• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New Tax Plan released by Trump Admin

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin has unveiled one of the biggest tax cuts in U.S. history this afternoon.

The key points to take away include the following:

• The business tax rate will be lowered from 35% to 15%, taking the U.S. from one of the highest corporate tax rates in the developed world to one of the lowest.
• The top rate for "S corporations," small organizations that currently file returns under the individual tax code, would fall from 39.6% to 15%.
• End to double taxation on overseas profits.
• A one-time tax on overseas profits coming back to the U.S.
• Individual income tax rates will be reduced to 3 brackets, 10%, 25%, and 35%.
• The standard deduction for individuals and married couples will double, saving families $6,300 per person.
• A married couple will not pay taxes on the first $24,000 of income.
• All deductions other than charity and mortgage interest will be eliminated.
• The marriage penalty would be eliminated.
• Eliminate 3.8% Obamacare Tax.
• Reduce tax on capital gains and dividends back to pre-Obama rates.
• Repeal "Death Tax" on inheritances.

Source #1 => https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...onald-trump-tax-plan-steve-mnuchin/100923518/

Source #2 => http://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...de-large-increase-in-personal-deductions.html

Attachments

• 18121324_630454177140581_5381368783867182567_o.png
    18121324_630454177140581_5381368783867182567_o.png
    146.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 18121055_10155685443338812_7580667376733928938_o.jpg
    18121055_10155685443338812_7580667376733928938_o.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 47

rugerman

Keeping his promises, and thinking like a businessman! That should help the economy, give folks something to work for rather than working to pay taxes. Now people will be able to see their hard work paying dividends to themselves instead of to the government. You go Trump!

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
It needs a tax on imports. Particularly those from Mexico.
If he had an import tax on Mexico that would pay for the Wall and that way Mexico would (indirectly) be paying for it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It needs a tax on imports. Particularly those from Mexico.
If he had an import tax on Mexico that would pay for the Wall and that way Mexico would (indirectly) be paying for it.

Wouldn't that just raise the prices we pay for cars, electronics, appliances, etc that are made in Mexico for the US market?

So wouldn't that mean that American consumers would pay for the wall because those taxes would be passed on to us in the form of higher prices?

Keeping his promises, and thinking like a businessman! That should help the economy, give folks something to work for rather than working to pay taxes. Now people will be able to see their hard work paying dividends to themselves instead of to the government. You go Trump!

My thoughts exactly.

rugerman

I like the proposed tax on money that the illegals are sending back home via wire. Let the illegals pay for the wall!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like the proposed tax on money that the illegals are sending back home via wire. Let the illegals pay for the wall!

YUP, a wire transfer tax on funds transferred out of the US might work.

-----------------------------

From the Wall Street Journal. This is only a portion of the article. Follow the link to see the bulk of it.

I highlighted a key section of the tax proposal. Currently state taxes can be deducted but under this proposal that is not possible. For most income earners that is not a problem because Trumps proposal doubles the individual deduction for everyone. But high tax states and higher tax individuals would be paying more in those states. Its possible that GOP House members would object to that if they are from high tax states like California, or the New York/New England region where many states have high state income taxes.

LINK to WSJ => https://www.wsj.com/articles/mnuchin-says-trump-will-offer-biggest-tax-cut-in-u-s-history-1493213275

Democrats said the plan appeared heavily tilted toward high-income households. They pointed to lower rates on individuals, the 15% rate for pass-through businesses and estate-tax repeal as significant benefits for some of the wealthiest taxpayers.

Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York, the chamber’s Democratic leader, said the proposal to cut tax rates for pass-through businesses would just benefit high-income people like the president himself.

Most U.S. businesses are pass-throughs, called that because their income and deductions pass through to their owners’ individual returns. That group includes many small firms, but also large global law firms, hedge funds and the president’s own real estate and branding businesses. These businesses don’t pay the corporate tax rate.

Cutting their rates without opening loopholes could require very complex rules and lead to situations where law firm partners receiving profits pay lower tax rates than their junior attorneys do.

“The very wealthy are doing pretty well in America,” Mr. Schumer said on the Senate floor on Wednesday. “God bless them. Let them do well. They don’t need another huge tax break.”

Mr. Cohn said the goal of the plan isn’t to deliver tax cuts to upper-income households. “What we’re doing is we’re just broadening the base of taxable income,” he said. “Their effective rate is what you have to look at.”

But he said the administration didn’t have a particular target yet for how that would be measured.

Among the biggest changes is the repeal of the state and local tax deduction; the effect of that would be to shift the tax burden from low-tax states such as Texas and Florida to high-tax states such as New York and New Jersey. Eliminating the deduction could raise more than $1 trillion over a decade, and it brings Mr. Trump’s plan closer to a plan advanced in the House.

“It’s not the federal government’s job to be subsidizing the states,” Mr. Mnuchin said. “We’re not looking to necessarily raise taxes on the top 1% but we want to get the federal government out of the business of what’s the state’s business.”

Democratic objections will force Republicans to find near-unanimity in their own ranks as they struggle with trade-offs.

“We’re in agreement on 80%, and then that 20%, we’re in the same ballpark,” House Speaker Paul Ryan (R., Wis.) said.

Mr. Mnuchin said the administration’s proposal won’t endorse the border-adjustment feature that is central to the House GOP plan. The provision attempts to raise revenue by taxing imports, but not exports. Mr. Mnuchin said the administration wasn’t opposed to the provision in concept, and that he liked aspects of it. But he said: “We don’t think it works in its current form.”

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I'll be pretty ticked off if I can't deduct all the real estate taxes I pay. I'm in a tax bracket just above poverty though at one time my income was better and I bought land and a second house and having to pay income tax on the too high real estate taxes seems like a serious rip off. I bet there are lots of people who decide to keep renting if the real estate tax deduction is eliminated.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Anyone that has 401k plans has seen their personal wealth increase dramatically since Trump took office. This largely based on the promises he made about the economy. This is all one step closer to keeping these promises.

I don't like paying more taxes or fees or whatever anymore then the next guy, but if I have to do it, I would much rather pay it in the form of higher prices in goods from places like Mexico IF it helps put more Americans back to work.

Much different then the wretched looney liberal point of view where it is good to tax and take all our money because the Gummint knows better what to do with it then we do.

Big difference in my world boys & girls.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll be pretty ticked off if I can't deduct all the real estate taxes I pay. I'm in a tax bracket just above poverty though at one time my income was better and I bought land and a second house and having to pay income tax on the too high real estate taxes seems like a serious rip off. I bet there are lots of people who decide to keep renting if the real estate tax deduction is eliminated.

The Real Estate the Charitable Tax Deductions are both part of this new tax proposal. So you do not have to worry about losing it.