• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

So I borrowed a Tucker for Christmas......

The Sweet Wbj1

GOLD Site Supporter
My wife and I and my brother in law and his wife took our kids on a heck of an adventure for Christmas!! We took a Tucker up to our cabin at 10,000' for a week!

I owe a huge shout out to Blackfoot Tucker a.k.a "The Legendary Blackfoot Tucker" a.k.a. "El Supremo" (Jay) and his buddy, Gorilla a.k.a. "Scott", for not only letting us borrow Jays' 1544 for Christmas, but also working their asses off to have it done in time for us to take!! Who would imagine you meet a guy on a forum and a few years later he just let's you borrow his Tucker to go to your cabin for Christmas!?!? Well believe me folks, it is possible! I mean not only did they work like crazy to have it done, they installed light bars on it, Jay knows how I am scared of the dark, AND they also even put our names on the doors!!!

The trip was quite the drive fest for me. I left from Atlanta around 4:00pm EST and headed to Kansas City. We got to Kansas City around 3:00 am CST. My brother in law met me off an exit where I dropped my kids off with him so they could spend sometime with him and ride the rest of the trip to CO with their four cousins. I then headed on to Grand Junction CO. Arrived in Grand Junction somewhere around 3:00 pm MST. My life long friend, Teddy, that now lives in Montrose CO met me in Grand Junction and rode out with me to Salt Lake City. We were both in awe that we were finally going to meet "The Legendary Blackfoot Tucker" (TLBFT) in person!! All I can say is it did not disappoint. We arrived at The Gorillas shop around 7:45 pm MST. What a couple of great guys those two are. I could have stayed there all night to hang out an BS. They showed us Thundercat and Snowzilla and we just talked about all kinds of stuff. VERY VERY COOL to finally meet those guys in person!! They even had the 1544 all loaded up on a trailer ready to hook up and go.
8PFgZjkh.jpg

As much as I hated to leave it had been a long, non stop, drive and I didn't want to keep TLBFT and The Gorilla out past their bed times! Teddy and I headed back and spent the night on the South side of SLC. Got to bed about 11:00PM. We headed out the next morning and got to Montrose just in time for me to pick my wife up at the MTJ airport. My wife and I headed from the airport straight up the mountain. Enough talking - time for pics!

We access our place via an easement through a HUGE private ranch. The road to their gate was very packed and through most of the ranch was somewhat packed. This is about halfway up to their gate.
dJnSH4mh.jpg

First evening after we had made it up to the cabin and unloaded everything.
9EGnOXgh.jpg

Sunrise the first morning. It sure is tough to have to look at that while drinking coffee each morning!
H31lp3vh.jpg

The majority of the trip basically consisted of the kids sledding to the point of complete exhaustion and then coming inside to recover by having monopoly battles. Once they were warmed up and recouped back to sledding they went. Check out this crew!
uifBUxah.jpg

SVcO9Cyh.jpg

We had two sledding hills. One small close one and one big one. The BIG sledding hill is a MONSTER! We don't believe in raising softies so we told them they could hike to sled. Pretty soon no one was sledding on the big hill. Like basically immediately. They said the hike was too much. My brother in law and I then proceeded to prove them wrong and we walked up. ONCE... I think the steepness + the length + the sugar snow + 10,000' elevation combined to make the hike to the top an absolute soul killer! We started giving rides to the top after that.

The big hill from about 3/4 of the way up. It wraps on up and around the bend to the left at the top. Pics do not do it justice!
flRXdVzh.jpg

Riding up
c8Pr1RMh.jpg

The would be wore down so far they couldn't even stay awake long enough to get loaded back up and ride to the top of the hill again!
mCRTPC6h.jpg

We burned a TON of firewood just staying warm watching them sled!
yOwkONJh.jpg

They'd be sledding even when the snow was coming down HARD!
RmXDOFOh.jpg

We did a little ice fishing down at a buddys' cabin. Unfortunately we waited until towards the end of the trip when it was snowing, blowing and COLD! The kids hung tough but finally submitted to the cold after about 3 hours and twenty holes drilled.
HAydJDah.jpg

HvrguF4h.jpg

It snowed ~18" over the last 48 hours we were there! Cleaning the solar panels off became a regular chore.
wrmi5qTh.jpg

The two 12 year old boys took an axe and cut down a Christmas tree for us. Then all 6 kids made the ornaments for it.
73Zpvnth.jpg

The cabin
4TcgZtah.jpg

While there my son fell in love with the snowboard! I couldn't believe how quick he picked it up. This gives a better perspective of the big sledding hill. (Can't figure out how to embed the video)
https://youtu.be/coXqDvu-InI

While we were there I put 30 hours on Jays' 1544 which I will feel bad about forever! Then I also lost one of the ramps for his dang trailer!! It somehow disappeared over the week the trailer was parked so when we came back down we had to shovel up a snow ramp to load up.

I learned a TON about Tuckering for sure! Those 6 kids made memories that will last their lifetimes. On the way down the mountain they were already talking about next time!

I will always be grateful for finding this board, meeting Jay and his generosity!!

u5aWSu7h.jpg

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
fabulous, once in a lifetime adventure...

yes, BFT, is an amazing person and you are so privileged to have him as a friend, I believe he is one of the best people you could ever want to meet along with mr mn outdoor man, these two, are good people...they do so much for the snow cat community.

does not surprise me one bit, that he loaned you his personal tucker and then spent countless hours preparing it to perfection so you could have a very memorable holiday with your family, very special !

all of us on the forums are so blessed to have people like BFT be part of the forums and so willing to share his and Scott's vast knowledge.

WBjr, thank you so much for sharing photos and a well written story of your families Christmas in the Rockies

"stay orange and tucker on"

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know BFT other than comments on posts, This story choked me up a little bit. One of the nicest things I have read in a while anywhere. Standing ovation for BFT.:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:Marty

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I appreciate all the kind words, but everything we did to get the 1544 ready for WBJ1 needed to be done before we listed the machine for sale. So really all we did was move up the timetable for the repairs… Also, WBJ1 and I have had many, many conversations over the phone, via text, and email, so I was 100% confident in him when he borrowed the machine. Not 99%…100%!

The missing ramp is a blessing in disguise. This trailer was a package deal with the 1544. The ramps that originally came with the trailer when bought new were replaced with a pair of generic ramps that didn’t really fit, and that's what I got. They worked marginally well. Neither Scott nor I liked them, and we planned on making a new set, that fit properly, but these worked "well enough” that actually making some nice ones was never high on the project to-do list. Now however, there is a legitimate need for addressing the ramp situation…a GREAT thing!

Prior to WBJ1 using the 1544, he had no experience with a forward engine Tucker. While we’ve discussed various ideas for Snowzilla, he didn’t have any real experience to have an opinion with what he liked or thought was necessary. Now he does, and hopefully that will translate into Snowzilla being a better finished product for WBJ1.

Lastly, for Scott and me Christmas is all about children. We were able to help WBJ1 make a very special Christmas for his son and daughter, and their cousins. Knowing we were a small part of that is a huge reward for us.