• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

F&$^(#g salt

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Don't get me wrong. I love the winter and all but the amount of salt they coat the road with up here is ridiculous. For the past few years, the provincial road crews have switched to a more powerful salt to melt the snow and ice from the roads.

Problem is that the crap works too good. At -20 celcius, the roads are soaking wet. Every time you pass an oncoming vehicle, yours gets covered in a thick layer of muddy sludge. On the ground it stays as a liquid but moments after hitting the windshield, it dries to a thick dry sludge you can't see through. And forget about night driving. The crap dries so thick on the headlights that you can't see 10 feet in front of you with your high beams on. And forget about pulling over to wipe them clean. You'd be doing that every 5 kms on the highway. The stuff is dangerous. But necessary as most yuppie millennials can't drive when there's more than 2 snowflakes in the air.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Both washed this week. Only driven to town a few trips.
a4d41459c07a0ebc748342bb4e8a3882.jpg
ef4fcfa2494364e62a1833516815b214.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
And all that fancy electronics on vehicles these days. Pretty much useless up here. That's my backup camera after driving 10 kms after wiping it. Every time I put it in reverse all the sensors are coated with sludge and start beeping like crazy in the truck.
7054e0665a5bed02fbccb9d32d392ad5.jpg

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Here’s one solution . . . :bolt:

Attachments

• 47BFAA66-40AC-4286-8427-7D449B639F7D.jpeg
    47BFAA66-40AC-4286-8427-7D449B639F7D.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 193

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I try to limit my winter driving to my Ranger as much as possible. No fancy electronics, back up cameras or the like.

The underside of the truck and inside doors and fenders gets sprayed with about 3 gallons of bar and chain oil for rust proofing. Supposed to be against the law to use anything but that worthless lanolin based crap but old TR would give a shit if he really cared. :th_lmao::th_lmao::th_lmao:

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
Gee, you would think all those (so called) environmentalists would be screaming,.............

Many places don't even allow salt in water softeners.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
but that worthless lanolin based crap but old TR would give a shit if he really cared. :th_lmao::th_lmao::th_lmao:
That lanolin based crap works really well. ;)
I use Fluid Film brand. I leave stuff outside for years with this stuff. Works awesome

Last edited:

Bamby

Yea, it's $40 a gallon but definitely worth it. A gallon can undercoat probably 4 vehicles.

Worth it... The value of a dollar varies considerably and some of it's derived on how hard one had to work to obtain it.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Well, everyone has their favorite methodology. I tend to be brutally old school and resist some of the new ways of doing things. That is why most of my equipment is older and kept in good shape, use 5 year old cell phones and drive a 15 year old truck. Hell, my Carhartt's are prolly older than most folks. :th_lmao:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'd still be driving my old truck if the frame hadn't rotted away from all the frickin salt they use on the roads.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
They stopped using salt around here until a few bad winters. They still use it sparingly but I am glad to see it back. It's still scary driving around Portland, OR in the snow. The roads are terrible.

Honestly, you wouldn't want to drive in the winter without that salt.

Bamby

I'd still be driving my old truck if the frame hadn't rotted away from all the frickin salt they use on the roads.

They simply don't care they want you buying new and feeding the system. Think Taxes, both sales and income which becomes a major contribution when it comes to a vehicle. If your state? is like WV here you pay 5% sales tax which makes for a good chunk of change itself.

But on top of it they also have what they call personal property taxes that required on vehicles yearly. Back when mine was new almost 20 years ago accounted for a 500 personal property tax bill yearly. So being that new ones today sell at twice the price or a bit more the tax bill to them would be 1K give or take a few dollars.

Today I'd have to set aside 100 a month just to satisfy the tax man. So they're working feverishly to cabbage everything on the road to generate taxes to go to their coffers.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I couldn't believe it. I was doing a brake job yesterday on the f150. It's a 2017 with 70k kms on it. The pads caliper and brackets come off no problem. The rotor on the other hand was rusted solid to the hub. I tried a smaller hammer followed by a bigger one. The thing wouldn't budge. I tried heating it with a torch. Spraying with penetrating oil. No go. Finally I hauled out the 4ft sledge and gave it a few hard hits and it broke free. Unreal. Everything rusted solid. All from the salt.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I couldn't believe it. I was doing a brake job yesterday on the f150. It's a 2017 with 70k kms on it. The pads caliper and brackets come off no problem. The rotor on the other hand was rusted solid to the hub. I tried a smaller hammer followed by a bigger one. The thing wouldn't budge. I tried heating it with a torch. Spraying with penetrating oil. No go. Finally I hauled out the 4ft sledge and gave it a few hard hits and it broke free. Unreal. Everything rusted solid. All from the salt.

Brian, always, always use Permatex Never Seize when reinstalling these parts. The stuff works miracles. I replaced the shocks on my truck a few years ago that I installed back in 2010 and everything came off with no issues. No blue wrench needed.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Some areas are using a beet juice concoction in addition to road salt too. It works at a lower temperature than just road salt. Also makes a nice slushy mess.

We see some of this sprayed in the intersections but not sprayed on the main roadway. So we get some beet juice spray to slush up the things near the stop lights and stop signs. Regular road salt in the straight runs.

https://www.inverse.com/article/39632-beet-juice-melt-snow-ice

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I think that is what they are using here. Things are a slushy mess at -30 celcius. They mix it with regular salt and sand which makes a muddy sludge.