• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

CDC: Coronavirus mainly spreads through person-to-person contact

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
CDC: Coronavirus mainly spreads through person-to-person contact and 'does not spread easily' on contaminated surfaces

Even before COVID-19 officially had a name, public health officials said the virus could be transmitted through infected respiratory droplets and by touching infected surfaces and then touching your nose, mouth, and possibly your eyes. So, people began snatching up face masks, wearing gloves, and ramping up hand hygiene to try to protect themselves.

While touching infected surfaces has always been part of the messaging on how the virus spreads, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently shifted its stance online. The CDC now says that COVID-19 spreads from person to person contact, and then lists touching infected surfaces under a section titled, "The virus does not spread easily in other ways." The CDC adds: “This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about this virus.” The language is a subtle change from the organization’s warning in early March, when it wrote simply that it “may be possible” to spread the virus through contaminated surfaces.

The CDC, which did not respond to Yahoo Life’s request for comment, still recommends that you wash your hands often with soap and water, and routinely clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces to protect yourself and others from the virus.

READ MORE: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cdc...asily-on-contaminated-surfaces-153317029.html

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Throughout this whole fiasco I think a whole lot of mis/dis information has been spread by a lot of people in the medical field and media. I'm curious to know what the 1968 hong cong flu deaths per million was compared to the same for this virus.
Mike

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Throughout this whole fiasco I think a whole lot of mis/dis information has been spread by a lot of people in the medical field and media. I'm curious to know what the 1968 hong cong flu deaths per million was compared to the same for this virus.
Mike
Thanks Lenny. :tiphat: Good info.

Mike i have to agree. A lot of misinformation. Some of it honest mistakes because this something new. But others put out misinformation purposely for reasons only they know and that pisses me off to no end. So frustrating.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Yeah, all of us definitely agree there is a lot of misinformation. Just like the Russian collusion, it is a facade to keep President Trump and conservatives from making America great again.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mike

The 1968 flu killed approximately 100,000 people in the United States. Worldwide it killed approximately 1M people. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1968-pandemic.html

Covid-19 flu entered the US in January or February, in roughly 100 days it has killed approximately 92,150 Americans. We should top 100,000 deaths in June. Probably close in on 250,000 by the end of the year if the trends continue, with the flattened curve, blah blah blah.

In both cases, most of the dead are over the age of 65.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A couple of things to note about the 1968 flu -vs- Covid-19

We don't know when we will get a Covid vaccine to stop it, but assuming we get one in the spring of 2021, there will likely be 300,000 Americans dead based on some projections. Covid will be 3 times more deadly than the 1968 flu.

We do know that Covid has killed almost the same number as the '68 flu in just over 3 months.

We also have MUCH MORE advanced health care services today than we had in 1968. In '68 people who needed help breathing were placed inside an "iron lung" machine and very few of those were in existence. We now have an excess supply of ventilators, newer drugs, better facilities, more ICU beds, etc.

So while none of us are happy with what is going on, few support locking down the nation, it does appear that Covid 19 is far more deadly.

Just using some simple math:
In the first 100 days we lost 92,000+ people so at 365 days it's not unreasonable to assume 300,000 dead.

I don't think any of these statements are controversial, just simple observations and simple extrapolation. Hopefully a treatment is found that can be used to reduce the number of deaths until we get a vaccine. Hopefully we get a vaccine that can be widely distributed before spring of 2021.