• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

79 Bombi restoration

indy1

Hi, everyone likes pictures so here is a few of my bombi. I'm using Por-15 silver then I will be top coating with their hardnose paint. Wire brushed, sandblasted, washed with Por's marine clean, then etched the metal with metal ready. I have never used this product (or any kind of autobody products) before so hopefully it turns out!
pic 111 (2).jpg

pic 114 (2).jpg

bombi 005 (2).jpg

bombi 006 (2).jpg

bombi 013 (2).jpg

bombi 018 (2).jpg

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine didn't have the blue light, but it had the same cab and tracks, less rust. I took it to Yellowstone, it made the entire run from West Yellowstone to Old Faithful and back, 76 miles O.K. A bit rough on the 'wop-te-dues' from the snow mobiles. Plenty fast, and very noisy. By the end of the trip every one was riding in the 63 Snow Trac, while my nephew drove the Bombi. The Snow Trac had a much better ride, and the noise was less. I tried skiing behind the Snow Trac while filming with a video cam, but the Park Rangers put a quick stop to that. Lots of folks showed up from many states away only to find out that only Licensed drivers were permitted to operate snow mobiles in the park. There were a lot of Irate people with their kids there. We also got "stopped" by an attractive red headed park ranger who just wanted to "See" the Snow Trac. She said: "We don't ever see these things here". You can buy fuel at Old Faithful. With the exception of the tour Services we were the only Privately owned snow cat's in the Park.

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
What year was that? what if any hoops did you have to jump through to drive those in the park? Thanks.

indy1

Yea they are certainly noisy. More so than the 3 man cab. I am also adding some sound insulating material for the floor, engine compartment, and the walls.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Questions, Questions, Questions! No hassel getting into the "Park", slight fee. >
Wop-te-do's are those annoying bumps that prevent you from going very fast. OH yes and I forgot to mention: At Yellowstone there was a Park Ranger with a Radar Gun about every mile the WHOLE WAY! Posted speed limit was something like 30 MPH. Not a real problem for a Snow Cat, but probably agravating for Snowmobile owners that spent $15,000 on a machine then did another $10,000 in up grades to make it capable of going 150+MPH!
Which reminds me, there is a fairly nice Porsche 912 Motor on E-Bay right now.

RedRocker

I thought yours might have been Italian, we call them whoop-te-do's..:poke: :yankchain: Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

snowbird

I used to listen to a local radio station when I was a kid helping my dad milk cows. I remember an old-time polka with the lines:
"Whoopdee do, whoopde do, It's like heaven when I'm dancing with you", etc.
I think in parking lots they're called speed bumps.

snowbird

indy1, I'm really jealous of your nice straight sheet metal. I just finished putting 3 gallons of bondo on my SV200 and there were rust cancer spots along the bottom of the cab I had to reinforce by welding in some angle iron.
Your project looks super!

indy1

I will be starting the bondo soon, hopefully won't need 3 gallons. As for the nice straight sheet metal that is the result of using a piece of crap camera!

indy1

It has been a long process but the Bombi is finished. I'm getting my pics in order and will post more. Here are some of the body work. I used por-15's restogrip body filler and their straightline body filler. The restogrip filled in the corner welds and gaps very well. Then was topped off with the straightline which sanded very smooth for a nice smooth edge. Both products are very strong also.

Attachments

• bombi 018 (2)forums.jpg
    bombi 018 (2)forums.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 1,065
  • P1020787forums.jpg
    P1020787forums.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,061
  • P1020785forums.jpg
    P1020785forums.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,061

indy1

Sorry for the long delay but here are the pictures of the finished Bombi. The sound proofing I added - helped alot. You can now have a conversation inside while you are driving. I am going to close off and sound proof the open area under the dash, as there is still some noise from the differential. Thanks again for all the info and help during this project.

Attachments

• 187.jpg
    187.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 954
  • 194web.jpg
    194web.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 938
  • 4f90_3.jpg
    4f90_3.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 929
  • DSCF5302.jpg
    DSCF5302.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 938
  • 189.jpg
    189.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 942
  • 192.jpg
    192.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 921

snowbird

Looks super! It appears to me it could have just rolled off the assembly line you did such good work. Hope you enjoy it in the snow.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
where did you get your sound proofing i have been looking for that same style rroduct for my snow trac the best price i can get is $12.00 a linal foot which i estamate will cost about 5 bills imight have a hard time justifing $500.00 to pimp my cat when i can use 50 cent earplugs

snowbird

I once checked with John Deere to see about the soundproofing material they sold bulk for the interior of combines and tractors. I don't remember the cost, but it might be worth contacting them.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry for the long delay but here are the pictures of the finished Bombi. The sound proofing I added - helped alot. You can now have a conversation inside while you are driving. I am going to close off and sound proof the open area under the dash, as there is still some noise from the differential. Thanks again for all the info and help during this project.

Enjoy your Cat ! That is some excellent work you have done on her . Very impressive .:smile: