelf ones I have ever looked at where proper,with the flats and shoulder size,and thread size.or even diameter and width. Not saying there not out there. I have not found them.

We also looked at Polyurthane covered sleeve over sealed bearings, have not ruled it out yet

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
In discussion with the princess, a very valid point was made. Roller guide condition will play a big role in wear on any roller. Kind of like putting new tires on a car with bad alignment. But of you were to redo a complete pontoon I'm sure you would want to tune up the rails. As the princess mentioned sometimes every other roller replacement has worked especially if using the plastic rollers on just a bolt stud with no bearings.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
A thought along those lines that's been wedged in my cranium- maybe the roller doesn't need to be a 'roller' at all. If the guide rails are aligned & smooth (any burrs removed) the 'roller' could actually be a rectangular piece of UHMW with rounded corners. This would allow a larger surface area to slide on snow & ice and would drop the friction/wear between the roller & shoulder bolt by 90%(?) since it would no longer be continuously spinning (with high pressure). As long as it wasn't run for long distances w/ no snow it should be able to hold up pretty well.

j farm

GOLD Site Supporter
I have been working with a local machine shop to reproduce track rollers over the past couple years. They are a sealed non greasable type, I ran them last winter with no trouble and not having to grease them is also a plus. He is in production with them and can work on pricing depending on the quantity needed his name as Kevin at foothill manufacturing in Nevada city CA you can reach him at 530-265-8324

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 416

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have been working with a local machine shop to reproduce track rollers over the past couple years. They are a sealed non greasable type, I ran them last winter with no trouble and not having to grease them is also a plus. He is in production with them and can work on pricing depending on the quantity needed his name as Kevin at foothill manufacturing in Nevada city CA you can reach him at 530-265-8324

Are they heat treated? Single bearing or double? Approx price ? I know quanity varies but roughly what price?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

Me thinks that roller is going to be high in price, looks great! Most likely double bearings, from higher carbon Steel maybe 4140 annealed my guess over 60.00
Ea. We will wait and see. :smile:

j farm

GOLD Site Supporter
They are a double sealed roller made of a hard steel And the studs fit nicely in the grouser. I have run them on my 443 and both of my 542 Tucker's with no issues. I'm sure the 40-45 dollar range is out of the question but he is ready to supply new rollers give him a call

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It not just track cost, it's the complete supporting undercarriage that costs.way more than changing rollers,even at 60.00 ea. Still costs less

But don't give up hope, there are more economical roller options stay tuned

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We have been working on a Modular design with interchangeable components
For both the 3/4" and 1" wide rollers both having a heat treated replaceable flange and the 1" having triple bearings yes 3 and the 3/4" having 2 with three possible options to accommodate user price all three using same bearings one option the least costly having uhmw sleeve roller over bearings, second option Steel sleeve option over bearings, third option DOM tube sleeve with polyurethane outer surface over bearings all bearings are sealed the 3/4" having a different center of course for the smaller thread size. We will prototype all three the last being the polyurethane one because of the multiple mold cavity cost we also may consider a complete original with a few minor tweaks to make it not a exact copy :whistling:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Ultimately all I'm trying to do is create a cost effective alternative to the aging roller problems without breaking the bank. like I mentioned I could use 1000 rollers and I can't not find it in me to want to spend 45,000 or more on rollers
Call it what you want, I'm a cheap ass,Buffett style. I don't really care. But at the time Mr Tucker started using these rollers some of these materials we not available and we have used some of these materials with great success, drive sprockets that are poly take great abuse,The UHMW we have used for sprockets with great success to the point that now even the factory new machines are using it. We have used it for drive sprockets in large sawmills for deck chains and under drag chains etc. you just need to know how to use it properly to make it work well.

The roller Jfarm has brought forward looks like a nice roller. Thank you for that.!
I just need a less costly alternative although with a few design changes I think that roller price could be reduced mainly by making the flange a separate piece and starting with a smaller diameter,( the roller diameter )a lot less time and metal chips. Would be needed

But as they say,necessity Is the mother of creation that's what built this country
And I'm in the need dammmmmn my fingers are tired.

All for now

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I was thinking that Tucker being on the west coast,probably used bearings from some sort of material handling device from the logging ,sawmill industry.They must have been standard for something back then.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
At this time we are pursuing the original style roller in quanity to see how low we can get the price.

If it's out of this world then we will pursue the next options

My arm has been twisted very!very! hard by some members to the point it hurts :whistling:now I think I'll need a rum and coke as good old Al would say. :flowers:miss his banter

In the interim some have sworn that they have done entire machines with the poly rollers and stainless bolts with great success thinking maybe up to five years from a piece of plastic in good snow conditions we could pop out some of those rather quickly if needed

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm thinking of a run size of 10,000 rollers we have had contact from users wanting almost 5000 total at this point but I do believe the seal needs to brought up to date I think we can design it to fit into all existing rollers out there now also. Same seal

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
What ever happened to the coyote guy that was making rollers on a CNC machine and bantering about quantity available

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
What ever happened to the coyote guy that was making rollers on a CNC machine and bantering about quantity available

As far as I know he was making outside shells only for the 3/4" not the complete roller or any 1" of anything and the last I had heard not making any at all now.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
When you say "original style roller" do you mean it will need to be greased?

I am not opposed to greasing rollers, keeps me ofin the streets. There is no way to keep water out of the rollers. We have a 1960 443 which still has more than half of the original rollers from the factory. This rig has been greased as per the factory specs and has thousands of miles on it. Using the right grease keeps the rust away and working.I will buy a bunch if price is OK. Thanks for taking the bull by the horns.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I am not opposed to greasing rollers, keeps me ofin the streets. There is no way to keep water out of the rollers. We have a 1960 443 which still has more than half of the original rollers from the factory. This rig has been greased as per the factory specs and has thousands of miles on it. Using the right grease keeps the rust away and working.I will buy a bunch if price is OK. Thanks for taking the bull by the horns.

As another member mentioned offering individual parts could be a way to keep the cost down. It's not a a difficult job to assemble them just tedious.

I'm still yet trying to locate the ball cage if someone actual has bought them a number would help.

Should have the cad files and machine paths all figured soon, material cost, heat treating cost next week, custom seal price next week, would have to find lots of Tucker minions to assemble :wink:maybe an idea would be if you assemble 100 you 3 free:yum:

I wonder what the total number of rollers were out there even 10,000 rollers don't go that far. When you think about each machine having 200-300 rollers

Really if someone else want to grab that bull, I'll just take the part of rodeo clown gladly :biker::biker::horsepoop:

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder what the total number of rollers were out there even 10,000 rollers don't go that far. When you think about each machine having 200-300 rollers

Begs the question of how many steel track machines still remain in service or existence. I know of two machines that could be brought back to life with rollers.

Has anyone ever done a count or would like to hazard a guess?

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The 4 series had 256 rollers, and rough guesstimate of 500 machines that are in a running state, or could be made operational again, that's 128,000 one inch rollers.

Jeffsno27

3/4" & 1" ROLLERS RELEASING SOON!

3/4 & 1" Rollers for your pontoons will be released in mid September. The price will be $45.00 and under for the first batch. They are sealed chrome steel bearings, more info next week.