Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > Preparedness Forum

Preparedness Forum Emergency Preparedness and General Preparedness discussion, Bug out Bag etc.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:17 PM
Mr Lovable

Thanked 16,445 Times in 5,695 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Prepping for biological disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannedjoe View Post
It's not that hard to make a pizza from scratch, esp if you have a bread machine.
I do it rather often.
It just takes time, and who doesn't have a little extra of that these days?
Easy peasy to make the crust by hand. Only raise the dough once. Then you get to practice fiipping it in the air like the experts do.

Hillary for Prison. Trump 2020.
The Following User Says Thank You to TiredRetired For This Useful Post:
Doc  (04-25-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,449 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredRetired View Post
Easy peasy to make the crust by hand. Only raise the dough once. Then you get to practice fiipping it in the air like the experts do.
We talked about this and my wife returned from town today with all the fixings to make pizza. We'll see how this goes. It won't be done tomorrow but it will be interesting.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EastTexFrank For This Useful Post:
Doc  (04-25-2020), Jim_S  (04-22-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 08:22 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Thanked 11,652 Times in 4,526 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexFrank View Post
We talked about this and my wife returned from town today with all the fixings to make pizza. We'll see how this goes. It won't be done tomorrow but it will be interesting.
They sell pre-packed pizza dough mix in pouches. Just add water!

They also sell refrigerated 'tubes' of pizza dough that you pop open like crescent rolls. Just pop the tube and unroll the dough.

We use pizza dough to make tomato flat breads more often than to actually make pizza.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Melensdad For This Useful Post:
Doc  (04-25-2020), Jim_S  (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

That may be the way to do it. As I said, we never make pizza at home because I'm diabetic and there is just too much bread and carbs unless it is an ultra thin crust. My wife prefers the bread to the actual toppings. I like the flat bread idea. I have a thing about smoked salmon flat bread but I do rearrange the topping and leave half the flat bread.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
Old 04-23-2020, 11:16 AM
Mr Lovable

TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melensdad View Post
They sell pre-packed pizza dough mix in pouches. Just add water!

They also sell refrigerated 'tubes' of pizza dough that you pop open like crescent rolls. Just pop the tube and unroll the dough.

We use pizza dough to make tomato flat breads more often than to actually make pizza.
I tried that stuff once. For me, and I am NOT a picky eater, it tastes like shit, to be honest. Now, others may like it, but I sure as hell do not.

BTW, Youtube is full of videos on making pizza dough. Pretty awesome how some folks approach it. Interesting.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiredRetired For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2020, 06:59 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Quote:
I tried that stuff once. For me, and I am NOT a picky eater, it tastes like shit, to be honest. Now, others may like it, but I sure as hell do not.
I don't think we've ever used it to make PIZZA ... the lovely Mrs_Bob has used it to make flat breads that she seasons with garlic, olive oil, and various seasonings.

And more about the possibility of MEAT shortages.

We are going to pick up an on-line order today at the local grocery where they pick it and bring it out to our car.. Our main goal is to get some fresh veggies. But for the fun of it I looked up meat prices after seeing the article that I have linked below. I guess I'm not really seeing a shortage in my area. I also don't really see price spikes in this area. Pork prices seem the same. Beef prices rose before Covid, not sure they have gone up since February? Some of the chicken availability seems to be in shorter supply, and some of the prices seem a bit higher?

I'll say that pork is still available in my area, and the prices are reasonable. Center Rib Pork Roast $4.99/#, tenderloin $5.99/#, center cut chops $5.49/#, Semi-boneless chop $2.49/#.

Beef is still available in my area, prices are what they are; boneless Rib Eye is $15-$17 per pound, ground chuck $4.99#.

Chicken is available but our top choices are in short supply. We prefer thighs to breasts. Boneless thighs are scarce. Bone in, skin on, is $0.99 per pound for the economy stuff but $2.99/pound for the larger, select thighs and $7.99/pound for Organic chicken thighs!!!

Those prices are as of 5:45am Central time, April 25, '20. They seem ONLY VERY SLIGHTLY higher than the prices we paid about a month ago but I'm using my faulty memory so perhaps they are about the same. I do know the low priced chicken thighs have been in the 99-cent/pound range for a couple of months.

ARTICLE FROM THE WALL STREET JOURNAL:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/grocers...ts-11587679833
Quote:
Grocers Hunt for Meat as Coronavirus Hobbles Beef and Pork Plants
Surging consumer demand also tightens supplies; supermarkets brace for shortages

By Jacob Bunge, Sarah Nassauer and Jaewon Kang April 23, 2020 6:10 pm ET

U.S. beef production fell 24% last week, compared with a month earlier.

U.S. grocers are struggling to secure meat, looking for new suppliers and selling different cuts, as the coronavirus pandemic cuts into domestic production and raises fears of shortages.

Covid-19 outbreaks among employees have closed about a dozen U.S. meatpacking facilities this month, including three Tyson Foods Inc. TSN -3.15% plants this week. Other plants have slowed production as workers stay home for various reasons.

Grocery executives at retailers including Walmart Inc. WMT 0.71% and Costco Wholesale Corp. COST 1.69% worry supplies of some products could run short just as demand is surging.

“I have not seen beef sales and all protein behave this way since the Atkins Diet days,” when shoppers bought up meat as part of the low-carb diet, said Jeff Lyons, senior vice president of fresh food for Costco. The warehouse chain is considering new suppliers to shore up its meat supplies, he said....
FULL ARTICLE IS AT THE LINK ABOVE!

- Ayn Rand
Doc  (04-25-2020), Jim_S  (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 08:34 AM
Mr Lovable

Fox News just reported that a total of 8 meat processing plants have closed.

Take that for what it is worth.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TiredRetired For This Useful Post:
Doc  (04-25-2020), EastTexFrank (04-25-2020), Jim_S  (04-25-2020), m1west (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 10:51 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Thought I'd report on the grocery pick up. I've already gotten home and washed everything and put it away.

So here is the update. We got about 50% of what we wanted exactly as we wanted it. Of the remaining 50% we got about 1/2 of other stuff scratched from the order and about 1/2 substituted items. So clearly the local store is suffering from a lack of selection on some items.
I probably should have tried to get more meats. We eat some form of meat every day, I have a lot in the freezers, but there are 'holes' appearing in the freezer and what I ordered will certainly not replace what we have already eaten. And based on what I ordered versus what I got, there are shortages at the store.

MEAT
  • Ordered a pork roast.... out of stock .... they had spare ribs. I took them, not even close to what I wanted but spare ribs are always good.
  • Ordered 4 thick rib eye steaks.... out of stock .... I got 2 thin cut rib eyes + some chuck steaks. Again, not a good substitute but its what I could get.
  • Ordered Oscar Meyer liver sausage.... out of stock .... got Frick's liver sausage
  • Ordered 2 full pork tenderloins and got both of those

Thought I'd try for some desserts:
  • Ordered LACTOSE FREE Vanilla ice cream.... out of stock
  • Ordered Vanilla ice cream.... out of stock, got some peanut butter ice cream
  • Ordered Strawberry ice cream.... WE GOT IT
  • Ordered frozen mini eclairs.... out of stock.... got frozen mini cream puffs

Ordered Lactaid (lactose free milk) MILK.... out of stock, but they had Fair Life lactose free in a smaller bottle at a much higher price!

Ordered some 2# bags of shredded cheese. Couple flavors.... All flavors out of stock in 2# sizes.... got some 8oz bags of the same flavors

Ordered various produce, got everything we ordered EXCEPT for Peaches.

Ordered 8 to 10 various spices, canned and boxed items, mostly from the Asian food aisle, got all the various misc items, but then again I don't think there is much demand for toasted sesame oil, Thai glass noodles or even more common bottles of vanilla extract.

Motts brand apple juice was out but we got Old Orchard brand.

- Ayn Rand
Old 04-25-2020, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

My wife made a flatbread pizza last night from some packaged dough and it was pretty good, not great but definitely worth eating. We'll do it again.

We haven't got meat from the grocery store for quite some time because, to be perfectly honest, it wasn't very good. It was expensive for what it was. It was a lottery, sometimes it was edible and sometimes you couldn't cut it with a chain saw. We started going to Mineola Pack for all our meat needs. We usually get NY strips and ribeyes, small fillets, 3# roasts and ground beef. In pork we get roasts, tenderloins and chops. We don't get chicken as my wife doesn't eat it so I'm on my own for that, besides I have bags of frozen wings in the freezer. I also have Cornish game hens, a couple of ducks and a goose. My wife will kind of pick at a game hen, she will eat parts of a duck and will eat goose. I never figured out this thing of not eating birds. Generally speaking, we are in pretty good shape for meat protein for the foreseeable future.

What does worry me a little bit is that during all the panic buying Mineola Pack closed down their retail sales to the public for 2 weeks to concentrate on filling their commercial orders. If meat is getting in short supply from other sources they may have to do it again in order to meet increased demand.

Old 04-25-2020, 03:58 PM
Mr Lovable

Fox News announced that Tyson Foods has shut down a plant this afternoon.

Sounds more and more like I need to go on a meat recon search and destroy mission this coming week.

Now where in hell did I put those night vision goggles.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiredRetired For This Useful Post:
Doc  (04-25-2020), Jim_S  (04-25-2020), m1west (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 04:33 PM
Bronze Member

Thanked 3,726 Times in 1,238 Posts
m1west is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Fox News announced that Tyson Foods has shut down a plant this afternoon.

Sounds more and more like I need to go on a meat recon search and destroy mission this coming week.

Now where in hell did I put those night vision goggles.
Yea no shit pretty soon pork is going to be $100.00 a pound at the store if you can find it but the farmers will be paying people to take a pig? About time to get a bigger freezer and skip the middle man.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m1west For This Useful Post:
Doc  (04-25-2020), Jim_S  (04-25-2020), TiredRetired (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 07:53 PM
Mr Lovable

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1west View Post
Yea no shit pretty soon pork is going to be $100.00 a pound at the store if you can find it but the farmers will be paying people to take a pig? About time to get a bigger freezer and skip the middle man.
Frigidare and maybe others make a convertible style that can switch between being a freezer or a frig with the flip of a switch. I am looking at a 20 cubic foot one of this type. Cost will be around a grand.

I like the commercial types but they run around two grand and I cannot justify that right now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiredRetired For This Useful Post:
Doc  (04-25-2020), Jim_S  (04-25-2020), m1west (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 08:29 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Frigidare and maybe others make a convertible style that can switch between being a freezer or a frig with the flip of a switch. I am looking at a 20 cubic foot one of this type. Cost will be around a grand.

I like the commercial types but they run around two grand and I cannot justify that right now.
Choices Choices, they all seem to have free delivery, I think I am just going for a straight freezer. 23 CF. for $600.00. Now I am going to look for a local shop, farm or whatever that will fill it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to m1west For This Useful Post:
TiredRetired (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 09:46 PM
Mr Lovable

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1west View Post
Choices Choices, they all seem to have free delivery, I think I am just going for a straight freezer. 23 CF. for $600.00. Now I am going to look for a local shop, farm or whatever that will fill it up.
Smart decision.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiredRetired For This Useful Post:
Doc  (04-26-2020), m1west (04-26-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 03:07 PM
Mr Lovable

Well, I topped off all the freezers today. I found some unexpected good deals. In the meat clearance section they had a bunch of 5 pound tubes of 80% Chuck. I grabbed 4 tubes and left plenty for others. Also found those cheap cut pork chops at 50% off and grabbed 4 packages of those. They yielded 10 pounds of nice looking ground pork.

Good prices on Pork Tenderloins, Stew Meat, Bacon and Boneless Chicken at $1.77 per pound. Bought plenty of all.

Splurged on more McKenzie Breakfast Sausage, Italian Sausage and steaks.

While grinding and vacuum sealing Fox News had a piece where some Tyson big wig is predicting meat shortages for May. He did not sound optimistic. It did not sound good at all.

I cannot stress enough for all hands here to stock up on meats.

Old 04-27-2020, 05:57 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Quote:
I cannot stress enough for all hands here to stock up on meats.
That has been my position all along.
  • Best case scenario, I have a freezer full of meat at good prices and availability continues without issues.
  • Middle scenario, I have a freezer full of meat at good prices when others are buying meat at high prices.
  • Worst case scenario, I have have a freezer full of meat at good prices when others cannot buy meat.

- Ayn Rand
Jim_S  (04-27-2020), m1west (04-27-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 12:00 PM
Bronze Member

Suited up and went to the local grocery store today during old guy hour. Masks are mandatory there now, not many in the store. They had everything I was looking for Beef, chicken, pork all you want. I even scored paper towles limit 2. While I was having some ribeye cut I quizzed the butcher on possible shortages. He said they get there meat from local packing houses that haven't had any problems yet. Said larger cities most stores buy from the mid west and most likely will see some shortage. I am ordering the new freezer today.
The Following User Says Thank You to m1west For This Useful Post:
Jim_S  (04-28-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

My wife went shopping today at the farm at the opposite end of our country road. It's owned by a younger couple who are trying to make a living from the old family farm. We all know how tough that can be especially in these times of no farmer's markets, road side stands and the like. They're the kind of people who my wife likes to try and help. They raise grass fed Angus cattle, some hogs they buy from the FFA kids, free range chickens and eggs. Also, they have a huge greenhouse and cold frame . Anyway, she texted in her order yesterday and got a call this morning to come pick it up. She got some chicken breasts, bacon, lettuce and carrots. She didn't get eggs because his "girls" are not co-operating. That will probably be Monday. I can hardly wait to see these eggs. My S-I-L gets her eggs there and the shells are all different colors, blue, green, yellow, brown, but she says they are the best tasting eggs she's ever had and that's a high compliment from a lady who used to raise chickens for their eggs.

They're working hard at it. I hope they make it. We'll try to help. It's sometimes worth it to pay a little bit more.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EastTexFrank For This Useful Post:
m1west (05-03-2020), marchplumber (07-23-2020), Melensdad  (05-01-2020), PBinWA  (05-01-2020)