• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

First Snow Trac trip this year.

nwerring

Finally the snow and ice conditions were safe enough for a drive to our cabin in the Norwegian mountains :biggrin:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 356

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
good to see trip reports. not many of them shown anymore.
mine didn't start Friday and it sets after cranking it off the trailer with the starter.
jim

Sno-Surfer

How far of a drive is the cabin? Looks like a great Snow Trac.

I've been getting mine out, I need to post some pictures. I've done 6 or 7 trips this winter. It seems to be running well after I put in the new starter with the correct gear on it and a new fuel pump.

nwerring

It's about 22km, or just over one hour. Nice area but alot of weather...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 359

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I just got mine out of hibernation last weekend will be rebuilding the suspension for Iditarod, found a few bad wheel bearings and want to tighten up the suspension rockers. also needed a chain adjustment and belt adjustment. likely it will be a sucky year as very little snow and most has blown away. there will be no trips to safety but muskox tours will be on as there is enough snow in a sliver to make it to the top of anvil mountain

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
that looks to me like a bad rear main seal or you had a 6 volt fly wheel on a 16000 and the flywheel came loose. a rebuilt engine that wasn't line bored could also cause that once the dowl pine hole ovals out. so am I right ?

nwerring

The oil came from the top of the engine, both sides of the fan housing. Have a feeling it might be the O-ring seal on the oil cooler.... I'll find out in the morning.

Sno-Surfer

It does sound like your oil cooler seals or maybe the cooler itself.
What grade of oil are you using and what are the ambient temps?
Thick oil and cold temps could do this. Hope you can get it fixed. :sad:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
could be the o rings or the cooler its self if you re used they old one there are special o rings to use depending on which block and cooler you use you have the early block and later block and adaptor o rings to convert early parts to mate with newer parts if you have a single relief case with a dog house cooler you will need the green adaptor o rings or if you have a duel relief case with the upright cooler you will also need the green o rings

nwerring

It's a low hour 1600cc industrial engine with the old type cooler. I'm useing 10/40 mineral oil and outside temp was about -7C, so not to cold. I started it, backed up 6 feet, forward 6 feet and stopped. Noticed the black tail when I exited the back... Luckily it was right outside our cabin ��

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
look at the bottom see if it has a front and rear oil pressure relief valve if it does you will need the green seals

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
Don I thought I read some place that there were shims under that cooler so you don't over compress those seals? I read that right after I pulled the cooler off that bone I Had in the garage. Course it was right after I pulled the cooler off and didn't look at the seals...or shims:w00t2: v
And you were right the pin had walled out and Johnson going to use a step pin
To repair the block

nwerring

Oil cooler is out and new parts ordered today. The two 10mm nuts on the underside of the cooler are going to be a nightmare to install....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 210

Sno-Surfer

So it's just the seals? The pictured ones don't look right to me.
Strange that it just decided to blow like that. How many miles or hours on the engine before this happened?
Good luck with the fix.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've seen relocation kits. maybe that would be easier to install.

nwerring

It was a low hour engine, but I have a feeling that the seals were the wrong type. The seals I had fit snug on the engine block side, but were a little loose fitting on the cooler. I am going to try the green type this time. With some luck I'll get the new parts on Friday.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 198

nwerring

Got the new oil cooler and seals yesterday and put it back together today. The seals looked nothing like the ones I had.... so I'm hoping they will last this time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 132

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
The green one looks correct. The ones I use are red but still look the same.
the red ones are for a doghouse style oil cooler and new style case the green ones are smaller on one side than the other and are intended to mate new parts to old parts.