• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The Rural plague

Pau Diaz

Banned
From what I've learned, the rural lifestyle can really fuck people up. It's fine for some, but for others, they get ruined in ways they never should have.

Take Johnny Cash for example. His brother got killed in an accident at a workshop. Never mind if Johnny was away fishing, someone else could've filled in for him and prevented his death. The father shitted on himself by turning to drugs for no good reason, (the family was going through hard times, but that was no excuse to hit the bottle), and his mom was a pill popper. No wonder Johnny wanted to leave the countryside and become a singer in an urban landscape. Then came his drug problem, owing to having to make distance from his family as much as it did his heavy traveling schedule and marital issues.

Johnny got over his substance abuse, but he could've avoided it in the first place, or at least experienced it for different reasons than country life costing the life of his brother and fucking up his parents.

There are other examples. This is but one.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Apart from this topic...
Where are you from?
Specifically.
Rural, city?
Please state your city, state or country.
TIA.

Pau Diaz

Banned
Apart from this topic...
Where are you from?
Specifically.
Rural, city?
Please state your city, state or country.
TIA.

I'm from the UK, originally.

I've never lived in a rural setting.

At present, I live in Alcala de Henares, Madrid, one of the frontier towns of the community of Madrid and loving every moment of it.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
From what I've learned, the rural lifestyle can really fuck people up. It's fine for some, but for others, they get ruined in ways they never should have.

Take Johnny Cash for example. His brother got killed in an accident at a workshop. Never mind if Johnny was away fishing, someone else could've filled in for him and prevented his death. The father shitted on himself by turning to drugs for no good reason, (the family was going through hard times, but that was no excuse to hit the bottle), and his mom was a pill popper. No wonder Johnny wanted to leave the countryside and become a singer in an urban landscape. Then came his drug problem, owing to having to make distance from his family as much as it did his heavy traveling schedule and marital issues.

Johnny got over his substance abuse, but he could've avoided it in the first place, or at least experienced it for different reasons than country life costing the life of his brother and fucking up his parents.

There's a lot of speculation in that post.

I don't see a lot of substance.

I was born in a town of 400 people, 400,000 cows, but spent most of my life in Denver and other large cities. There are more sane, rational people in
the little town than Denver,

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
What part of the UK originally?
I lived in West Yorkshire for 6 years.
The Wakefield area.
That's rural and city combined.

Pau Diaz

Banned
There's a lot of speculation in that post.

I don't see a lot of substance.

I was born in a town of 400 people, 400,000 cows, but spent most of my life in Denver and other large cities. There are more sane, rational people in
the little town than Denver,

Jack Cash is dead because of the macine he was using. That happened, owing to the kind of place he was in. He should've lived longer and he would have in a different setting. I did my research.

I have more examples to offer. There's no shortage of them.

Let's look at the former Bella Twins of WWE fame. They were raised on a farm and their parents didn't much care for academics. Both did their best in school, but between soccer practice and carefree guardians, neither Nicole nor Brianna learned many worldly things or developed very large vocabularies.

Now, they left the farm and live in urban settings. They're using more words and learning more facts than they did in their youths and have evolved into very interesting and endearing people, but it was their rural lifestyles that held them back. They are expanding their horizons without obstacles now, but they had to change the kind of environment they lived in and it took some time for the fog to clear.

I know for a fact they have not gone back to live in the country. I wouldn't have, knowing what the fuck that lifestyle would do to me in light of these two women's experiences.

Bamby

Actually I feel quite the reverse is true. People seem to be constantly trying to escape the culture city life represents today and attempt to escape to the country. The biggest issue with this is they also pack up themselves and force their city ways on our country culture and therefor bring their problems with them. I've watched them destroy the area I live over time and there is little or nothing that can be done to stop them.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm from the UK, originally.

I've never lived in a rural setting.

At present, I live in Alcala de Henares, Madrid, one of the frontier towns of the community of Madrid and loving every moment of it.

Well, that explains a lot.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the post mortem psych evaluation of a man long dead who recognized his troubles long before you did.
Mike

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the post mortem psych evaluation of a man long dead who recognized his troubles long before you did.
Mike

:th_lmao::th_lmao::th_lmao::th_lmao::th_lmao::th_lmao::th_lmao:

Ahhh, yeah Mike. You just came up with one for the day. Hahahahaha. Kudos.

Bamby

Jack Cash is dead because of the macine he was using. That happened, owing to the kind of place he was in. He should've lived longer and he would have in a different setting. I did my research.

Perhaps you are right but then again maybe this incident had a lot of influence into making JR into the person we all recognize.

Or perhaps if his brother hadn't died JR may have lived his live without ever gaining any recognition and you, me or anyone outside his community would never have heard of him.

The story goes that Cash’s parents were indecisive about what their fourth child’s name should be. His mother’s maiden name was Rivers, and she stumped for that; his father’s name was Ray, and he held out for that. “J.R.” was a shortcut to avoid conflict. It was not uncommon for Southern kids to have names made of initials in the days of the Depression, and Cash was called J.R. all through his childhood (except to his father, who nicknamed him “Shoo-Doo”). He was still J.R. even after he graduated high school; “J.R.” is the name on his diploma.

It wasn’t until Cash joined the Air Force in 1950 that he had to assign himself a name. The recruiter would not accept a candidate with a name comprised of initials, so J.R. became “John R. Cash.”

He helped dig his brother’s grave
Cash experienced tragedy in his family at a fairly early age, when he was 12. He grew up admiring and loving his brother Jack, who was two years his senior. Jack was a mixture of protector and philosophical inspiration; despite his young years, he was deeply interested in the Bible and seemed to be on his way to becoming a preacher. Jack worked to help support the large Cash family, and while cutting wood one Saturday, he was accidentally pulled into a table saw. The saw mangled Jack’s midsection, and he exacerbated the problem by crawling across a dirty floor to reach help.

Jack lingered for a week after the accident, but he stood no chance of surviving. His death had a profound impact on the young Cash, who until that time had been a gregarious boy, full of jokes. By all reports, he became more introspective afterwards and began to spend more time alone, writing stories and sketches. Jack’s deathbed words about seeing angels also affected him deeply on a spiritual level.

According to his sister Joanne, on the day of Jack’s funeral, Cash went to the gravesite early. He took up a shovel and began to help the workers dig Jack’s grave. At the service, his clothes were dirty from the effort, and he wore no shoes since his foot was swollen from stepping on a nail.

Cash’s devotion to his brother Jack would remain a constant throughout his life, and in an echo of the famous Christian phrase “What would Jesus do?”, Cash would ask himself “What would Jack do?” when he was faced with a difficult situation.

Source

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter

I think Pau just likes to stir up shit with shit. Marty

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
As a person who is rural born, and rural bred, I would like to hand him his ass. I did so but decided to delete my post. The OP was on line at that point, and soon after left here.

I don't care who he is. His words are fighting words in rural America. :boxing: :hammer:

Regards, Kirk

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I think the line about arguing with an idiot applies here: "Never argue with one 'cause he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience"!!
Mike

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The facts for urbanites. :hammer:

In the beginning it was organized Agriculture that freed man kind to live in a collective situation, allowing the minds to think and work outside of trying to survive day by day from the land. That allowed the evolution to mankind to fulfill it's destiny of great accomplishments and discovery... Now the very element created by Agriculture is ready to dismiss us as meaningless.... :hammer::hammer::hammer:

1) Food doesn't come from grocery stores. It comes from rural America. War with us and we will starve your ass out....

2) Cities, every one of them are surrounded by rural Americans. The people that live in them don't seem to get what that really means.

3) There is more privately owned construction equipment in rural America than all the cities combined. So what you say? When the food runs out, and you try and leave the cities to steal from your rural cousins, the road will be breached. Not to mention those pesky transmission lines that carry Urbana there electricity. Not a problem to drop them on the ground for rural beautification. Oh and let us not forget about guns, as we have them. Not just rock throwing hand guns either. Long range high powered rifles, and men who have used them to kill big game in the woods and fields... We have Lots of them, and people who are used to using them. We kill out here for sport. Blood sports, we call hunting. You really want to tangle with us?

Check your history and you will find the States with rural populations were the ones who fought the hardest and were the most feared and most revered in combat. I am telling you that better watch out who you pick a fight with. Your likely to get a very nasty surprise. Democrats are a pitiful lot way out here, so outnumbered.... :smile: :unsure:

Regards, Kirk

Last edited:

Pau Diaz

Banned
What part of the UK originally?
I lived in West Yorkshire for 6 years.
The Wakefield area.
That's rural and city combined.

I lived in the British Isle of Gurnsey until I was 6 years old. It was a town, with no rural elements that I remember. Then I moved to London with my parents to London, where I spent the next 18 years, before moving to Spain, spending 10 years living in a town, before finally landing where I am now.

I never knew the country life in England and only vaguely experienced it a few times when I visited the farm my mother used to live on years before I was born when we sold it, and only when I was a grown man.

So, I've been a mixture of city and town boy in my life.