• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Used vs rebuilt C4 ???

rockhead

Soooooo my 1450 has a lame C4 transmission, I am torn between an inexpensive used one vs 1500 CAD more to have mine rebuilt.
Any thoughts or gotchas or knowledge on the general longevity of these ?
The used one came out of a Maverick with the same engine as I have so that is hopeful(ish).

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
my 2¢:

Used is unknown. It may be a good bridge while you find a cheaper rebuilt but starting from a known good is my preference. Then store/rebuild the cheap one and keep as spare.

rodre

I think when I was researching the1450 (engine, tranny etc.) I found that there is a version of the c4, or may have been a c6 that had an electronic overdrive gear. If you are going to swap trannys maybe look at getting one with an overdrive depending on your usage?

PJL

If you know the history then it's probably a safe bet. Also think about how much it will be to pull it back it.

rockhead

I think when I was researching the1450 (engine, tranny etc.) I found that there is a version of the c4, or may have been a c6 that had an electronic overdrive gear. If you are going to swap trannys maybe look at getting one with an overdrive depending on your usage?
The sequel to the C4 is the AOD and AODE but I'd rather than get rolling than embark on a custom project at this time of year :bolt:

snowcatt

I picked a c4 out of a 78 Ford I changed the torque seal pulled the pan from it was nice and clean pulls and shifts great $ 100. I do all my own work so pulling a tranny is nothing to me
Good luck and have fun .send some snow our way

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
One of the issues we all have to cope with is where we run. It's where AAA isn't around. (Unless you're near where Jim VT, runs).

The issue we face is called the "bathtub curve of failure": The failure rate is high at first (AKA Infantile failure) then goes low and continues low until near design life (EOL) where it starts to ramp up. With snow seasons, depending on what component it is, infantile failure could take a few years to show. Trying to get past that point but not anywhere near the EOL is what most of us strive for when using used parts. Rebuilt's restart the timer.

At the least, pull the pan and see what the bottom looks like. If nice and reasonably clean then great. If debris is found, consider why the donor car is a donor first.

Have fun
Stay safe

CT

rockhead

Talked to tranny shop, got their take on things plus adding in the cost of their time to the used one as a gamble, plus found out the price I was quoted was tax in and suddenly the value proposition looked better, even moreso when I added three hours of travel into the old one's acquisition.
Rebuilt C4 should be ready on Friday :wink: . There will be no walking down for me

rockhead

Well it is in and self propelled again:thumbup:, now to put all the other bits in and get to work :hammer: Oooooh its so shiny

Attachments

• shiny.jpg
    shiny.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 124