• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Arts and Crafts

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I wonder if anyone would be interested in starting a forum for arts and crafts? I am a hand spinner and I make up crochet patterns to use up the wool that I make. I also paint and do various other crafts and would be happy to share my knowledge with anyone else who is interested - any takers - also to learn other crafts etc., from others?

I will start the ball rolling by posting a crochet pattern that I made up and also posting pictures of the finished article. If there is any interest, then there are several patterns that I can share - so how about it folks?

I have tried to upload the pattern several times, but it is in Publisher format and the system does not seem to be able to handle that - so I will type it out again, then add the photographs:-

Crochet Bonnet

Ch 6 into a ring.
Round 1 16 tr. into ring (for the American version, I think the tr is dc - ie treble crochet in English is double crochet in America) but I will continue in English and I have no doubt that you can translate!
Round 2 2 tr into each tr (32 sts)
Round 3 1 tr into each tr
Round 4 2 tr into each tr (64 sts)
Round 5 1 tr into each tr
Round 6 Alternate 2tr, 1tr into each st (98 sts)
Finish off and weave in ends.
For the brim, chain 32 sts and working on these stitches, continue until work measure the required length. Sew onto crown ( the round already made) and fold over the brim and sew the ends together. Crochet three strands of wool together in a chain to form the strings and sew one to each side. Trim around the crown and the brim with dc (sc - American) in contrasting colour. Add crochet rose, if liked, to the centre of the crown - this too to be crochet in the contrasting colour. (Pattern for the rose can be supplied if required). Trim the ends of the strings to an even length and bind off as tassels. Happy Crocheting!

Attachments

• Crochet bonnet 1.jpg
    Crochet bonnet 1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Crochet bonnet 2.jpg
    Crochet bonnet 2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 72

Abby

I would be very interested in an arts and crafts forum. I too, love this kind of stuff. I'm not the most skilled at crocheting, but I have contemplated making an afghan this winter.
I've done tole painting, pysanky eggs (Ukranian art form using dyes and bees wax), salt dough ornaments for Christmas, the list goes on. Anything artsy always grabs my interest! One day I hope to try my hand at stained glass.

I used to collect the large coffee cans, which I thought one day a school is going to be asking students to bring one in and I'll have enough for the entire class. Well, that didn't happen and I had to free up some space so, I had seen a show on HGTV (Home and Garden TV) using coffee cans to make ottomans and ended up with enough to make two of them. I wrapped, using duct tape, the cans in a circle. If I remember correctly, I used a total of 14 cans per ottoman. Two layers of 7 cans stacked on top of one another. I went to my local fabric store, bought some padding and some upholstery fabric and improvised. They turned out rather well and come in very handy for unexpected guests. Sorry, I don't have a pic to share.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
First of all, thank you for replying to my thread, it is good to know that there is at least one like minded person out there! Have a go at the bonnet, it is very easy. I have made afghans in the past, I have added some pictures of these, the first one is made of handspun wool and actually is a bedspread. The second is a double bedspread again, but used to cover up an old chaise longue that desperately needs recovering! The third, I have just made for a pram cover for my 18 month old granddaughter. Good luck with you afghan, I hope I have given you a bit of inspiration.

Attachments

• Crochet bedspread-afghans 002.jpg
    Crochet bedspread-afghans 002.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Crochet bedspread-afghans 003.jpg
    Crochet bedspread-afghans 003.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Crochet bedspread-afghans 007.jpg
    Crochet bedspread-afghans 007.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 86
P

Pigtails

IQ;

Nice work. I tried once to make a pair of slippers, but to no avail. One was a little different then the other. haha. :D I used to macrama plant hangers. I haven't done any in a very long time. Remember the 60's and 70's? I made alot of ceiling hangers for friends and relatives. Never kept any for myself though. Have fun.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Pigtails, now is your chance to try again. Over here the nights are getting longer, darker and colder, time to sit in and watch tv - that gets pretty boring, so I try to spin or crochet something at the same time. Half an eye on the tv at crucial points and the rest of my attention on what I am doing if I am doing a new pattern. Spinning is different, that can easily be accommodated while watching tv - neither really needs that much attention! I too remember the macrame plant hangers etc. from the 60's and 70's, though I have patterns for them in various books, I have never actually done any macrame.

Abby

Thanks, Ice Queen! Your last pic reminds me of a pattern I had seen in an old Ladies Home Journal. I actually made it and it turned out very nice. Perhaps I should dig out the crochet hook and get going again. Usually during the winter I work jigsaw puzzles, 1000 pieces. That keeps me entertained while still daylight, then its harder to see the pieces clearly. Crocheting may be just the thing I need.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Or you could take up handspinning, a very relaxing occupation for dark winter evenings. You can also watch tv, talk, drink wine or whatever as well!!

P

Pigtails

Hey, I just sent off for a Swedeish weaving kit. I seen some neighbors couch throw and got interested in trying it..

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Tell me more when it arrives, I shall be most interested. I did some spinnning last night and then some carding (preparing the wool for spinning by combing the fibres to get the bits out) and then a bit more crochet of some granny square with a difference - the pattern I got off the internet. Did you know that you can download lots of patterns from there? Try typing in free crochet patterns, or knitting patterns if that is more your 'thing'.