• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Restaurants are closing; Remember, tip the servers

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
With the dine in restaurants closing around here, many are staying open with take outs. Whilst I always tip for take out, generally most people do not. Keep in mind the servers are the same people as those who used to survive on tips so,,,; please remember to include a tip for these folks.

They need to pay their bills too.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
With the dine in restaurants closing around here, many are staying open with take outs. Whilst I always tip for take out, generally most people do not. Keep in mind the servers are the same people as those who used to survive on tips so,,,; please remember to include a tip for these folks.

They need to pay their bills too.

Great advice for those who are still doing take out. My wife and I set our plan in motion over all this and decided no eating out whether it was dine in (gone now) or take out. Cooking is a pleasure for us. Some other, not so much, I guess.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Just remember, buying all the TP so you have plenty whilst others do without, is selfish.

Now is the time to SHARE what we have, not hoard it. That includes our money if we can manage it. If you can afford to eat out, you can afford to be generous.

BTW, I do all the cooking, and mostly from scratch. But we eat out at the same restaurant every day. I've be tipping the girls heavy for the last two weeks. Now that they are takeout only, I'll continue to do so.

Call me foolish, stupid or crazy but,,,,; Best strategy for getting everyone out of the crisis. PAY IT FORWARD FOLKS.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Just remember, buying all the TP so you have plenty whilst others do without, is selfish.

Now is the time to SHARE what we have, not hoard it. That includes our money if we can manage it. If you can afford to eat out, you can afford to be generous.

BTW, I do all the cooking, and mostly from scratch. But we eat out at the same restaurant every day. I've be tipping the girls heavy for the last two weeks. Now that they are takeout only, I'll continue to do so.

Call me foolish, stupid or crazy but,,,,; Best strategy for getting everyone out of the crisis. PAY IT FORWARD FOLKS.

Funny you say that. We have at least a years supply of TP on hand. Yes, I do maintain that at all times. Prepping, not hording.

Some friends of ours are almost out of TP. Yes, you know the ones, nice folks, but always chuckle and share a glance with each other when the subject of prepping came up. Good ole Butch they will say (or think), he should put down that tin foil hat once in while. LOL.. Well, lo and behold ole TR will come through in the clutch and help them out and it is my pleasure to do so. A gift,the only recompense I would like would be they learn something in all this going forward. Preparing for tough times is not a wacky paranoid thing to do, it is common sense and doing what needs to be done to protect the family.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Funny you say that. We have at least a years supply of TP on hand. Yes, I do maintain that at all times. Prepping, not hording.

Some friends of ours are almost out of TP. Yes, you know the ones, nice folks, but always chuckle and share a glance with each other when the subject of prepping came up. Good ole Butch they will say (or think), he should put down that tin foil hat once in while. LOL.. Well, lo and behold ole TR will come through in the clutch and help them out and it is my pleasure to do so. A gift,the only recompense I would like would be they learn something in all this going forward. Preparing for tough times is not a wacky paranoid thing to do, it is common sense and doing what needs to be done to protect the family.

Being prepared may get you a tin foil hat but remember;;;;
You can give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Or, you can teach him to fish and feed him for life. However, many such "students" end up fishing whilst sitting in your boat drinking your beer.

I suggest that if such happens, one might consider to just tip them overboard.

Bannedjoe

Being prepared may get you a tin foil hat but remember;;;;
You can give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Or, you can teach him to fish and feed him for life. However, many such "students" end up fishing whilst sitting in your boat drinking your beer.

I suggest that if such happens, one might consider to just tip them overboard.

Which reminds me, and I may have it wrong, but there's also an adage about fishing with a mormon.
If you go fishing with a Mormon, in order to keep him from drinking all your beer, you have to bring a second one so they'll keep an eye on each other.

But on topic, I'm so glad I'm not in the Restaurant biz anymore. These would be very sad times.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
My son is 16 and works in a restaurant splitting time between the dishes and cooking. He got layed off this week as the restaurant was forced to switch to take out orders only. Hopefully this doesn't last long.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife and I use the same place virtually every day. Our lunch is meager and the bill totals $14.59. I always tip $4.00. Today was the last dine it day. All of this week I have been leaving ten bucks on the table.

These gals will be out at least three weeks. We'll tip heavy then as well.

Bannedjoe

My wife and I use the same place virtually every day. Our lunch is meager and the bill totals $14.59. I always tip $4.00. Today was the last dine it day. All of this week I have been leaving ten bucks on the table.

These gals will be out at least three weeks. We'll tip heavy then as well.

I don't dine out much.
I have yet to find anyone who can make food worth buying that I can't make better and cheaper at home, sans Sashimi/sushi, but that's only because you can't find sashimi grade fish very often.

I also get tired of trying to explain what a blue steak is to people, and just can't send one back 5 times until they get it right.

But when we were driving OTR, we dined out a lot, and always tipped 20% or better.
And sometimes if the cook did a good job, I'd walk back into the kitchen like I owned the place, walk right up to the guy at the grill and hand him a $5 or a $10 bill.

I believe the food and the service don't necessarily go hand in hand.
If the food sucks, but the wait staff did their job well, they still get their tip.