• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

...because quarantine can be hard

marley888

This stay at home business is rough. I'm one of those people that need to be doing something all the time, keeping busy. It was nice to relax for a few days but now I think I'm going stir crazy. lol

I'm a chef for a living and with all this going on I am out of work. How many of you out there are in the same boat? A good majority I am sure.

I've been keeping busy with my time, looking for ways to keep working. Coming up with new recipes and making up a new seasonal menu for whenever we are able to open back up again. I stumbled across a few sites that have you do stupid random things that you can make money from home off of. Tried some of those. They're mostly gimmicks.

If you are interested and do not mind writing reviews on music and fashion while you have some spare time, check this out. It may help pass the time and doesn't pay you much, but I have been able to get a shopping cart of essentials with the time I spent typing away.

Thought I'd share. <link removed by moderator>

Stay safe everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been doing this stay at home thing for 5 years now since I can't work anymore. So it's not too big of a change. My wife and kids are finding it difficult though.

We have 6 kids so spending time with them doing different things throughout the days has kept us busy. We live out in the country with 6 acres so once the weather warms up and the snow melts, we can get outside.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
No major issues for us. We are both retired. Cooking, getting lots of exercise, we have both lost weight (intentional) and saving money. I checked the Odo on the truck and I have drove 95 miles this month so far. The Jeep, 15 miles so needless to say we are not burning gas.

We are renting a few movies a week which is something we normally do not do much of. Next movie on the list, the latest Star Wars movie.

Yup, we are doing just fine and I do not miss interacting with people at all. Not a bit. :smile:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The trick is getting into a good routine and not just sitting in front of the TV all day. I used to go to the gym 3 times a week. Now, I have a gym set up and do my workout routine here. It's just a matter of modifying your routine and finding a good hobby to keep you busy.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Personally I'm not having a problem with it. The weather has been my problem with rain keeping me shut up indoors.

My wife on the other hand is extremely involved in the local community and has been suffering with the confinement. I've set her a task of coming up with different, exotic recipes for dinner every day. So far she is responding well to the challenge. We've had some amazing dinners. Tomorrow her challenge is "duck". We'll see what she comes up with.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As a high school and a private club coach, I do miss the interaction with the kids and the competitions.

One fo the things I've done is that I've been loading the club website with training videos. These are not videos I've produced, but rather videos of olympians, competitors and from some of the serious competitive clubs. I also send out some group texts with instructions. Additionally I'm in contact with tome of the coaches at other clubs trying to give them ideas so their clubs stay in business after this whole fiasco is over. My club is a well funded non-profit, we will reopen without missing a beat. But some of the clubs that actually pay rent and salaries are going to have a hard time surviving this. There are ways to monetize content, live-stream lessons, etc. Just trying to brainstorm with some of them.

I'm a bit more active in chatting on-line with my sister in London.

Got plenty of work to do around the property if the rain would hold up and allow me to get back out to it.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
OK, here's is my thought. I think I am not alone here in speaking there are a lot of us old, grumpy anti-social curmudgeons who are totally content to keep away from people and observe them from a distance.

I sure as hell know I am. :th_lmao::clap::thumbup::th_lmao:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I can handle the issolation for the mostpart. It's things like scouts that is hard. Sure, we can send the kids emails with things they can do at home that are scouting related but it's not the same as actually getting them out in the woods learning about things. We had some bigger projects the kids were working on as well as a few camps planned. All that got cancelled as well as our major fundraising events which raise money to keep us going for another year. We're at a break even budget every year so there's not a lot of extra funds going around. Next year will be very tough in terms of what we can offer the kids for programming.

Bannedjoe

OK, here's is my thought. I think I am not alone here in speaking there are a lot of us old, grumpy anti-social curmudgeons who are totally content to keep away from people and observe them from a distance.

I sure as hell know I am. :th_lmao::clap::thumbup::th_lmao:

I too am quite happy. Being retired for over 5 years and living in the boonies.
My wife and I need no one but each other.
IMO, the more people you have in your life, the more problems you will exponentially have.

I don't even need to observe others.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I've been practicing social isolation (as much as possible) for the last 20 years. I'm hoping it sticks around a lot longer.

rugerman

Due to kidney failure I have to go to dialysis 3 times a week, last week my fistula clotted up twice so I was in the hospital for the week getting it fixed, first surgery was 3 hours, second was 2.5 hours, they gave me a nerve block so I was awake for both procedures, lots of strange sounds.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
After 3 decent days it's back to being shut up again because of rain. It's supposed to last for about a week. My wife is still hanging in there. She spends a lot more time on the internet and talking to her cronies on the phone. When I come to think about it, that's what she normally does anyway. Don't tell her I said that. :bolt:

rugerman

My lovely wife used to go recreational shopping to pass the time, didn’t buy much just looked, now she does it on the computer but she is buying more. I spend a lot of time on my iPad learning stuff. Our governor just issued a travel ban except for “essential travel”, doctor visits, grocery, etc.so it’s kind of boring.