• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SnowTrac ST4 Back On The Hill w/New 1600

schmidt

Our beloved SnowTrac's original 1200cc engine went into retirement last February after who knows how many hours. Don Erickson put together this new 1600cc for us with working heater boxes and a number of extras. Kody, at Safe Havens in Leavenworth, WA did the installation. So far, snow has been light in the Washington Cascades, so I have just an hour on the engine. All seems good with a few minor tweaks. I thought this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gaQgl_QQmU ) and images might be of interest to the forum. Thanks Again Don & Kody

PS: Hopefully she'll be off to the body shop this Spring for a facelift and makeup, i.e. paint.

Attachments

• DSC_5950-Edit-Edit.jpg
    DSC_5950-Edit-Edit.jpg
    595 KB · Views: 492
  • DSC_5954.jpg
    DSC_5954.jpg
    605.9 KB · Views: 491
  • DSC_5958.jpg
    DSC_5958.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 490
  • DSC_5959.jpg
    DSC_5959.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 495
  • DSC_5960.jpg
    DSC_5960.jpg
    550.7 KB · Views: 494
  • DSC_5961.jpg
    DSC_5961.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 491
  • DSC_5966.jpg
    DSC_5966.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 488
  • DSC_5965.jpg
    DSC_5965.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 479
  • DSC_5956.jpg
    DSC_5956.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 480

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
looks good, we'll have to get together in late jan at the jamboree.
i'm looking forward to seeing the oil cooler setup.
jim

schmidt

Thanks Jim, sure looks a little sad sitting on the asphalt. Maybe we'll whiten it up a little over the weekend. Hope to see you at the Jamboree. Weekends can be tough for me to getaway, but at the very least I'll have it down in our parking lot which is about 2 miles from the Jamboree. Your welcome to it, take for a spin and see what you think.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have holes cut in the floorpan and had the same type of heat shield around the engine.
it never warmed up enough to run properly until I removed the shielding.
if you have carb problems check you engine temp .
I was running the 1200cc engine so you may be ok.
this is mine the morning of our first "track party" a few years back.
coveredsnowtrac.jpg

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
here is a list of what went into his engine Jim I replaced the.
crank
cam
bearings
ss pushrod tubes
breast tin
new heads
new cylinders
Teflon buttons to replace the failure prone gigen pin clips
new 30 mm oil pump
new carb
a align bored case
oil filter adaptor
new electronic vacuum advance distributor
up right oil cooler
I re used all the additional tin and had a spare generator to drop on to it I went through three till I found a good one, also installed a 200 mm fly wheel from a core motor

forgot a set of new modified heater boxes and new van type muffler

schmidt

Interesting that you should mention the engine temp. I am getting a new S&W Oil Temp gauge and sensor hopefully installed next week. Per Don's suggestion, it will go on the oil drain plug. If the current air temp is 32 degrees, what should the proper temp be? I have put a meat thermometer down the oil stick which did reach the oil and it was around 220 degrees fahrenheit. I do notice the performance of the engine is better at this operating temp. Maybe my "Jerry Rigged" front shield should be removed?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the oil temp should be running between 180 and about 220 .I still think the best way to monitor the engine heat is with a cylinder head temp gauge. when the engine starts to load down you will see the temp climb fast and once you drop a gear it will drop fast again . you get some nice instant readings that way. the vdo bug kit is about 60 bucks.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have mine checking the oil temp at the pressure sender next to the dip stick.
jim

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I have mine checking the oil temp at the pressure sender next to the dip stick. jim
bad place you want the temp of the oil in the pan ,that is what s going into your engine after a portion has been cooled by the bypass oil cooler.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I am using both cylinder head temp and oil temperatures in mine I have a front mounted oil cooler with a electric fan. I do plan on changing it as right now if the ignition is on the fan runs all the time across the cooler I going to install a relay
And a adjustable probe at the cooler so it lets it warm up faster also going to install a oil filter at cooler with a bypass

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Brad how is your oil cooler plumbed. is it a full flow off the oil pump or a bypass type off the oil cooler port under the fan housing.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
.I still think the best way to monitor the engine heat is with a cylinder head temp gauge. .. the vdo bug kit is about 60 bucks.

I don't know if it is my heads, the plugs or? I couldn't get it to work on my 1600. There wasn't enough clearance for the sensor to fit. I wound up pressure clipping it to a fin as close to the head and cylinder as I could.

Not ideal, but it is tracking so I can see the increase/decrease and shift accordingly.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Mine is adapter from oil cooler port under fan housing
that is a bypass oil cooler it takes oil off #3 main and runs it through an oil cooler if you have a dual pressure relief case than you already have a thermostatically controlled flow the way it works is when the oil is thick the rear relief piston plugs off the the flow of oil to the oil cooler than when the oil gets warm and thin it allows oil to flow through the oil cooler cb performance makes a ported cover for the oil pump that will allow you to add full flow cooling and filtration.

schmidt

Hi Don, Sorry for slow reply. I am not sure where I should look, perhaps you answered this in the above post? Brad