• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The THING 1200c

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
I lost the ability to upload pics.

Anyway, Kate sees the virus that the thing uses to take over people - it’s a Coronavirus. Hmmm. Something is telling me I should get working on this soon.

The real reason I was posting was looking for advice on a tank patch. Wondering if it’s better to weld a patch over the top of the hole or cut a patch to weld in flush. It’s about 1 1/2” square and on the bottom of the tank. Maybe it doesn’t matter once it’s coated with the liner. The pin holes can just get welded shut.

I’d add a picture of the tank here:

Tanks in advance!

Mike

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
Tank photo

The virus photo won’t load, must be true!

Attachments

• C7FC66F2-8926-473B-8B34-76D636805624.jpg
    C7FC66F2-8926-473B-8B34-76D636805624.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 208

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
Thing virus, just had to resize photo, thanks Doc

Attachments

• 8CA439BA-9B90-4422-A8D2-A3512726F9FD.jpeg
    8CA439BA-9B90-4422-A8D2-A3512726F9FD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 215

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
I lost the ability to upload pics.

Anyway, Kate sees the virus that the thing uses to take over people - it’s a Coronavirus. Hmmm. Something is telling me I should get working on this soon.

The real reason I was posting was looking for advice on a tank patch. Wondering if it’s better to weld a patch over the top of the hole or cut a patch to weld in flush. It’s about 1 1/2” square and on the bottom of the tank. Maybe it doesn’t matter once it’s coated with the liner. The pin holes can just get welded shut.

I’d add a picture of the tank here:

Tanks in advance!

Mike

Foolish human! We just need it to hold our fuel. Weld a patch over the hole and pin holes.

Thing

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
Foolish human! We just need it to hold our fuel. Weld a patch over the hole and pin holes.

Thing

Cool, thanks for the tip! I haven’t messed with a tank before but that makes sense, I suppose it is just a container. I’ll get started on it tonight.
Patch, prime, paint then tank lining- sounds like a plan.

Mike

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
So, at the risk of offending the por gods Have you explored having it tinned? Patch, yes but then have it tinned. I know we have (had?) a company out here that tin plates gas tanks. While I think that the "paint" method has virtue in extending life, once the tank becomes a colander, perhaps a more metallic repair is called for.

only my input and should not be considered a anti-viral attempt at controlling corona, budweiser, or Heineken viruses.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Cool, thanks for the tip! I haven’t messed with a tank before but that makes sense, I suppose it is just a container. I’ll get started on it tonight.
Patch, prime, paint then tank lining- sounds like a plan.

Mike

IMHO, I wil have a new tank made, aluminum would be a good choice, several companies on line will build a custom tank, good chance they a stock size that are in stock that will fit...

using the sealant inside the tank is not full proof and can you say that you got it completely coated, if not, it will peel and clog up the fuel system

safe and reliable is worth the cost, many times over

and yes Ctom, the tinner is still in Hubbard, just picked up a tank from them last week. great way to save a old tank

we have had stainless tanks built for the early tuckers at a cost of 300 each

Last edited:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Plenty of plastic marine options and I one time I saw a stainless tank in a tucker.

I vote replace. Your kids will thank you eventually.

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks all y’all, I’ll check into those options. I’ve got plenty of other things to keep me busy, not doing the tank gets it out of my workspace that much sooner! Probably faster cheaper better in the long run to go the new route. Like I said, I haven’t had to deal with a tank issue before. I also hadn’t heard of the tinning option, that’s pretty cool. I’m more knowledgeable in dissimilar woods than metals...

Snowy Rivers

Just my 2 cents worth here....

I would replace the tank with either a poly tank (Never rust) or an aluminum or stainless tank (No rust either)
Also a coated tank can end up letting goop loose later down the road and plugging a fuel filter at an unhandy time...

If that old tank is rusted through, what does the inside look like in other places ???

That is certainly a mission critical item and if another spot decides to crack open....probably not going to be in a handy place when it happens either.

Having a good top notch tank is going to eliminate a nightmare in the making....

Just some thoughts..

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
I’ve been picking at this Thing a little bit here and there. The more I dig the easier it is to get at stuff. Not in a huge hurry to get it done so I figured I’d go after the corrosion and get it cleaned up all the way. It looked like the frame and belly could get lifted off leaving the drivetrain on the subframe. I took the bolts out then found the frame has welds on the inside, I’m deciding whether to cut those and get it in a few more pieces. That would make blasting a whole lot easier. Maybe I’ll end up pulling the motor too. I’m in to it this far already so I might just keep going

Attachments

• A895322B-60BA-4B45-A728-BC608E880243.jpeg
    A895322B-60BA-4B45-A728-BC608E880243.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 100
  • D1DC3D82-1281-4714-ACDB-BDBE908AB6CB.jpeg
    D1DC3D82-1281-4714-ACDB-BDBE908AB6CB.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 104
  • 5D32AFE6-EB36-428D-990A-CA9B9AD77C2C.jpeg
    5D32AFE6-EB36-428D-990A-CA9B9AD77C2C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
  • 905BC7A7-3105-4CF3-A429-33074AA59D7E.jpeg
    905BC7A7-3105-4CF3-A429-33074AA59D7E.jpeg