• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Shop locally/don't use self checkouts

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Everyone keeps saying shop locally. Support your local business. But when I go to a store to buy something it seems they're always out of stock and have to order it online. So I should've just opted for sitting on my butt in my living room and ordering it online myself and saved the hassle of going to the store.

Another thing is those self checkouts that everyone seems to complain about. I'm sorry but if I go to a retail store to pick up two items and get to the checkout where there's 10 checkouts but only 2 cashiers working and a long line up at each one because some old lady is wanting a price check to save 25 cents and there's open self checkouts available, guess where I'm going?

Canadian eh!!!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Everyone keeps saying shop locally. Support your local business. But when I go to a store to buy something it seems they're always out of stock and have to order it online. So I should've just opted for sitting on my butt in my living room and ordering it online myself and saved the hassle of going to the store.

Another thing is those self checkouts that everyone seems to complain about. I'm sorry but if I go to a retail store to pick up two items and get to the checkout where there's 10 checkouts but only 2 cashiers working and a long line up at each one because some old lady is wanting a price check to save 25 cents and there's open self checkouts available, guess where I'm going?

Canadian eh!!!

Agreed on both points. I needed some ST tips for my Weller Soldering Iron. Radio Shack used to sell their brand which fit. Radio Shack is gone. Nobody locally sells them now. Same with Kester 60/40 solder. Nope, not going to happen. I just say to hell with it and order right on Amazon. I usually have it in two days.

As for the self checkout, I use them all the time. If I hold my thumb over the bar code I get lots of free stuff. Just kidding. Those self checkouts get me out of WallyWorld and the supermarket in a hurry and that is just fine with me.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I like the self checkouts at Walmart because they always only have 3 or 4 regular check outs open.
There could be 10,000 people in the store. :hammer:

That's why I normally go out of town to do major shopping.
The other chain here in town is just as bad.
6 checkouts, 2 open.

Bannedjoe

I like the self checkouts at Walmart because they always only have 3 or 4 regular check outs open.
There could be 10,000 people in the store. :hammer:

That's why I normally go out of town to do major shopping.
The other chain here in town is just as bad.
6 checkouts, 2 open.

Fortunately, my wife has a higher tolerance for bullshit than I, so she does the major part of our shopping.

The other day I was in town; a 100 mile round trip.
I needed something from wally's.
I went in, picked it up and headed to the registers.
There's like 20 of them.
All were closed except two.

I headed for the self checkouts, and they have been remodeled.
There is now like 10 self checkouts all in their own closed in, corralled area, and there was a line at least 10 deep of people waiting to use them.

"Ol Sam would turn over in his grave.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
So far as shop local - I try to do it as much as possible. I will wait for them to order it is need be within limits. Why? The money I spend locally benefits the community I live in. There is a good chance that that money will be spent again locally. In some religious communities the same dollar is spent between 9 and 13 times before it leaves the community.

In addition, part of my life these days is being a crafter. I sell things I make locally. I can use the business ina income and I strive to support other locals.

Self Checkouts are simply the expected result of the $15 minimum wage push. The problem is, as has been pointed out earlier in this thread. Whatcha gona do? Do you need the stuff or not. We get to "Suck it up cupcake." Folks will finally realize the folly created, but, too late. We won't be able to go back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKQfxi8V5FA

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My problem with locals these days is that all too often they cry local as the only reason to shop with them. If I need a widget and go to the widget store more often than not I will be told that no, they don't actually stock that item, but they can order (at full retail) and it will be here for my pickup in 3-4 days. So I go home and order it on my own for less and it arrives at my door in 2-3 days.

I don't do self check out any more than I go to Jiffy Lube to change my own oil. It's part of the service. I used to spend the majority of my food dollar at Kroger. They now have a person stationed at the checkout insisting you use the self checkout. Again, part of the service. Food Lion still gives me the service. Kroger personnel allocation would be better if that person at the self checkout was operating a checkout.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So I had another "shop local" frustrating moment a few weeks ago. We decided to get a laptop for one of the kids who is going into high school this year. So I take him down to the electronics store and we look at all the options they have and pick one out. The salesperson says that I should come back tomorrow as they are having a big sale. So I leave and go back the next day. We find out that the one we chose isn't on sale so we couldn't have gotten it the day before.

It's a 20 minute drive one way to get there. Now I've done the trip twice. We decided that we would just get it anyway. Here's where I really lose my cool. I tell the salesperson that we want to buy it so he checks and guess what....they don't carry inventory in store but they can order it and I go back and pick it up in a week or I can order it myself online and it will be shipped to my house.

I about lost it. You mean to tell me that I made 2 trips into the city to buy a laptop and I still have to sit at home and order it online? I could have saved my time and money and just ordered it online in the first place. Needless to say that they lost a customer. I'll boycott them the same way I do to Walmart.

On that topic, I went to Walmart to buy a new battery last winter. It's -40 and the automotive department has a side entrance. I park and try to go in. It's 5:02pm. The door is locked. I walk around the building to the main entrance and head back to the batteries. I find the one I want then go to the automotive checkout where some east Indian tells me that it's closed so I have to carry it to the front to pay. They have one check out open at the front and I have to stand in line for 20 minutes. It's finally my turn. I have both the old and new batteries in a cart as I planned on exchanging the core. Another east Indian tells me that I have to bring it to customer service at the opposite end of the store in to get the core exchanged. I walk all the way there with both batteries where I have to again stand in line. Keep in mind that I'm disabled and can't stand for long. After all this, I'm hurting. It's finally my turn. I get to the desk where yet another east indian worker who can barely form a complete sentence in English tells me that I have to go to automotive for batteries. I lost it. I took the new battery out of the cart and left it sitting on the floor right in the middle of the aisle then politely told them where they could shove it. I made my way back to my vehicle with the old battery and drove down the block to a local garage. Someone comes out and carries it in for me. I buy a new battery and they carry it out to the truck and I head home. In and out in 10 minutes. I paid $10 more but wasn't treated like just a number in line.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
So I had another "shop local" frustrating moment a few weeks ago. We decided to get a laptop for one of the kids who is going into high school this year. So I take him down to the electronics store and we look at all the options they have and pick one out. The salesperson says that I should come back tomorrow as they are having a big sale. So I leave and go back the next day. We find out that the one we chose isn't on sale so we couldn't have gotten it the day before.

It's a 20 minute drive one way to get there. Now I've done the trip twice. We decided that we would just get it anyway. Here's where I really lose my cool. I tell the salesperson that we want to buy it so he checks and guess what....they don't carry inventory in store but they can order it and I go back and pick it up in a week or I can order it myself online and it will be shipped to my house.

I about lost it. You mean to tell me that I made 2 trips into the city to buy a laptop and I still have to sit at home and order it online? I could have saved my time and money and just ordered it online in the first place. Needless to say that they lost a customer. I'll boycott them the same way I do to Walmart.

On that topic, I went to Walmart to buy a new battery last winter. It's -40 and the automotive department has a side entrance. I park and try to go in. It's 5:02pm. The door is locked. I walk around the building to the main entrance and head back to the batteries. I find the one I want then go to the automotive checkout where some east Indian tells me that it's closed so I have to carry it to the front to pay. They have one check out open at the front and I have to stand in line for 20 minutes. It's finally my turn. I have both the old and new batteries in a cart as I planned on exchanging the core. Another east Indian tells me that I have to bring it to customer service at the opposite end of the store in to get the core exchanged. I walk all the way there with both batteries where I have to again stand in line. Keep in mind that I'm disabled and can't stand for long. After all this, I'm hurting. It's finally my turn. I get to the desk where yet another east indian worker who can barely form a complete sentence in English tells me that I have to go to automotive for batteries. I lost it. I took the new battery out of the cart and left it sitting on the floor right in the middle of the aisle then politely told them where they could shove it. I made my way back to my vehicle with the old battery and drove down the block to a local garage. Someone comes out and carries it in for me. I buy a new battery and they carry it out to the truck and I head home. In and out in 10 minutes. I paid $10 more but wasn't treated like just a number in line.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Dayum!

I am always amazed by the people who work in retail who have no clue from where comes their paychecks.

The customer may not be "always right." But they should always be served.

…..for the record, I refuse to use the self service checkouts.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Dayum!

I am always amazed by the people who work in retail who have no clue from where comes their paychecks.

The customer may not be "always right." But they should always be served.

…..for the record, I refuse to use the self service checkouts.

anyone been to the bank lately? Couple weeks ago I bought an old COOT so I had to go to BofA on Saturday when I went in the line was 30 people long so I went to the merchant window as I am a merchant to be informed that it is not a merchant window on Saturday. While standing in line I observed the 2 tellers with 8 other empty windows and 4 people at desks in the loan department with no customers doing nothing. When got to the window the girl asked how my day was. Explained it could have been a little better with some customer service so people don't have to wait a 1/2 hour to get some money while there are 2 tellers with 4 people doing nothing. She informed me they had the right amount of tellers and the others were in a different department even though you could see they are doing nothing. I asked her why they had so many extra teller windows if they have the right amount and the line is 30 minutes long. She went on tilt and wouldn't even make eye contact after that. Marty

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
It must be the same no matter what business you use, store, bank, on and on.
My oldest son was just telling me how he went in the office at Spectrum.
3 women behind a long desk chatting with a man leaning over the desk.
He said he kept looking and waiting, even making eye contact with those women.
They continued to shoot the breeze for another 10 minutes.
He finally walked out before saying I'll be back when you think you can be bothered with customer service.