• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Trump Admin fights Nuns, supports Obama's birth control mandate

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Little Sisters of the Poor, the nuns who fought the Obamacare birth control mandate, thought President Trump was on their side and was going to defend religious liberty.

Another example of Trump faking right, but playing leftist/liberal :hammer:

Full article at the link => http://reason.com/blog/2017/04/25/trump-administration-not-backing-off-leg

Trump Administration Not Backing Off Legal Battle With Catholic Nuns

This is why you shouldn't trust a man who has no principles of his own to do right by yours.

Stephanie Slade Apr. 25, 2017 3:40 pm

What you see with Donald Trump is what you get. Until it's not.

On the campaign trail the GOP nominee repeatedly vowed to side with the Little Sisters of the Poor, an order of Catholic nuns who run nursing homes to care for the indigent elderly. They and six other religious nonprofits had been embroiled in a legal battle with the Obama administration over a Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) rule saying they had to help make sure their employees have access to totally free contraception and sterilizations.

The Supreme Court last spring kicked the case back down to a lower court and ordered the two sides to try to come up with a compromise—getting women access to birth control, in other words, but doing so without forcing the sisters, who object on moral grounds to those products and procedures, to be involved in a way they believe makes them complicit in sin.

But that was when most everyone still believed that Hillary Clinton would be our next commander in chief, and, thus, that she would get to select the person to fill then–recently departed Justice Antonin Scalia's seat on the high court. It was also assumed that her HHS Department would be eager to continue the fight against the Catholic sisters, et al.

After Trump shocked the world on November 8, all those predictions flew out the window. But it seems the new set of assumptions that replaced them—namely, that Trump, a Republican who campaigned promising to protect religious liberty, would actually do so—may have been wrong as well. In October, he penned a letter to the Catholic Leadership Conference in which he explicitly proclaimed that

Hillary Clinton supports forcing the Little Sisters of the Poor who have taken care of the elderly poor since 1839 [to] pay for contraceptives in their health care plan (even though they have never wanted them, never used them and never will), and having the government fine them heavily if they continue to refuse to abide by this onerous mandate. That is a hostility to religious liberty you will never see in a Trump administration.

As The Washington Post is now reporting, conservative Trump voters may have been taken for a ride they weren't expecting. Rather than rescinding the HHS mandate or dropping the government's case, his Justice Department yesterday "asked the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit for an additional 60 days to negotiate."

Full Article at Link Above​

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
This is a prime example of why I have said I don't support everything that has to do with President Trump.

mmmhmmm..

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is a prime example of why I have said I don't support everything that has to do with President Trump.

mmmhmmm..

Its a prime example of why I was so SKEPTICAL of Trump and why I remain very skeptical and cautious about him.

I'm not saying that Hillary would be better. She would be far far far far worse. But this guy is not the gift to conservatism that many expected him to be.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Its a prime example of why I was so SKEPTICAL of Trump and why I remain very skeptical and cautious about him.

I'm not saying that Hillary would be better. She would be far far far far worse. But this guy is not the gift to conservatism that many expected him to be.

I know, I feel much the same as you and always did really.

Kinda throws a wrench in things when idiots on other forums (strictly political) assume they know what you're thinking about Trump as far as 100% support.:whistling::yum:

I voted for him.
I don't love or hate him.
It's not as tho I am cheering or thrilled with his being President.
Haven't done that since uhhh Reagan?

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Little Sisters of the Poor, the nuns who fought the Obamacare birth control mandate, thought President Trump was on their side and was going to defend religious liberty.

Another example of Trump faking right, but playing leftist/liberal :hammer:

Full article at the link => http://reason.com/blog/2017/04/25/trump-administration-not-backing-off-leg

Full Article at Link Above​

I'm not clear here what the problem is. SCOTUS kicked the ruling back down ans ordered the sides to work to reach a compromise. So far they haven't. So they asked for more time. Rescinding the mandate or Justice dropping the government case is not compromising.

Personally, I don't believe that anybody or any group should be required to pay for anything for another group, bur's that another matter.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I am just not sure that I believe anything that comes out the media's mouth these days. That being said, I am concerned on length of time the Trump administration is taking to fill up spots in various positions. Until you get your team in place, you either have vacancies or worse, former O'ButtHole people screwing things up. Understand the problem, some of these people are former anti Trump people, those with successful lives, conflicts with government "ethics" rules, or just sheer number of people to find and vet. Hard to drain the swamp when you have to get approval of Swamp People to move forward. If Trump fails, America will end, or certainly end as we know it. That much I firmly believe.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not clear here what the problem is.

I think based on his campaign speeches, the problem that is concerning is this, from the above article:
Rather than rescinding the HHS mandate or dropping the government's case, his Justice Department yesterday "asked the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit for an additional 60 days to negotiate."
Why do we need to extend negotiations for something that is so blatantly wrong?

Why do celibate nuns have to pay for birth control that is against their religion? Why do celibate nuns even have to go to court for something so stupid?

What is the compromise here? That celibate nuns agree not to have sex? Or that celibate nuns agree not to have children?

Bamby

Why should I be forced to bake a wedding cake for queers if it's against my moral principals?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Trump is not a traditional conservative, never said he was.

He has widened the base of the party, something here to for an impossibility. I don't think there was any other candidate on the right who could have done that.

How successful as POTUS he will be is yet to be seen. I am concerned however at the pace and inability to move major legislation through Congress. Why he has not fired every federal judge yet is beyond me as well. :glare:

Hopefully he can get Republicans to act in unison, and get more done soon.

Regards, Kirk

rugerman

Why should I have to pay for anyone else's stuff, much less for coverage that I don' t need or will never use. I don't think that Trump is against the nuns, I think that he is working on something to fix this problem and he is just waiting til it is complete to release it, just a stall til it's ready.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
With Paul Ryan actually fighting Trump's agenda I think Trump is facing an uphill battle.

Paul Ryan could end up handing the next election over to the Democrats when all those new Republicans abandon ship, and go back to being Democrats. We elected Trump to actually do things. If the Republican leadership fail to cooperate, prepare for the beating the left would like us to see..

We set sail with Trump as captain. He should be treated as such, or we will find ourselves right back in the port of despair. :sad:

Regards, Kirk

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think based on his campaign speeches, the problem that is concerning is this, from the above article:

Why do we need to extend negotiations for something that is so blatantly wrong?

Why do celibate nuns have to pay for birth control that is against their religion? Why do celibate nuns even have to go to court for something so stupid?

What is the compromise here? That celibate nuns agree not to have sex? Or that celibate nuns agree not to have children?

I agree with your premise. I so stated. But I don't see this as the issue here.

The judge has already told the parties to work something out.