• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker Grouser problem

jpanz

Hello everyone, we have a 1986 model 1642 Tucker at a local small ski area. We are in the process of getting this once abused machine back in service again. Two questions, what is the best way to get the bogey wheel axle out? Second, our grousers are pretty warn out. Has anyone modified their grousers once they are warn out? I will post pictures tomorrow. Thanks in advance. Jim

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Hello everyone, we have a 1986 model 1642 Tucker at a local small ski area. We are in the process of getting this once abused machine back in service again. Two questions, what is the best way to get the bogey wheel axle out? Second, our grousers are pretty warn out. Has anyone modified their grousers once they are warn out? I will post pictures tomorrow. Thanks in advance. Jim

By "bogey wheel axle" I assume you mean the idler wheel spindle....

They have tendency to rust themselves in position, and when they do it can be a PITA to get them out. A couple of years ago I removed all four carriers and some of the spindles were less than cooperative in terms of coming out. Since the carriers were already off the machine it was relatively simple to use a press to provide the necessary persuasion.

If you don't want to remove the carriers I think you're looking at the usual heat and/or BFH techniques.

New grousers from Tucker are expensive. IIRC about three years ago they were roughly $170.00 each. And a 1642 would have 124 grousers...OUCH!

I think I'd try and find some good used ones. As far as places to look for used grousers:
1.) SnoTrans in Weiser, ID
2.) Track, Inc in Bloomington, MN
3.) Cook's Equipment in Newport, VT
4.) Tucker in Medford, OR

Good Luck...and welcome to the Forum!