• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ST 193

jask

Went for a drive today and met the former owner of ST193 :biggrin:
... anyone have any suggestions on how to break the news to my wife???:flowers:

Attachments

• 193 .jpg
    193 .jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 397
  • 1932.jpg
    1932.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 405
  • 1933.jpg
    1933.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 393

jask

Rotten plywood roof cover, two missing windows, worm sprockets, and a broken spring pack on one of the biggie carriers.... Inside has been used as storage space for several years.
On the plus side it includes spare grousers, boggies,carriers,springs, variator sheaves and one sprocket and axle tube.... As well as information on the location of a well picked over hull of another ST4.
It is in terrible condition and I am looking forward to getting it in the shop.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the engine looks like it was stored good. usually the bottom of the air horn traps water and rusts.
looks like it was built in the same batch as mine.
register it here . maybe someday we'll run the numbers and see what is missing.
get the number off the parts one.
jim

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome. (former owner is funny didn't catch it rightoway)

sounds like pretty minor details to get after.

Mike

jask

Can anyone tell me anything about the motor? the PO was convinced it was a 2200:whistling:, I checked the normal block location and it looked unstamped- I will have a better look when it gets to the shop but with the vj4 br25 distributor I am assuming it is a 1200. The front pulley nut is not the special hand crank nut so perhaps the block was a warranty block as I think they were left unstamped?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the engine looks to be a single port 1600. and just take your wife with she will only cut you off for a short time. mine had her doubts at one time now I can buy as many cats as I want as long as they earn their keep.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is definately not the original engine: It would have had one of the custom cut down VW Bus oil bath air cleaners. The serial number is correct for one sold to the Canadian National Railway, which in turn owned and controlled the Canadian Phone Company. This engine has "Clean-Air" tubes on the fan housing. These didn't come in until a couple years after this machine was built, and then only on Bug's, not industrial engines. Judging by the intake manifold, it's about a '63-to '65, 1200, 40HP. No serial number on the block? That generator is also not right, that looks like a later 12 Volt gnerator.
The carb should be a 28PCIT W/manual choke.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
that isn't a 28 carb looks like a 31 fresh air heating system and flat top fan housing says 1600 engine. in that pic you can't see the generator mount to see if it's fixed or cast into the block. what is that contraption over the top of the fuel pump I have never seen that the sn should be stamped in to the case right under the generator mount.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anybody have a spare window gasket?

Your glass guy will have a new gasket. The originals at this point would not be in very good shape unless new old stock, and I am betting there are none to be had. The OEM glass is tempered. I would suggest going with safety glass. Less spendy, and can be cut locally.

Welcome to the club!

Regards, Kirk

jask

Good eye Don! that item turns out to be a manifold governor- unique to the 64-67 bus with the 1500cc option... I did manage to find a few pics of 1200 flat tops online.
Kirk, I was thinking my glass guy would not be able to match the profile easily... he can however have a custom cut and tempered window done on a 2 week turn around- I am dropping off the factory glass info sheets to him on Tuesday.
Lyndon you had me blowing up the original pics on my computer and looking close at the carb- it appears to be a 30 series from what I can read. It looks as if there is a pressure gauge right below the distributor where the oil pressure line goes out!!? that and the 6V/ 12v (?) generator have me scratching my head while scanning over the zoomed in image I noticed the top right of the fan shroud has a rubbed off area with a M51 stamp!!! ( code for a vw 1192cc )

I am starting to wonder if this was one of the custom builds that CN Tel. put together??
Lyndon do you know if all of the accessory heater machines had the extra external fuel tank that I have seen on a few machines, or did they tap into the engine fuel system for some of them?

I really need to get this thing in the shop:smile:

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
give us a pic of the front of the engine at the pedestal and block below the alternator that is where the engine serial number would be.

jask

well I finally had a chance to make a template and start drilling the new tracks, it is going faster than I thought it would :)

Attachments

• 20150107_193520.jpg
    20150107_193520.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 199

jask

All done drilling... waiting on fasteners and some other materials. Machine moves into the garage on Friday and I am planning some track work and paint stripping over the weekend.

Attachments

• 20150107_232934_resized_1.jpg
    20150107_232934_resized_1.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 187

Sno-Surfer

Nice job on the belting. Would you mind providing what type of belting, supplier and approx. price of it? One of these days I'll need to do the same thing.
Thanks!

jask

The belting is a 330 series 3 ply (60 KN/M ), It has a heavy top cover and is a belterra duraline product. They slit it to size (7&1/8th. X 25ft ) from some offcuts and were able to price at 240$, original price quote was closer to 400$ They had hole drills in stock (30$ ) and had it ready to pick up in an afternoon.The sale guy I dealt with told me they have done belts for a few machines used by local clubs, including punching and lacing.

jask

I missed this I have spare windows but with the rubber being over 40 years old I wouldn't count on it being any good.

That's what my wife said about me...:biggrin:
seriously though, I ended up ordering new material to do all the windows when I bought the new glass. What are your thoughts on welding up grousers? I have one that is cracked badly and no spares right now.

rfx

great find , hey trying to keep my project as close to stock as possible if you are checking out the picked over one and it has stock early taillight lenses or whole lights and you don't want em let me know please . wer'e sort of neighbours ,only 3 hours apart. Mines a 63.