• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

tucker track belts

bill w

i have 12 bands of 3 ply firestone cold weather belts for a tucker...they are 6 inch pitch with holes punched on a jig...commercially made,but not by tucker....best offer...i had almost 4000.00 in the full set of 16 bands,...thanks bill w 907 378 9728

bill w

a buddy of mine bought it at the auction,but it has smooth rubber summer tracks.we need to get it ready for freighting this winter.may end up with it when it's all said and done.....Bill w

Boston

And speaking of tucker belts and tracks, is there anyone who makes all rubber tracks that will fit a tucker. I'm considering buying a 1542 but not unless I can retrofit it with rubber tracks.

Thanks ;-)

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I have checked on that it can be done but one must dig deep in to their pockets, as you have to buy new carriers to with the already expensive tracks.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
To run the Tucker "Terra" tracks I'm sure you do need all new carriers - and the price for everything would be "heart-stopping".

I think Hans Hall offers a conversion rubber track system for Tuckers. It's probably a fair bit less than the Tucker setup, but still a whole bunch more than a complete set of new belts.

Boston

Everything can be done for the right/wrong amount of money ;-) which is bound to vary by individual. Me, I'm a small fish in a big pond. But I do have some skills that might help me out on this one. I'm reasonably competent in a machine shop, so if I had some idea of what I'd have to make, I'd know pretty fast if its within my skill range.

Pictures of these alleged carriers ?

I'd be willing to spring for the rubber track, ( I think ) but "heart stopping" sounds a bit daunting. So whats these carriers look like ?

And thanks for the responses. The machine I'm considering can be found here, http://www.snotrans.com/tucker_snocat.html Bottom left. I'd have to retrofit all rubber on it for what I want it for.

I could approach this from a different angle, I just figured out that new set of Terra rubber tracks are about $22,000. Seems pretty steep. I could possibly buy some other all rubber tracks, and if I'm going to be remanufacturing the carriers anyway, just make them to fit a more palatable price track. Most heavy equipment has the option of all rubber tracks. I might as well just figure out the length of these tracks on the 1542 and finding something in that range that I could actually afford.

Last edited:

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
Tucker now offers a rubber track conversion for your current carriers. Hans Hall does as well(as mentioned earlier) ,I had a set of the HansHall,and they gave me no problens for several years,and the current owner loves them. No experience with the tucker rubber conversion tracks,but saw them at the Medford factory,and was told that they had done extensive testing,and no problems.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I talked with them last year and they told me than I would have to buy new carriers and tracks. glad they got off their duff's and came out with an all surface track for the old carriers.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
And thanks for the responses. The machine I'm considering can be found here, http://www.snotrans.com/tucker_snocat.html Bottom left. I'd have to retrofit all rubber on it for what I want it for.

That's mislabeled. It's not a 1542, it's a 1543.

The Tucker nomenclature of this vintage is as follows:
- First two digits represent the track length series. 13XX is short track, 15XX is mid-length, 16XX and 17XX are long track and 27XX is long and extra wide.
- Third digit (always a 4) means it has four tracks.
- Fourth digits refers to the number of doors.

The machine you're considering has three doors, not two. (I owned a 1980 1543 with a front blade.)

As far as the "heart stopping" price: A few years ago I was chatting with someone about track belts for a Tucker and they told me of a mine in central Utah that had swapped their rubber belt and steel tracks for the newer style Terra tracks with new carriers, sprockets, spindles, idler wheels, etc. IIRC the cost was on the order of $60K.

A few years ago I think Tucker only offered the all rubber tracks, however they are again offering both 28" wide and 38" wide steel grouser track options on new machines.

Boston

Lets just say ole Hans is going to have to beat the pants off 60K or its not happening.

On the other hand there's similarly sized (I think) all rubber tracks for Cat, going for about 2k each. Whole lot cheaper than the 22k a set Tucker wants, just for the tracks. Speaking of which does anyone know the actual width and length of the tracks on each designated series ?

Oh and thanks again folks, I'm reading threads but just not finding some of the specifics I'm looking for.

since I'm required to make all these modifications, ( its a long story ) I'd consider just a rolling chassis of the same size as the 1543. But as of yet I've not seen anything like that available.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Based on overall length (and my memory):

1300 series tracks are 69.5 inches long.
1500 series tracks are 76 inches long.
1600 and 1700 series tracks are 92" long.

All of the above are 28" wide.

Boston

I'm betting those are lengths of ground contact. The actual track length is at least twice that long. I'd guess the 75" would end up using a 175" circumference track.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
You'd be long...

I think I mentioned those are the overall length. Tucker generally measures the overall length based on 7 inches of snow penetration so the length includes the radius at the front and back of each carrier.

IIRC my Tucker 1600 series tracks have grousers spaced 6 1/16" inches on center and there are 31 grousers. 31 x 6.0625 = 187.9375 inches.

I think the 1500 series tracks have 25 grousers (though I've seen some with an extra grouser spliced in). 25 x 6.0625 = 151.5625"

Boston

Hands down the nicest restoration on a tucker i've seen yet

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe6sKH0KQXE"]tucker sno cat - YouTube[/ame]

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
A little too much "bling" for me. Beautiful job though...

Boston, the "Gold Standard" of snowcat restoration was done by forum member Weatherby to an ex-USAF Thiokol 601.

There's a lengthy thread on here detailing the progress. Absolutely incredible craftsmanship and the attention to detail is beyond belief. (As an aside, I went to the SEMA show last month in Las Vegas. I saw a huge number of vehicles that were virtually perfect in terms of their paint and overall execution. Weatherby's Thiokol would have been right at home among them. Quite simply it's that good!)

Weatherby isn't on the forum nearly as much as he used to be, but I think it's fair to say he commands tremendous respect.

I highly recommend you pour yourself the beverage of your choice, get comfortable and read through the thread. There's great commentary and lots of photos. I guarantee you'll find it very informative and inspirational. Here's a link: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=7484&highlight=thiokol+601

Briarpatch

My 76, 1644 has 32 grousers and a pitch of 5 7/8". Its amazing how each of these machines are just a little different. Hoping to get mine out for a run over the holidays

Boston

So I've been doing a ton of research this weekend on belts, I've found conveyor belt suppliers that offer patterned belts. Basically steel belted tire tred in linear form. V pattern 12" wide with 1" tread depth reinforced with steel or cloth belting is available.

So my question of the day is, whats the specs on the original belting. width, Thickness, reinforcement, I notice some of the worn ones have cloth hanging out of it, looks like a 3 ply something, just as mentioned in the OP 1st. So whats the width of these belts and whats the spacing. I've got an evil plan brewing just to make my own.

Oh and thanks for the link, Breakfast and Bloody Marry in hand. ;-)

Last edited:
i have 12 bands of 3 ply firestone cold weather belts for a tucker...they are 6 inch pitch with holes punched on a jig...commercially made,but not by tucker....best offer...i had almost 4000.00 in the full set of 16 bands,...thanks bill w 907 378 9728
boy you got screwed big time! should have been about 2400@150 each from falline.
I purchased 9 belts and was just under $1000 but that was 8 years ago, but still sounds like you paid to much, so what do you want for them?

And speaking of tucker belts and tracks, is there anyone who makes all rubber tracks that will fit a tucker. I'm considering buying a 1542 but not unless I can retrofit it with rubber tracks.

Thanks ;-)
why? rubber tracks suck and are way to spendy, but depends on what you are doing with the machine, myself I prefer the rubber metal over solid rubber on my 1742 and will leave a new tucker stuck in deep powder!

Everything can be done for the right/wrong amount of money ;-) which is bound to vary by individual. Me, I'm a small fish in a big pond. But I do have some skills that might help me out on this one. I'm reasonably competent in a machine shop, so if I had some idea of what I'd have to make, I'd know pretty fast if its within my skill range.

Pictures of these alleged carriers ?

I'd be willing to spring for the rubber track, ( I think ) but "heart stopping" sounds a bit daunting. So whats these carriers look like ?

I could approach this from a different angle, I just figured out that new set of Terra rubber tracks are about $22,000. Seems pretty steep. I could possibly buy some other all rubber tracks, and if I'm going to be remanufacturing the carriers anyway, just make them to fit a more palatable price track. Most heavy equipment has the option of all rubber tracks. I might as well just figure out the length of these tracks on the 1542 and finding something in that range that I could actually afford.

first of all sno trans, ha ,your paying top dollar for the machine, Dan Dressler or Justin In parts of tucker quoted me on them once, it was like $8500.00 for a complete retrofit dont quote me for sure it's been a few years, I do have a set of bare shell carriers but not for the new tuckers, but then not too sure what difference they have, the new ones use a different set of boggies but I dont know if the pin holes are the same od id and not sure of the spacing but if they have retrofitted the new to the same old carriers I have a set of them and would let go cheap (have had them for years) and they are on the way to Weiser you could stop and pick them up on your way home! I can take some pics of them if your interested, but I can bet you they are not the same but might be something you could modify etc.. let me know what u think, still think your better off with the Oem ones and you will notice tuckers big dog has went back to the older tracks and dan had told me himself they did not works as good as they had planned, but I see they are offering a 36 0r a 38 wide rubber track now so they actually might have fixed this problem, I watched a vid on youtube of a tucker with the first narrow rubbers on it and it was floundering pretty bad in the powder.
cccccccccyyyyyyyyaaaaaa! humpmaster out!

So I've been doing a ton of research this weekend on belts, I've found conveyor belt suppliers that offer patterned belts. Basically steel belted tire tred in linear form. V pattern 12" wide with 1" tread depth reinforced with steel or cloth belting is available.

So my question of the day is, whats the specs on the original belting. width, Thickness, reinforcement, I notice some of the worn ones have cloth hanging out of it, looks like a 3 ply something, just as mentioned in the OP 1st. So whats the width of these belts and whats the spacing. I've got an evil plan brewing just to make my own.

Oh and thanks for the link, Breakfast and Bloody Marry in hand. ;-)
I got a crate full of belting as well, I could give you better specs than mr black foot but my book is in my machine, might go up and work on it here soon and have intentions of putting all my manuals on the site for everybody, but this is only my third day here, I have been running my 1742 every year since 2002 hr meter has about 3167 on it, also i might mention the metal/rubber tracks give better sapport then the rubber tacks as they flex alot, another thing to consider, like mine is the wide tracks, only real draw back is when you get to pushing drifts the hillside track will climb up the snow that comes over the blade then the track starts to tilt then the guids start to hit the boggies and tear rubber off the wheels, I modified the blad wings and that helped a ton, but with wide tracks you have to keep them on the level or they will damage your boggies!

Last edited:

undy

boy you got screwed big time! should have been about 2400@150 each from falline.
I purchased 9 belts and was just under $1000 but that was 8 years ago, but still sounds like you paid to much, so what do you want for them?

Dude,

No offense. I know you're new here, and we all welcome you. But...

Nobody enjoys being told that they got screwed big time. Plus, you're basing your opinion on prices you paid EIGHT FRIGGIN' YEARS AGO.

News Flash: everything made of rubber has increased hugely in price during the past eight years. Have you priced tires in the past half decade?

And you might consider reading the entire thread before replying to various posts. It makes no sense to ask how much he wants for the belts when he already posted that he sold them previously.

bands are sold...thanks,bill w

Sorry if I'm coming across badly. Forums like this one provide lots of good info for the members. But cluttering it up with out-of-date threads just makes it more difficult to find relevant info.

Dude,

No offense. I know you're new here, and we all welcome you. But...

Nobody enjoys being told that they got screwed big time. Plus, you're basing your opinion on prices you paid EIGHT FRIGGIN' YEARS AGO.

News Flash: everything made of rubber has increased hugely in price during the past eight years. Have you priced tires in the past half decade?

And you might consider reading the entire thread before replying to various posts. It makes no sense to ask how much he wants for the belts when he already posted that he sold them previously.

Sorry if I'm coming across badly. Forums like this one provide lots of good info for the members. But cluttering it up with out-of-date threads just makes it more difficult to find relevant info.

No problem and the name is terry not dude! and I am sorry I did not read the entire post until after, I apologize for that and this is one of the reasons I have never been on these forums, people cant except the facts and that's all I am about! I agree I am no writer and tend to clutter around, but just trying to help, bugs me when people pay to much for something when they could have got it cheaper! dont know what your talking about the rubber prices? i just bought a new set of tires for my 1970 4x4 Chevy pickup from Walmart and paid $650 a decade ago I bought a set from swabs and it was close to $900 so I payed less now than before! you just gotta do the shopping! and why do you guys just keep re-threading to each other instead of doing what I am doing and quoting the post, out dated threads what? then why are they still here? and why all the auctions and Craigslist ad's? If I wanted to shop Craigslist I would be on Craigslist! and your the ones making all the clutter! there are soooooooo many post here! it's just nut's! I have to read three pages of back and forth before I find the answers! ahh never mind.
sorry I upset you but I still think you paid way to much for the belts, I will dig up my receipt from falline and check it for sure, I'm going off memory and my hard drive is getting slooooow, not as sharp as the q tip I used to be! lol
again I apologize if I offended you!
take care and be safe!